Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of converting to vegetarianism! What are some typical meals that fellow veggies make? I'm going to try out new recipes, but definitely also want some quickie type ones when I don't feel like going "all out." Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 AM

69 posts, read 184,287 times
pasta, sandwiches, rice/bean bowls, tostadas, burritos, soups, chilis, stir fry's, vegetable fajitas are one of my favorite meals, just saute a bunch of vegetables and serve with guacamole and salsa on corn tortillas.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
It changes for me with the seasons! At this time of year, what I made last night was very simple and satisfying! Summer is so great for vegetarians!

Marinated portabella mushrooms in oil lemon juice and fresh herbs (bottled Italian dressing works well too) For the non-vegans, we topped it with Alpine lace cheese

Fresh local corn on the cob

cucumber salad or tossed salad of your choice.

Sliced tomatoes.

Soy hot dogs for the kids ( mornigstar, not dogs, what ever you have locally)

cantelope.

Thick of potatoes are great grilled too! As are sweet onions, peppers, zucchini and veggie burgers.

ENJOY!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:46 AM

Thank you for the ideas!! I already hit the grocery store to get all my "dry" and "storage" type ingredients... will be going to the farmer's market Saturday morning to get all my fruits and veggies! It seems like Mexican type food is one of the easiest to make veggie - tacos, burritos, quesadillas, etc. I have a great recipe for a cucumber/tomato salad that I may just have to make this weekend as well Yummmmm

Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Pasta dishes are great in the summer! Just cook your favorite pasta and mix with whatever fresh veggies you pick from your garden or at the farmer's market. I like to use diced red, green and yellow bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and then stir in some fresh herbs, especially chives, cilantro or basil. Drizzle with some olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and whatever other seasonings you like. An easy, healthy, colorful meal!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Here's another - went to a farmer's market today and made a dinner made of random good veggies! I didn't plan - I just bought what was really fresh looking.

-sauteed minced onions and garlic in olive oil
-. added sliced salted and rinsed eggplant, and thinly sliced white potatoes.
` add sliced summer squash - yellow and green
- add thinly sliced cabbage
` large plump and ripe tomatoes
` simmer for one hour.

I added herbs from my garden - basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley.

Served with a crusty whole wheat bread.

Again, this is a seasonal dish. I used the fruits of my garden and the offerings of my local Farmer's market.

Everyone LOVED this! Although it was not planned, I already have requests to serve this again!
-

Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sounds good. I don't usually like vegetarian food because it is so heavy in carbs. Those don't sound like carbo loading.

I had a vegetarian friend, and I thought he was unhealthy with all the fat, sugar, and carbs he ate. I am almost vegetarian, I never cook meat, hardly ever buy it. I eat mainly vegetables, fruit, and whole grains. Not too crazy about lots of legumes though.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Here's another - went to a farmer's market today and made a dinner made of random good veggies! I didn't plan - I just bought what was really fresh looking.

-sauteed minced onions and garlic in olive oil
-. added sliced salted and rinsed eggplant, and thinly sliced white potatoes.
` add sliced summer squash - yellow and green
- add thinly sliced cabbage
` large plump and ripe tomatoes
` simmer for one hour.

I added herbs from my garden - basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley.

Served with a crusty whole wheat bread.

Again, this is a seasonal dish. I used the fruits of my garden and the offerings of my local Farmer's market.

Everyone LOVED this! Although it was not planned, I already have requests to serve this again!
-
YUM that sounds delicious!!! I'm going to the farmer's market first thing tomorrow morning - can't wait to see all the goodies I end up with

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sounds good. I don't usually like vegetarian food because it is so heavy in carbs. Those don't sound like carbo loading.

I had a vegetarian friend, and I thought he was unhealthy with all the fat, sugar, and carbs he ate. I am almost vegetarian, I never cook meat, hardly ever buy it. I eat mainly vegetables, fruit, and whole grains. Not too crazy about lots of legumes though.
I also have veggie friends that are "unhealthy" and they even know it! They constantly eat just pasta, etc. To me, that's more of someone that just "doesn't eat meat" than a true vegetarian. I definitely want to get as much variety as possible and am not huge on carbs either

Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I've even know "vegetarians" who claim they hate vegetables and never eat them at all! They don't eat meat either but instead live off bread, pasta, and desserts.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I've even know "vegetarians" who claim they hate vegetables and never eat them at all! They don't eat meat either but instead live off bread, pasta, and desserts.
LOL. That sounds like my g-daughter. I love my vegetables and I could eat beans and rice, 3 times a day.....my problem is that I love it too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food