Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Wait, she doesn't all your weightlifting and cardio as working out!?
No Cliffie, and that's the crazy thing! I walk 3 or 4 times a week, (she would prefer that I run) I lift weights every day for muscular definition, I swim in the summer, and ride my bike in nicer weather for transportation, and exercise.

She seems to dislike it if the bicycle riding is also accomplishing a task, or is a form of transportation.

It seems that if a Gym is not involved, the exercise is some hoe "not genuine"

There is this strongly competitive streak in my family, and she is especially imbued with this trait. This is why I maintain healthy boundaries with all of them!

Offering advice, in my extended family, is often a way of saying "I don't approve" We also have very different bodies.

She is 5'7" and was a stick thin ectomorph. She is kind of gangly and gawky, to be honest. Yet she always used the word "tall"with the word "pretty" as though there is an absolute connection between the two.

I, on the other hand, an 5'3" I have a more athletic, compact, cheer leader's body.I am happy with my body, but it seems that she is not and always gives me "the once over" as though I would look better if I lost 8lbs and somehow, grew four inches.

This might be why I don't see he as much as she would like. I feel like saying "ENOUGH" - but I know it would just lead to a nasty argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM

653 posts, read 945,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have a first cousin who is more like a sister to me. I love her and we get along well about most issues.

There are two areas where we disagree. One. She is a hypochondriac. She reads way too much about illnesses. She is also obsessed with vitamins. I take a few vitamins, but her kitchen looks like GNC.
She is also a hard core meat eater. I have never ever preached to her about not eating meat. I don't bring the topic up. When I first became one she asked me why and was very accepting - in fact more than many members of my family.

Lately, however, she can not have a conversation with me without mentioning "how dangerous soy is" and how she stays away from it" She also talks about how much "I need protein." She "worries about my low protein intake"

I am getting sick of hearing it. I have assured her that I do not eat soy at every meal or every day. Also, that much misinformation about soy is being spread by the meat and dairy industry. You know the usual things.

She knows that I'm not a health vegetarian. Is she threatened by my way of life or what?
The greatest lesson I've learned is to thank them for their concerns and then change the subject. She has made her point, it's now time for the two of you to (quietly) agree to disagree (because if you say that out loud, she'll likely keep going lol).

Old 03-04-2012, 12:40 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
SOY is evil because I believe it is now fully a GMO product. I have had terrible reactions on my face after eating soy including swelling. I avoid any ground beef sold in stores and eat strictly grass fed. I haven't had any issues with contamination since that time. You would be surprised that soy is in tons of food items just like corn syrup.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,275 times
I don't have any problem finding non-GMO soy. Maybe you're allergic. Some people are.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Perhaps you should make some awesome chocolate tofu vegan cupcakes, and give them to her. She may change her tune on "soy".

Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
SOY is evil because I believe it is now fully a GMO product. I have had terrible reactions on my face after eating soy including swelling. I avoid any ground beef sold in stores and eat strictly grass fed. I haven't had any issues with contamination since that time. You would be surprised that soy is in tons of food items just like corn syrup.
Wells see I avoid BEEF, so this is pretty irrelevant, especially on a vegetarian forum.

I am allergic to CRUELTY. I stay away from the tortured flesh of Animals.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
No Cliffie, and that's the crazy thing! I walk 3 or 4 times a week, (she would prefer that I run) I lift weights every day for muscular definition, I swim in the summer, and ride my bike in nicer weather for transportation, and exercise.

She seems to dislike it if the bicycle riding is also accomplishing a task, or is a form of transportation.

It seems that if a Gym is not involved, the exercise is some hoe "not genuine"

There is this strongly competitive streak in my family, and she is especially imbued with this trait. This is why I maintain healthy boundaries with all of them!

Offering advice, in my extended family, is often a way of saying "I don't approve" We also have very different bodies.

She is 5'7" and was a stick thin ectomorph. She is kind of gangly and gawky, to be honest. Yet she always used the word "tall"with the word "pretty" as though there is an absolute connection between the two.

I, on the other hand, an 5'3" I have a more athletic, compact, cheer leader's body.I am happy with my body, but it seems that she is not and always gives me "the once over" as though I would look better if I lost 8lbs and somehow, grew four inches.

This might be why I don't see he as much as she would like. I feel like saying "ENOUGH" - but I know it would just lead to a nasty argument.
That is nuts, frankly. Would she say that in the old days, when people were slaving over a hot cornfield without internal combustion engines, that the farmers weren't getting any exercise!?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Wells see I avoid BEEF, so this is pretty irrelevant, especially on a vegetarian forum.

I am allergic to CRUELTY. I stay away from the tortured flesh of Animals.
That is excellent. I was also vegan for a long period of time as I rarely eat meat at all. My diet is already extremely restrictive as I don't eat anything with dairy, wheat, soy, eggs, or onion.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:35 AM

Beef, (cow) pork (pig) etc. That is evil.

I am not a veg*n for my health. But I feel and look good. Nice side benefit.

I think eating animals is disgusting and cruel.

Soy is NOT the only thing that I eat.

She eats eggs and bacon on a roll...oh with cheese, for breakfast.

Compared to that, I have NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. Karmicly or in terms of health.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
I have a first cousin who is more like a sister to me. I love her and we get along well about most issues.

There are two areas where we disagree. One. She is a hypochondriac. She reads way too much about illnesses. She is also obsessed with vitamins. I take a few vitamins, but her kitchen looks like GNC.
She is also a hard core meat eater. I have never ever preached to her about not eating meat. I don't bring the topic up. When I first became one she asked me why and was very accepting - in fact more than many members of my family.

Lately, however, she can not have a conversation with me without mentioning "how dangerous soy is" and how she stays away from it" She also talks about how much "I need protein." She "worries about my low protein intake"

I am getting sick of hearing it. I have assured her that I do not eat soy at every meal or every day. Also, that much misinformation about soy is being spread by the meat and dairy industry. You know the usual things.

She knows that I'm not a health vegetarian. Is she threatened by my way of life or what?
She sounds like a nosy pain in the patoot to me, your diet is your business and none of hers. The next time she mentions it tell her that you prefer eating soy instead of eating Bessie and there is no reason to discuss it further, leave it at that. If she persists walk away mid sentence if you cannot get her to change the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food