Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 AM

250 posts, read 379,472 times

Advertisements

Being a person who is concerned about what I put into my body, I would have a hard time dating someone who wasn't concerned about it to some degree. At the same time I could never date someone who was defined by their diet or identified themselves by diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
I would if we had separate kitchens, dishes, etc, and maybe even separate dwellings. I was a carnivore once, and with patience, and a longing to give up meat a lot of people were patient with me. In time, I would hope that my vegan food, and love for animals would be enough to help him to make his kitchen vegan as well. Instead of junk foods, I would be making him vegan cheesecakes (and they do tase good) and meat alternatives. It would be kind of sexy to share meals every now and then, but forever NO to meat, eggs, and dairy on my part.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM

438 posts, read 946,976 times
I've considered trying out vegetarianism, because I don't care for the meat industry practices. But the husband is not giving up meat any time soon (although we're aiming to try a vegetarian diet week per month). That being the case, I'm not giving up meat because even if I did, our income is still being spent on it via hubby. I love meat...I don't want to give it up unless there is a financial impact on the companies selling it, which there wouldn't be. Not to mention the cat and dog are obligate carnivores...

Old 10-06-2013, 02:21 AM

8 posts, read 42,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Do you think the animals would choose to be born into a life of torture and pain? It isn't like they spend their lifes running, playing and kicking up their heels in sunny fields.

Some of my extended family members are farmers. They consider themselves to be "good" farmers, and don't use factory farming methods. They turn the animals out in the fields during the day and bring them into the barn at night. However, they still separate the mothers from the babies soon after birth. The babies are placed in a separate area to be raised until time to send to market. I have been present when the babies are taken from the mothers, and it is heartbreaking. The mothers cry and bawl for their babies. When they are let out into the pasture they run and search everywhere for their babies. The babies bawl constantly, and are fed with milk poured into buckets with nipples. They have to suck on the nipples to get their milk, while their mothers are crying and searching for them.

Bingo

Old 10-06-2013, 10:12 AM

20 posts, read 27,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
How about the argument that animals raised for food would otherwise never have been born anyway? Does this have any bearing on anyone's feelings about the meat industry? Or the argument that using fur, meat and leather is truly a "green" way to live.
I could not kill anything to eat it unless maybe my children were starving, so you are right that if more people really thought about the source of the meat in the grocery store, they would stop eating it.
I am set in my ways, and do not want to live on grains and berries and vegetables, so I guess I will just continue to turn a blind eye.
So this is rather off topic and responding to a very old post, but for the record:

The vast majority of animals raised for food live pretty horrific lives, in cages or feedlots where they can't walk, turn around, or lie down; bred and drugged so they grow to the point that they can't support their own weight (and are incidentally creating antibiotic-resistant superbugs); then transported to a slaughterhouse where they are frequently butchered, scalded, and/or defeathered while still alive. You don't have to take my word for it, there's plenty of footage available if you decide to not turn a blind eye. So yes, we prefer that these animals not be born at all than be born to an unnaturally abbreviated life of torture, pain, and cruelty.

In what way is using fur, meat, and leather a green way to live? Raising animals for food is incredibly damaging to the environment - animals need to be fed before they grow enough to be killed for you, and they are fed primarily Montsanto's GMO corn and soybeans. This supports soil destroying monoculture, is poorly absorbed by animals who did not evolve to eat corn leading to enormous amounts of waste (have you heard of waste lagoons?) and methane, and is incredibly inefficient in terms of energy and water required to get that bit of meat to you, compared with you just eating plants in the first place. Even "humane" family farms are still environmentally a poor choice, as they can't convert 100% of that food into meat on their bodies that you want to eat - they need to expend energy on breathing, digestion, maintaining bodily functions, etc. It is always more inefficient to feed a vegetable to a cow and then eat the cow than it is to just eat the vegetable yourself.

You could not kill anything to eat it, so don't let animals be killed for you - grains, berries and vegetables are pretty great. I don't actually eat so many berries, but maybe try this jambalaya! It's pretty great. Veggie Jambalaya Recipes

And on topic, I could not seriously date a meat eater. It's not about meat in my house, I just couldn't have a serious relationship with someone who thought it was ok to eat animals. Don't worry, OngletNYC, we don't want to date you either.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:42 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiblue View Post
It is always more inefficient to feed a vegetable to a cow and then eat the cow than it is to just eat the vegetable yourself.
Not specifically true. For instance try feeding yourself grasses, hay, alfalfa, silage, etc. and tell me how far you get with that.

Quote:
And on topic, I could not seriously date a meat eater. It's not about meat in my house, I just couldn't have a serious relationship with someone who thought it was ok to eat animals.
But you're ok with the fact that the person is either too ambivalent or ignorant to realize that animals die no matter what type of diet they choose? It's ok for 1,000 little fuzzy critters to die in the combine that cultivates and harvests vegetables, just as long as they don't get eaten by anyone. Brilliant.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
so you all must hate your forefathers and relatives...how coquettish are you?

judging others for the way they eat and being so closed minded as to pigeon hole yourselves into a...forget it, do what you want, just stay in your closed little world...youll be better off there, for everyones sake

Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Not specifically true. For instance try feeding yourself grasses, hay, alfalfa, silage, etc. and tell me how far you get with that.
The vast majority of fed for meat sold in the US consists of things that can be directly consumed by people. Grass-fed beef represents a very small share of the market and could never replace what is currently consumed, that is, if people only consumed grass-fed beef they would have to dramatically reduce their beef consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
But you're ok with the fact that the person is either too ambivalent or ignorant to realize that animals die no matter what type of diet they choose? It's ok for 1,000 little fuzzy critters to die in the combine that cultivates and harvests vegetables, just as long as they don't get eaten by anyone. Brilliant.
Per calorie grains, legumes, fruits, etc result in much less animal deaths than meat eating.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
many species wouldnt even exist if it werent for our love to eat them...animal ethics aside, veganism is something new to the world only because people are softer, put a group of vegans in a cold climate and see what would happen. theres a reason your forefathers were not vegans, its not that they were too stupid or clueless about growing enough plant foods, it was due to one thing, nutritional fact. if it works for you great, but dont go hating on others because they dont follow your way of life, live and let live.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
theres a reason your forefathers were not vegans, its not that they were too stupid or clueless about growing enough plant foods, it was due to one thing, nutritional fact.
It had nothing to do with "nutritional facts" and up until the industrial era the vast majority of Europeans were consuming a semi-vegetarian diet.

Vegan and vegetarian diets supply one with all the nutrition they need, the fact that one would have found it difficult to be vegan 200 years ago or in extreme northern climates isn't relevant in today's world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food