Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,349,947 times

Advertisements

8 Foods You Didn’t Know Contained Meat | Blisstree

someone posted this on FB and found it interested an thought i share it on here since i started posting on this section about becoming a vegetarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,803,738 times
Similar thread from a while back:

Nine surprising items made with animal ingredients

It pays to be vigilant!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,349,947 times
thanks. i just started cutting meat out. I do eat fish.

I notice a big difference in my well being.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:03 AM

553 posts, read 1,541,979 times
Very interesting article, thanks for posting it OP.

I only have 3 points to add to this topic:

Are bugs considered an "animal"? I have no problem with killing them when they are in my house. So I guess I could care less that they are used in candy coloring. Plus, anyone on a healthy vegetarian-ish diet most likely doesn't eat candy anyway.

A super health conscious vegan wouldn't put any of those food items in their mouths to begin with. No dairy, no junk food, and no fattening alcohol.

Another item they didn't mention is Cesar salad dressing. It contains anchovies too.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:50 PM

105 posts, read 572,744 times
A *lot* of people are not aware that cheese has a product in it called rennet (except for those vegan cheeses which expressly say they do not), made from the stomaches of calves (baby cows, taken from their mothers nearly at birth, so mom can get pregnant and give milk -- which no one should be drinking anyway). The calves are usually slaughtered for veal.

Like all mothers, the cow cries piteously when the calf is taken from her, and frequentlly calls to it for days. The baby is in hell, of course.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,691,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligali View Post
A *lot* of people are not aware that cheese has a product in it called rennet (except for those vegan cheeses which expressly say they do not), made from the stomaches of calves (baby cows, taken from their mothers nearly at birth, so mom can get pregnant and give milk -- which no one should be drinking anyway). The calves are usually slaughtered for veal.

Like all mothers, the cow cries piteously when the calf is taken from her, and frequentlly calls to it for days. The baby is in hell, of course.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of.
1. if it's actual cheese, it's made with dairy, and vegans won't eat it. So vegans aren't really going to concern themselves with which type of cheese they're eating. They'll eat something that isn't cheese, that's made to resemble cheese, and is likely made from various vegetable proteins, hydrogenated vegetable oil and artificial flavorings.
2. not all cheeses are made with rennet, and there are several types of rennet, including vegetable rennet, and microbial rennet, neither of which come from any animal's stomach. Cheeses made from these types of rennet are okay for lacto-vegetarians to consume, but not for vegans, since it's still made with milk, which is a product of animals.
3. only cheese made with cow's milk would be made from calf's rennet. Goat cheese would be made with goat rennet.
4. Some cheeses made with cow's milk, are made with -older- cow's rennet, rather than calf rennet, to produce a different type of cheese.
5. most american cheese are -not- made with animal rennet, because the fake stuff is cheaper.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:46 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,799,811 times
As a strict vegetarian for the last 11 years who, for better or worse, has been overtaken with laziness and opted for chips and beer more times than he'd care to admit...

1. Lays Potato Chips (and chips in general): you absolutely have to read the label! Barbecue Baked Lays, Buffalo Wing Ruffles, and Salsa Verde Doritos contain chicken; Sour Cream Lays, Barbecue Ruffles, and Spicier Nacho Doritos do not.

2. The vast bulk of parmesan cheese - domestic or imported - does not contain animal rennet. It's cheaper to make it without it, or to use vegetable rennet.

Thank god that Flamin' Hot Fritos use no meat.

3. Lea & Perrins does use anchovies; A1 does not, and neither do higher-end (and better tasting, less-processed) sauces like Stubb's. Although I don't miss the taste of meat, I occasionally miss the taste (and smell) of a good barbecue - mesquite smoking is perfectly natural and vegetarian! I've made a variety of proteins that were smoked or barbecued in sauces... though I prefer to make my own. It's pretty easy.

4. Who the f would eat Velveeta anyway? Ugh... my intestines burn just thinking about the crap. Can't believe I ever actually liked the stuff as a kid.

5. As far as lanolin in Minute Maid Calcium OJ is concerned: it is not vegan as it is animal-derived, but would be considered as being in the same boat as dairy, since the animal's life is not required for its production (it is secreted by a gland in sheep, is a natural waterproofing agent in wool, and is separated from the wool in its industrial production process).

6. Altoids use gelatin, and it's really a shame, since there are so many animal-free and less-grotesque alternatives (ground bones FTL)!

7. Guinness. Really is a shame... not because Guinness is super-good (it's actually pretty watery as far as stouts go), but because it's the only stout that you can find with ease at most bars, and stouts are my favorite types of beers.

For a classic British Isles stout that is 100% vegan, and drastically better, try Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout or Imperial Stout, both of which are totally animal-product free, much more flavorful, and also have a way higher alcohol by volume (ABV) so they'll get you tanked faster All of Samuel Smith's beers are certified vegan.

The article is erroneous in referring to Guinness as an ale (it is most certainly not) and also implying that most ales use isinglass, derived from fish bladders. The vast majority of ales - including nearly all in the US - don't use isinglass. Most common beers (Bud, Corona, etc) are vegan, as are most finer microbrews like Lagunitas.

This is a great resource for other vegetarian and vegan drinkers: All beer companies A-F

8. Smarties are basically pure sugar anyways... haven't touched em since I was a kid... carmine is used in some foods dyed in the red spectrum, so I always make sure to check labels, especially with ice cream (carmine is common in strawberry ice cream).

Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 22 days ago)

1,988 posts, read 3,313,959 times
For vegans who DO enjoy junk-foods now and then - i was recently told that Doritos Sweet & Spicy are vegan, as are Oreos

Dont know if it's true... i eat them on the rare occasion, but i'm pescetarian.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,782,435 times
As a long time vegetarian and now pescatarian..i don't sweat the small stuff and live happily. But i became vegetarian because i hate the taste of meat and the thought of eating dead beasts is gross..not for the poor animals or religious reasons.

I had something a couple weeks ago that must have had some beef or chicken stock...i had that disgusting film on my mouth for a whole day..made me sick...eww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food