Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 PM

23,905 posts, read 32,221,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
tdna: What a wonderful, thorough and informative post!

DH and I usually have a Stir Fry of some description about twice a week. I try to change it up a bit (sometimes we have noodles with it, other times just plain rice) but it usually defaults to the same delicious thing ultimately Additionally, I always try to have a few frozen products on hand just in case I run out of fresh produce in between trips to the grocery store. So, therefore I would say the staples that I always have are:

-Rice

-Whole Wheat Pasta (that I also use as 'noodles' when not using them as 'spaghetti')

-Almonds (great by themselves, and fabulous in stir fry! I usually just put them in the pan for a few minutes until they're crunchy then stir them in at the end of the stir fry to add some texture! Pine Nuts are also great for this!)

-Soy Sauce, Teriyaki Sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce

-Garlic

-Onions (fresh and frozen)

-Firm Tofu (lots of it!)

-Baby Corn in cans

-Bean Sprouts in cans

-Water Chestnuts in cans

-Broccoli

-Zucchini

-Carrots

-Red Cabbage

-Salad Vegetables / Lettuce / Spinach (as a side dish on non stir fry nights or as lunch)

-Green Beans

-Asparagus (another side on non stir fry nights)

-Mushrooms

-Frozen Mixed Vegetables (to save me when I'm out of fresh! I always have about 4 bags of Frozen Veg on hand just in case!)

-Potatoes

-Whole Wheat Bread (I freeze it if we don't eat the whole loaf before it expires)

-Oatmeal

-Silk Soymilk

-Granola

-Non-Dairy Cheese (for DH's sandwiches for lunch)

-Tofurky Products (for DH's sandwiches)

-Apples

-Berries (fresh and frozen)

-Canola Oil and Olive Oil

-Vinegars (to make salad dressings)

-Vegetarian Baked Beans (I like to keep a few cans in the pantry, they're a great side dish!)

-Vegetable Broth

-Spices and Condiments... I have accumulated WAY too many spices and condiments! I think it's important though to have a full stocked Spice Rack (and 2 Spice Shelves in the Cupboard in my case!) to add some extra flavor to whatever you're cooking!

-Organic Pasta Sauce (Tomato, Garlic & Basil flavor)

I think that's about it for our 'staples'. Depending on what I'm planning to cook or bake for the week, will dictate whether anything is added to that list, but those are the things I ALWAYS have to have on hand
Great list! You can make about 20 different meals with that!

Very close to what I have. Vegetarian Baked Beans are always in my pantry!

If anyone lives near a Wegman's , the store brand Memphis Style; is awesome! The beans are a little smaller and the sauce hearty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,424,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm all for dispelling the myth that everything vegetarians eat has to involve a mortar and pestle, a pressure cooker, beans that take hours to cook and brewer's yeast.

It can involve any of those items. And it can be good when it does!

Veg*ns need to exchange some helpful hints - our week day fast menus, kitchen cupboard dinners.

Sometimes it's winter and our food must come from the pantry not the garden. Or sometimes we need foods that are fast.

There is also the myth that Vegetarian and Vegan food is "expensive." It can be, but so is steak every night.

My other criteria is that the meals be inexpensive and readily available.

This is a non issue for omnivores. When I was an omnivore I always had chicken breasts chopped meat, potatoes, rice and the side dish vegetable on hand.
I don't eat that way any more.

I love to cook intricate Gourmet meals - when I have the time. Week nights are generally not the time.
Also with the economy the way it is, it's a good time to think of thrifty staples and meal builders.
I agree that it's a myth that vegan/vegetarian food has to be complicated, time consuming to prepare, and expensive. It's unfortunate that many vegetarians propagate that myth. It's also a myth that easy-to-make, budget-friendly food requires using prepackaged or processed foods. I think anyone wanting to become vegetarian or struggling with a change to a vegetarian diet should know all their options. If they like packaged food, that's fine. No problem. But, if someone doesn't want to eat those things (and many people don't) they should know that it is very easy to make quick, delicious, inexpensive meals from whole, unprocessed foods. It also rarely requires any specialized equipment. Gadgets are fun, but you don't need much more than a good knife, a heavy pot and a food processor.

For example, Tuesday night I made black rice with vegetables and Thai red curry sauce and an apple and avocado salad with mango chutney dressing. It was a hectic work day, so I didn't have a chance to start preparing dinner until just after 8:00. Dinner was on the table by 8:45 and that included dessert, because I baked cookies from scratch while the rice was cooking. I didn't have to go out and buy any special ingredients. Everything was in the pantry. Because I buy grains, spices, etc. from the bulk bins and grind my own flour (with a very inexpensive hand mill, so I get a workout at the same time), it was a cheap meal. It was also filling, delicious and very nutritionally dense. I had leftovers for lunch yesterday.

Last night was lemon pepper pasta with asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes and freshly baked garlic biscuits. It took less than half an hour to make and cost about $0.64 per serving.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:56 PM

994 posts, read 1,588,577 times
Typically I have the Morningstar Nuggets with some French fries.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,739,479 times
Always have on hand:

Pasta and rice... and freeze both
Jarred pasta sauce/veg broth
Canned beans-many kinds including refried veg beans
Onions, carrots, cucumbers/tomatoes off the vines, fresh herbs in pots
Cheeses
Frozen: peas, corn, broccoli, spinach, breads/burritos---buttermilk, OJ,
milk-anything NOT fat-free
Mutiple sauces: hot, chili-garlic, soy, teriyaki, oo, salsa

I can mix and match as I do not plan meals ahead....bean burritos, any veggies over pasta or rice, veg quiche, veg salads.

Oh and I save single servings of home-made meals that freeze well...veg lasagna, spanakopita, rice pilaf, soups. I freeze almost everything but eggs.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I agree that it's a myth that vegan/vegetarian food has to be complicated, time consuming to prepare, and expensive. It's unfortunate that many vegetarians propagate that myth. It's also a myth that easy-to-make, budget-friendly food requires using prepackaged or processed foods. I think anyone wanting to become vegetarian or struggling with a change to a vegetarian diet should know all their options. If they like packaged food, that's fine. No problem. But, if someone doesn't want to eat those things (and many people don't) they should know that it is very easy to make quick, delicious, inexpensive meals from whole, unprocessed foods. It also rarely requires any specialized equipment. Gadgets are fun, but you don't need much more than a good knife, a heavy pot and a food processor.

For example, Tuesday night I made black rice with vegetables and Thai red curry sauce and an apple and avocado salad with mango chutney dressing. It was a hectic work day, so I didn't have a chance to start preparing dinner until just after 8:00. Dinner was on the table by 8:45 and that included dessert, because I baked cookies from scratch while the rice was cooking. I didn't have to go out and buy any special ingredients. Everything was in the pantry. Because I buy grains, spices, etc. from the bulk bins and grind my own flour (with a very inexpensive hand mill, so I get a workout at the same time), it was a cheap meal. It was also filling, delicious and very nutritionally dense. I had leftovers for lunch yesterday.

Last night was lemon pepper pasta with asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes and freshly baked garlic biscuits. It took less than half an hour to make and cost about $0.64 per serving.
I don't own a hand mill. Other than the last meal, most of these foods are unusual. Black rice?
Never heard of it.

Baking your own cookies on a week night? We have fruit.

This really illustrates my point. I DON'T but things in bulk. Or grains or spices aor anything.

You have illustrated my point.

Not everyone wants to do this. Ever. It's fine that you do, but this is not the topic.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,246,819 times
I buy Madras lentils in a pouch at Costco. I had that tonight over rice. Very tasty.

I have mushrooms, vegetarian soup (Amy's), veggie chili, rice, onions, green peppers, eggs and cheese. I am not vegan.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't own a hand mill. Other than the last meal, most of these foods are unusual. Black rice?
Never heard of it. It's available in any natural food store and in most grocery stores these days.

Baking your own cookies on a week night? We have fruit. I have fruit, too. I wanted cookies.

This really illustrates my point. I DON'T but things in bulk. Or grains or spices aor anything. Maybe you should. It saves money and resources as there is minimal packaging.

You have illustrated my point. ?

Not everyone wants to do this. Ever. It's fine that you do, but this is not the topic.
Well then, I guess I don't get your point. My point is that it is very easy and inexpensive to cook from scratch and it's not necessary to eat boring, processed food. None of these foods I mentioned are unusual at all.

I thought the topic was suggestions and tips that could be helpful for new vegetarians. I understand that some people don't want to make their own food and are perfectly happy eating...whatever. But, why do you seem to be so opposed to even the suggestion of eating this way? Apparently, you only want to hear from the people who eat just like you do.

Last edited by tdna; 06-14-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,587,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I buy Madras lentils in a pouch at Costco. I had that tonight over rice. Very tasty.

I have mushrooms, vegetarian soup (Amy's), veggie chili, rice, onions, green peppers, eggs and cheese. I am not vegan.
(I am not a Trader Joe's shill, I swear ... I just have one close to me and I shop there every week.)

I get Trader Joe's steamed lentils, $3 for a pound. I've tried making lentil-based dishes with lentils I make myself, but I just cannot get the tenderness right. They always taste undercooked, too al dente if you know what I mean, even when I cook them for twice as long as the recipe calls for. So I buy them steamed and can make several quick dishes from them.

Lentil salad: Dried cranberries, sliced green onions, and a handful of chopped walnuts. Drizzle with red wine vinaigrette and mix well. Excellent for lunch or a quick meal ... I mix with spinach or lamb's lettuce.

Tacos: Season with cumin, oregano, and chili powder. I have a great salt-free mix mix from Penzey's that I use sometimes, and occasionally I'll use an enchilada-type sauce that I buy in a pouch (all good ingredients, nothing weird). Heat in a skillet and warm tortillas in the microwave. Make tacos or burritos with cheese, lettuce, and anything else you feel like. If you have leftover taco lentils, they are good in quesadillas too.

Lentil soup: Use low-salt vegetable broth, a can of crushed or petite diced tomatoes, a bag of frozen vegetables, and herbs to your liking (marjoram, basil, etc.). There's a store around here called Meijer that sells a soup mix that I like above any other frozen mix I find; it includes diced potatoes and celery as well as the standard peas, carrots, and corn. Adding some freshly chopped spinach, garlic, or onions is good too. Of course soup is better when you chop everything fresh and make if all from scratch, but this thread is about quick, easy, and healthy meals.

I also like to mix leftover roasted or sauteed vegetables with lentils for lunch.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Another way to use leftover lentils is to toss them in porridge. They give an already hearty breakfast some added fiber, protein and minerals.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
(I am not a Trader Joe's shill, I swear ... I just have one close to me and I shop there every week.)

I get Trader Joe's steamed lentils, $3 for a pound. I've tried making lentil-based dishes with lentils I make myself, but I just cannot get the tenderness right. They always taste undercooked, too al dente if you know what I mean, even when I cook them for twice as long as the recipe calls for. So I buy them steamed and can make several quick dishes from them.

Lentil salad: Dried cranberries, sliced green onions, and a handful of chopped walnuts. Drizzle with red wine vinaigrette and mix well. Excellent for lunch or a quick meal ... I mix with spinach or lamb's lettuce.

Tacos: Season with cumin, oregano, and chili powder. I have a great salt-free mix mix from Penzey's that I use sometimes, and occasionally I'll use an enchilada-type sauce that I buy in a pouch (all good ingredients, nothing weird). Heat in a skillet and warm tortillas in the microwave. Make tacos or burritos with cheese, lettuce, and anything else you feel like. If you have leftover taco lentils, they are good in quesadillas too.

Lentil soup: Use low-salt vegetable broth, a can of crushed or petite diced tomatoes, a bag of frozen vegetables, and herbs to your liking (marjoram, basil, etc.). There's a store around here called Meijer that sells a soup mix that I like above any other frozen mix I find; it includes diced potatoes and celery as well as the standard peas, carrots, and corn. Adding some freshly chopped spinach, garlic, or onions is good too. Of course soup is better when you chop everything fresh and make if all from scratch, but this thread is about quick, easy, and healthy meals.

I also like to mix leftover roasted or sauteed vegetables with lentils for lunch.
J.J., those all sound so good and easy! Never tried lentils in tacos but I will tonight. I am working until 7.30 PM and my daughter can start the lentils before I get home from painting flats.

The salad with the cranberries also sounds awesome and I will try that soon!

Get back to you on both Julia! Rep to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food