Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times

Advertisements

I actually really like the meat analouges. And not because they're "faux meat." I just really love the taste, especially Quorn products. I'm actually starting to forget what chicken and beef taste like... and I couldn't be happier!

And then of course there are the few meat eaters that give me a hard time about being vegetarian. I don't understand the point of that. I don't give people a hard time for eating meat, so why do they feel it's necessary? Must be a defense mechanisim, maybe they feel inferior? I stopped talking to the few people that did treat me like that - It's MY choice and if they can't respect it, then they're no friend of mine. All of my other friends are really supportive and most of the time don't even bring it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 AM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I actually really like the meat analouges. And not because they're "faux meat." I just really love the taste, especially Quorn products. I'm actually starting to forget what chicken and beef taste like... and I couldn't be happier!

And then of course there are the few meat eaters that give me a hard time about being vegetarian. I don't understand the point of that. I don't give people a hard time for eating meat, so why do they feel it's necessary? Must be a defense mechanisim, maybe they feel inferior? I stopped talking to the few people that did treat me like that - It's MY choice and if they can't respect it, then they're no friend of mine. All of my other friends are really supportive and most of the time don't even bring it up!
Is Quorn allowed in the US now? I read somewhere that it was banned.

People pick on Vegetarians because thay are allowed to, that's how I see it, when I was at School, even the Teachers picked on me, tried to make me look foolish for being Vegetarian, publicly!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Quorn is definitely allowed in the US - I eat it all the time!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Quorn is definitely allowed in the US - I eat it all the time!
That's good, it seems things have changed.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Changed? No, I don't recall a time when it had ever been banned. It hasn't always been popular, and it hasn't always been offered in "mundane" supermarkets. But that was more a matter of supply/demand. There weren't enough people asking for it to warrant shelf space. It's picked up in popularity to now even mainstream supermarkets carry it.

As for the "meat analogue" comment, thanks Sheena for "getting it." Clearly some people take themselves WAY too seriously to appreciate humor. And yes, I'm an omnivore. I -was- vegetarian, but as I posted in another thread, I realized I just plain liked meat too much to remain one. I did try tofu and "faux meat" products, and they didn't taste anything like meat to me, and I realized I'd rather just eat things that aren't trying to taste like meat at all, than eat things that were trying to taste like meat. Or better - just go ahead and eat meat.

But then, I wasn't an ethical vegetarian. I never had any problem with the idea of slaughtering animals for food. I appreciate that it bothers some people though. As long as they're not prostheletizing as if they truly believed that omnivores are evil...or as long as they don't try protesting in front of the meat department when I'm trying to pick up my monthly supply of ground chuck, they're free to enjoy whatever foods they enjoy. And so am I.

And they are free to have their opinions of meateaters. And I'm free to have my opinion of the idea of consuming meat analogues, and especially the *term itself* which, as I said, is rather Orwellian.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:57 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As for the "meat analogue" comment, thanks Sheena for "getting it." Clearly some people take themselves WAY too seriously to appreciate humor.
Ohhhhhh -- you were trying to make a funny!

Quote:
And I'm free to have my opinion of the idea of consuming meat analogues, and especially the *term itself* which, as I said, is rather Orwellian.

Yes, you're welcome to your opinion; however, given that this is the Vegetarian & Vegan Food forum, it's disrespectful to other members to label food they may eat as "weird" just because YOU don't like it. That's the kind of comment that goes over well in the regular Food forum, where members take great pleasure in poking fun at the non-meat eaters.

But I guess not everyone gets that, eh?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Yes, you're welcome to your opinion; however, given that this is the Vegetarian & Vegan Food forum, it's disrespectful to other members to label food they may eat as "weird" just because YOU don't like it. That's the kind of comment that goes over well in the regular Food forum, where members take great pleasure in poking fun at the non-meat eaters.

But I guess not everyone gets that, eh?
This.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Changed? No, I don't recall a time when it had ever been banned. It hasn't always been popular, and it hasn't always been offered in "mundane" supermarkets. But that was more a matter of supply/demand. There weren't enough people asking for it to warrant shelf space. It's picked up in popularity to now even mainstream supermarkets carry it.
Sorry, I may have been misinformed, I can't find the particular article, but I think this relates to it.

Check Up: Mock meat Quorn getting bumpy U.S. ride - Philly.com

Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
'salright .....

I'm firmly of the belief that whatever people use to help maintain a vegetarian diet is a *good* thing, and I really don't understand the hate.

I firmly agree. It is sill and unproductive to argue about being a "pure natural foods health food vegetarian" or vegetarian who does so for the sole purpose of not participating in any activity that would cause harm, cruelty, mutilation, suffering, or death to animals.

I fall squarely into that second categorize.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post

People pick on Vegetarians because thay are allowed to, that's how I see it, when I was at School, even the Teachers picked on me, tried to make me look foolish for being Vegetarian, publicly!

I don't support ANYONE being picked on for anything. However, today the tables are being turned. I have two teenagers, and many of their friends are vegetarian, or want to be. At their high school, veggie burgers are served and there is a salad bar available.

My eldest is in the process of applying to colleges right now, and EVERY COLLEGE OFFERS VEGETARIAN and VEGAN options at every meal! So this is the next generation, folks!

I hope to live to see the time when a turkey trussed on a holiday table or a piece of pig studded with cloves and pineapple will be weird and disgusting to most people. It already is to my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food