Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM

304 posts, read 617,550 times

Advertisements

I fell off the vegetable wagon tonight and caved and ate a piece of salmon

I guess I am not doing it properly because I have been hungry since starting. I am eating lots of beans and diary (have not gone vegan yet), salads, nuts...

I have to limit my tofu products because as a breast cancer survivor, I am not really supposed to be eating soy (it's a phyto-estrogen thing).

Anyways, were any of you unsuccessful your first time trying? I will go back on the vegetable cart now. Kind of down about tonight, eating the fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 01:02 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,881 times
A book that I recommend to everyone trying to become vegetarian or vegan is Therapeutic Chef | San Francisco, CA
It's not only full of excellent recipes, it's packed with information to help you transition to a plant-based diet. It covers everything - drinks, snacks, sauces, soups, entrees, desserts....

Don't be hard on yourself. Just focus on what you feel good about and don't beat yourself up if you slip once in a while. Every little step is a step in the right direction. Becoming a vegetarian can be a big change, as it impacts more than just what you have for dinner. Depending on your social circle and family, you may encounter a lack of support and a lot of misunderstanding.

I became a vegetarian when I was an idealistic 8-year-old and my family moved next door to a farm. It's was a small, family dairy/egg farm and they did respect and care for the animals, but after spending time with those animals and seeing their personalities I decided then and there that I was never going to eat meat, fish or eggs and never wear any animal product again and I never did. I think being a kid made it so much easier. I'm lucky to have open-minded parents who went right along with my decision. When I decided to become vegan, the only thing I had to cut was cream in my coffee and Swiss cheese on my sandwich, so that was easy.

Don't worry about limiting soy. I've been a vegetarian for most of my life, vegan for the last 6 or so, and I've never bought (and my mom never bought) any of the soy "meats" or "cheeses" or TVP, etc. Most of those are not made with whole soybeans, are usually made with GMO soybeans,and are heavily processed with potentially toxic chemicals, anyway. I do use organic tofu, tempeh and miso on occasion, but if I had to eliminate them from my diet tomorrow, I'd still eat filling and delicious food for every meal.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:58 AM

TDNA, I have not tried tempeh yet, but will buy some the next time I go to the store. I hear seitan is very high protein, but I am not sure how it is prepared.

You are sure right about the support issue - my family laughed at me. But I don't care what they think - I can do this! But I must admit, at 47, it's not an easy life style change.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
I find incorporating whole grains into the diet to be very filling:

millet, brown rice, bulgar, barley, oats, cornmeal, quinoa, amaranth, etc.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
TDNA, I have not tried tempeh yet, but will buy some the next time I go to the store. I hear seitan is very high protein, but I am not sure how it is prepared.

You are sure right about the support issue - my family laughed at me. But I don't care what they think - I can do this! But I must admit, at 47, it's not an easy life style change.

I was 39 when I became vegetarian. My only regret is that I didn't do it years sooner.

I am very happy that my children have made the choice early in life.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
New info on soy and breast cancer.

Link

Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Nezlie, thanks for the link! I am going to share that on the breast cancer site - very interesting. Maybe I shouldn't be afraid to have a little soy. I especially veggie burgers and "faux" foods, when tired after I come home from work. I know they are not the best vegetarian choices, but they taste good, are quick to prepare and have protein. But I wouldn't eat them every night since they are processed.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Nezlie, thanks for the link! I am going to share that on the breast cancer site - very interesting. Maybe I shouldn't be afraid to have a little soy. I especially veggie burgers and "faux" foods, when tired after I come home from work. I know they are not the best vegetarian choices, but they taste good, are quick to prepare and have protein. But I wouldn't eat them every night since they are processed.
That's a good idea about sharing with the others. Who knows, someone may have something that's more recent which could be either pro or against soy. Also, if it's something your doctor told you to stay away from, I would discuss with him/her before making any changes.

Veggie burgers are not my favorite, but I can handle them once in awhile. I heat them on a small electric grill that I have.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 AM

Nezlie, it is interesting how the soy-eating women had lower levels, rather than the same levels as the othe women. Why would a phyto estrogen reduce estrogen levels? Anyways, I agree with you about discussing with my onc. I will do so at my next appointment.

And even if I he still says not to have soy, I know there are many other vegetarian things I can eat.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Nezlie, it is interesting how the soy-eating women had lower levels, rather than the same levels as the othe women. Why would a phyto estrogen reduce estrogen levels? Anyways, I agree with you about discussing with my onc. I will do so at my next appointment.

And even if I he still says not to have soy, I know there are many other vegetarian things I can eat.
That's for sure. And if you need any ideas for a dish or two, you can ask on here and there will always be replies. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food