Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

My nephew is 11 months old and he has started to eat solid foods as of 2 weeks ago. He was eating puree food that his mother makes herself, fruits, veggies, baby cereal. He recently started eating veggie burgers, and veggie sausage patties. My SIL is not a true vegetarian meaning she goes vegeterian & gluten free 3 times a year for a couple months then goes back to eating red meat and chicken and foods that have gluten in them. I don't understand that.Anyway they eat organic which I am all for. I was wondering if the baby should be getting chicken, Turkey, pork and red meats into his diet. Chicken can be easily chewed but pork and red meat are a bit harder to chew. He has 8 teeth so far.Is it ok to have an 11 month old eat vegan???? He eats fruits, veggies, potatoes, gluten free waffles too. They are new parents and I just want to make sure he gets the proper nutrition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Baby doesn't need grown up food until he's one. Till then, breast milk is his best option.
Everything else is supplemental and for taste/growing into regular food.

"Food for fun till he's one."

Babies the world over have survived and thrived without ever eating meat their entire lives.

I don't think vegan is a healthy diet for ANYONE. But veggie is fine.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
My concern for him would be all that sodium in the veggie sausage patties and vegetarian burgers. Unless mom is making those from scratch, they're LOADED with sodium and seasonings that 11-month-olds just really shouldn't be eating. On the other hand, if mom is making them from scratch and keeping seasonings and salt to an absolute minimum, he should be just fine enjoying those foods in moderation. Babies that young don't really need to rely solely on solids yet. Supplementing breast milk with baby foods, even non-meat baby foods, isn't going to cause problems other than potential obesity if mom overfeeds.

Regardless, if she -is- breastfeeding, then her child isn't vegan anyway. Dairy is not vegan. And breastmilk is dairy.

Edited: I bolded the part where I got to the point, which is in the very first sentence. My concern still stands - it isn't the fact that the kid is eating vegetarian, it's the fact that mom is feeding him a whole lot of sodium. That concerns me.

Last edited by AnonChick; 06-17-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Vegan or vegetarian is fine for babies. People who are meatless for religious reasons certainly don't feed their babies meat.

If she is concerned about the baby's diet she could discuss this with the pediatrician.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My concern for him would be all that sodium in the veggie sausage patties and vegetarian burgers. Unless mom is making those from scratch, they're LOADED with sodium and seasonings that 11-month-olds just really shouldn't be eating. On the other hand, if mom is making thm from scratch and keeping seasonings and salt to an absolute minimum, he should be just fine enjoying those foods in moderation. Babies that young don't really need to rely solely on solids yet. Supplementing breast milk with baby foods, even non-meat baby foods, isn't going to cause problems other than potential obesity if mom overfeeds.

Regardless, if she -is- breastfeeding, then her child isn't vegan anyway. Dairy is not vegan. And breastmilk is dairy.
Actually, breast milk isn't contradictory to a vegan diet. It is not an animal product.

Vegan moms often nurse their babies for a full year.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:

Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
I think any sort of extreme diet is a worry.

Veganism is definitely extreme and should really only be a personal choice...your baby is not old enough to choose.

I don't even like vegetarianism (my daughter is one) - most people don't realise that there are certain cancers that are more prevalent in vegetarians. Linda McCartney anyone?

I'd really like to see more study done, but in the meantime, don't inflict your extremism on a growing baby!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
My concern for him would be all that sodium in the veggie sausage patties and vegetarian burgers. Unless mom is making those from scratch, they're LOADED with sodium and seasonings that 11-month-olds just really shouldn't be eating. On the other hand, if mom is making them from scratch and keeping seasonings and salt to an absolute minimum, he should be just fine enjoying those foods in moderation. Babies that young don't really need to rely solely on solids yet. Supplementing breast milk with baby foods, even non-meat baby foods, isn't going to cause problems other than potential obesity if mom overfeeds.

Breast milk is not dairy. It is the food that human young are supposed to have.

Nursing is the NORM for most veg*n children and mothers.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Breast milk is not dairy. It is the food that human young are supposed to have.

Nursing is the NORM for most veg*n children and mothers.

All milk is dairy.

A cow's milk is designed for baby cows originally too...not us!

Any milk from any animal is dairy, which is why most baby animals can be nursed effectively by other breeds. Just because we walk around on two legs, doesn't make our milk "non-dairy"!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I think any sort of extreme diet is a worry.

Veganism is definitely extreme and should really only be a personal choice...your baby is not old enough to choose.
Parents make all kinds of choices regarding their childrens' diets. A vegan diet, especially in consultation with a pediatrician, can be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I don't even like vegetarianism (my daughter is one) - most people don't realise that there are certain cancers that are more prevalent in vegetarians. Linda McCartney anyone?
I'd wager that far more cancers are connected to a meat-based diet than a vegetable-based one. Again, though, consult with a pediatrician and make a decision from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food