Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,752 times

Advertisements

Here's a quick & kid-friendly (or, at least the kids I know like them) pizza pocket:

Use sprouted grain (or your prefered type) tortillas for the "crust".

Place fresh spinach in the center of each tortilla. Add some chopped sweet onion, some chopped fresh basil and oregano, a few mushroom slices and about 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce. Top this with grated mochi and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. Finish with another spoonful of sauce. Fold the tortillas envelope style and wrap individually in parchment paper. Bake at 450 F for about 15 minutes. Let them cool for several minutes, as the mochi will be very hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 06:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Julia...there are different types of lentils...I only like the brown ones for soup and tacos. I usually buy red lentils...they cook up softer. Also...don't add salt to the cooking water. Cook's Thesaurus: Lentils

Old 06-15-2012, 08:44 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post

Last night was lemon pepper pasta with asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes and freshly baked garlic biscuits. It took less than half an hour to make and cost about $0.64 per serving.
Ooh Lemon Pepper Pasta with Asparagus and Sun Dried Tomatoes sounds Delish! You'll have to share your recipe! That sounds like something I'd want to try... tomorrow!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Typically I have the Morningstar Nuggets with some French fries.
Morningstar Nuggets are definitely a guilty pleasure If I'm super short on time and inspiration, I'll cook pasta, heat up the pasta sauce, put either Morningstar Nuggets or the Chik'n patties in the oven... and then serve dishes of Pasta, topped with the nuggets, smothered in the pasta sauce, and then sprinkled with some non-dairy Cheese. It's almost like an obscure version of Chicken Parmesan... very yummy!

It's actually one of my husband's favorite meat-free dishes (he's not a vegetarian, but thankfully accepts whatever I put in front of him without complaint- he's accepting of my vegetarianism although will eat meat if we go out to a non-vegetarian restaurant). That was way OTT

Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Ooh Lemon Pepper Pasta with Asparagus and Sun Dried Tomatoes sounds Delish! You'll have to share your recipe! That sounds like something I'd want to try... tomorrow!

1 lb whole grain spaghetti
approx. 1 1/2 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 1 1/2"-ish pieces
approx. 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, rough chopped (I keep a big jar of tomatoes in olive oil in the fridge to save time by not having to rehydrate them)
2 Tbs olive oil
3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

While the pasta cooks, cut the asparagus and tomatoes. Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, basil and pepper. Throw the asparagus in with the pasta for the last two minutes of cook time. Drain. Gently toss everything together and enjoy. I sprinkled a little more black pepper and some nutritional yeast on top.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:20 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,390 times
That chicken nugget thing? It really sounds good!

Old 06-16-2012, 05:24 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Morningstar Nuggets are definitely a guilty pleasure If I'm super short on time and inspiration, I'll cook pasta, heat up the pasta sauce, put either Morningstar Nuggets or the Chik'n patties in the oven... and then serve dishes of Pasta, topped with the nuggets, smothered in the pasta sauce, and then sprinkled with some non-dairy Cheese. It's almost like an obscure version of Chicken Parmesan... very yummy!

It's actually one of my husband's favorite meat-free dishes (he's not a vegetarian, but thankfully accepts whatever I put in front of him without complaint- he's accepting of my vegetarianism although will eat meat if we go out to a non-vegetarian restaurant). That was way OTT

Wouldn't feel guilty about eating this at all. The feeling would be more like excitement.
No chickens were scalded to death in this recipe. No guilt.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:25 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
J.J., those all sound so good and easy! Never tried lentils in tacos but I will tonight. I am working until 7.30 PM and my daughter can start the lentils before I get home from painting flats.

The salad with the cranberries also sounds awesome and I will try that soon!

Get back to you on both Julia! Rep to you!
OK the lentil tacos - a hit! We are a lentil, cumin and taco loving family so I had high hopes. My daughter had a friend who slept over and she LOVED them!

Will give more updates. I'm excited about the salad.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Wouldn't feel guilty about eating this at all. The feeling would be more like excitement.
No chickens were scalded to death in this recipe. No guilt.
Very true I just try to minimize the amount of processed foods my Husband and I eat... you're right though, from an ethical standpoint they're fantastic. According to the package, they're also less fat than 'real' chicken nuggets (which I wouldn't consider in 1 million years anyhow! Poor Chickens!).

Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I find taking time to prep veggies is worth the hour or so when you come home from the store. When I had teens in my home, I always bought a large bag of baking potatoes, excellent stuffed with veggie chili.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food