Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 AM

261 posts, read 497,292 times

Advertisements

in many western cultures many courtships begin with breaking bread together. In CA gourmet picnics rarely go out of style and usually includes rustic bread, quality cheese, and wine. In the South, the quintessential picnic is fried chicken, potato salad, and sweet iced tea.

I have enjoyed both types many times, but now that I'm a vegetarian for some time now, and spring is here, I need some suggestions on what would make an elegant, easy, and scrumptious picnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 12:20 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Have to have some hummus! And variety of gourmet olives. Some olive oil to drizzle on a slice of bread. Avocado. Strawberries! Chocolate! Yum now I'm getting hungry so better quit LOL

Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Cherry tomatoes, red and yellow peppers cut into strips. For dessert you could serve several different kinds of berries together in a pretty bowl.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
A couple of cold salads are good as main dishes. I like to add nuts or seeds to my salads to make them more filling. My current favorites are broccoli slaw with cranberries and sunflower seeds, quinoa with pine nuts and golden raisins, and lentils with chopped walnuts and green onions.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Another thing you could take on a Vegetarian/Vegan picnic is a homemade 3 (or 4 or 5) bean salad or broccoli slaw with a citrus dressing. Additionally, a good Tapenade to have with some Crusty French Bread never goes amiss

Don't forget dessert! Making Vegan friendly cakes and cookies are simple, and there are plenty of vegan baking books out there

Have fun!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
No reason potato salad and other picnic favorites can't be made vegetarian or vegan. I have plenty of potato salad recopies both creamy and with vinaigrette dressings.

Tofu Salad sandwiches made with Veganase brand mayo are good too. Other ideas Tofurkey club sandwiches, vegan coleslaw, pickles, pasta salad.

No bake strawberry pie and lemonade or iced tea make for a sweet ending!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
More ideas! A retro vegan pick nick!

Vegan Meatloaf sandwiches with ketchup and mayo, dill pickles, potato salad, thinly sliced cucumber salad with red onions, carrot ring, pineapple squares, cherries and lemon aid.

Be sure to take a red and white check table cloth and some of those cool metallic cups! Thrift stores are full of those!

Wear a polka dot halter neck sundress (modcloth.com) and have your date wear madras and chinos.

I LOVE collecting Retro Recipes and I am currently working on a blog about that subject.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:15 AM

261 posts, read 497,292 times
to sheena, thank you for the retro visual! very cool.

Here was the picnic menu: I went by Raleys bakery to pick up a small round of perfect sourdough. Also brought a thing of hummus, and a container of fresh chopped tomatoes. We didn't get into the extras because the bread was soft and fresh and simple.

I prepared a linguini with chardonay sauce and roasted red bell peppers and put it into a quart container. I took the freshly grated parmesan and walnuts in different containers to easily add. Just before we ate, I poured in the walnuts and the parmesan cheese. We actually took turns and ate directly from the larger container which made it more intimate. We just tore off the bread as we went along.

We had little plastic cups to drink the chardonay in. They weren't anything fancy, but it was so much fun. We talked and watched the water and talked more. He brought a thermos of coffee and some ginger snaps, which we had after we played frisbee and took some silly photos.

I cannot think of a better way to end a fantastic picnic. I brought a bowl of broken dark chocolate, fresh cherries, and tossed in some more walnuts. But didn't get it out because I thought the cookies and coffee were perfect

Old 06-10-2012, 09:00 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
Black bean burgers or veggie dogs. Both can be made yourself. Salads, non gmo or organic corn chips with organic salsa. You could also make your own from tomato, onion, avocado, and spices. They have vegan marshmallows now and you could get non dairy dark chocolate with a high quality amaranth cracker for smores. I like portabella mushroom caps as a burger (marinate with salt/pepper/garlic in tin foil) with mustard & onions on homemade sourdough bread.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Tortillas chips, salsa made with corn and black beans. Chopped salad with cilantro, lime vinagrette, quesadillas made with roasted veggies, fresh fruit, and ice cold beer with lime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food