Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
This is exactly how I feel! And if an omnivore was given a choice between my wife's stuffed cabbage or lasagna, and a bowl of barley, a pile of greens and some mashed tofu I think i know what they'd try and like.

There is nothing wrong with those foods I listed - the tofu, greens and grains. But they take some getting used to, for most people.
Why do you thing eating whole foods means eating boring, tasteless food? I would never serve a bowl of barley, a pile of greens and mashed tofu (not even organic sprouted tofu). I have omnivores over for dinner often and, believe me, they would choose the food we eat here over fake meat or lasagna made with slimy fake cheese* every time. They would be disappointed and insulted if I tried to serve them that because they've come to know vegan food as being interesting, delicious and nutritious.

Fake meats and cheeses allow people to eat a vegetarian/vegan version of the typical American diet. I understand that some people don't want to experiment with food and like to stick to more diner-style meals that feel familiar. I'm not criticizing anyone who prefers that and I have no bias against the people, themselves. But, I think (my opinion and nothing more) that's a very boring and tasteless diet, never mind the nutritional side of it.

*only my opinion, again. I tried a pizza with Daiya and couldn't eat it because it reminded me too much of mucus.

Last edited by tdna; 06-26-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Why do you thing eating whole foods means eating boring, tasteless food? I would never serve a bowl of barley, a pile of greens and mashed tofu (not even organic sprouted tofu). I have omnivores over for dinner often and, believe me, they would choose the food we eat here over fake meat or lasagna made with slimy fake cheese* every time. They would be disappointed and insulted if I tried to serve them that because they've come to know vegan food as being interesting, delicious and nutritious.

Fake meats and cheeses allow people to eat a vegetarian/vegan version of the typical American diet. I understand that some people don't want to experiment with food and like to stick to more diner-style meals that feel familiar. I'm not criticizing anyone who prefers that and I have no bias against the people, themselves. But, I think (my opinion and nothing more) that's a very boring and tasteless diet, never mind the nutritional side of it.

*only my opinion, again. I tried a pizza with Daiya and couldn't eat it because it reminded me too much of mucus.
You made your opinion very clear and many people on this "vegetarian/vegan forum" don't need to hear it over and over. By repeating your opinion it is not going to change the way us vegetarian and vegans eat.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,752 times
Quote:
You made your opinion very clear and many people on this "vegetarian/vegan forum" don't need to hear it over and over. By repeating your opinion it is not going to change the way us vegetarian and vegans eat.
What do you mean, "us vegetarians and vegans"? I've been one for 30 years. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I am allowed to have my opinion, whether you agree with it or not. You asked why there is a bias against fake meat. I'm a vegan who doesn't eat fake meat, and I responded to a comment you made. Many vegans and vegetarians do not eat fake meat, many do. Both groups are allowed to have their say on this forum, as far as I know. If you ask a question, you can't expect only answers that you agree with.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
Quote:
Why is everyone suddenly so biased against eating fake meat? Fake meat made me a vegetarian. It's not at the center of my diet, but I'm tired of hearing about it being processed and having high sodium.

"Fake" hot dogs are "real" to me. Real ones are disgusting.
Warren -- here's the question you asked. I moved it to its own thread so that it be easier to find (it started out buried in another thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
What do you mean, "us vegetarians and vegans"? I've been one for 30 years. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I am allowed to have my opinion, whether you agree with it or not. You asked why there is a bias against fake meat. I'm a vegan who doesn't eat fake meat, and I responded to a comment you made. Many vegans and vegetarians do not eat fake meat, many do. Both groups are allowed to have their say on this forum, as far as I know. If you ask a question, you can't expect only answers that you agree with.

This is absolutely true, and I'm truly saddened by some of the comments posted in this forum recently.

It's bad enough when non-vegetarians pop in to criticize our dietary choices. Why are we doing that to ourselves? As I see it, we're all on the same "team" here, and our goal should be to support each other, NOT rip each other apart because of minor differences. After all, as the Terms of Service say, "We are here to help each other."

Soooooo ..... you know that compassion you show towards animals? How's about extending it to your fellow Veg*n forum members, too?

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
Well although this contribution might be seen as offside, I must add that "fake meats" are not merely a product of the modern, industrial age or a new thing for vegetarians but have a history going back quite far.

They say mock meats were attested in China two millenia ago or so when the Buddhist religion/philosophy, which included vegetarianism in its ideals, reached there from India. The mock meats were invented by the Chinese as a response to get some of those used to meat-eating an option/substitute to give up meat.

The fact that mock meats are popular often means that many people are adopting vegetarianism, who did grow up eating meat. A culture or society where vegetarianism is more mainstream often has already a fair number of vegetarian dishes available without having to market themselves as fake meat, although that option still exists obviously for those who prefer it.

This would be true when people, or a culture, is encountering vegetarianism for the first time or when new vegetarians are learning how to cook vegetarian cuisine.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Well although this contribution might be seen as offside, I must add that "fake meats" are not merely a product of the modern, industrial age or a new thing for vegetarians but have a history going back quite far.

They say mock meats were attested in China two millenia ago or so when the Buddhist religion/philosophy, which included vegetarianism in its ideals, reached there from India. The mock meats were invented by the Chinese as a response to get some of those used to meat-eating an option/substitute to give up meat.

The fact that mock meats are popular often means that many people are adopting vegetarianism, who did grow up eating meat. A culture or society where vegetarianism is more mainstream often has already a fair number of vegetarian dishes available without having to market themselves as fake meat, although that option still exists obviously for those who prefer it.

This would be true when people, or a culture, is encountering vegetarianism for the first time or when new vegetarians are learning how to cook vegetarian cuisine.
First, this is an informative post! Meat analogues are available in NY City's China Town and have been since I was a child. That was not quite two million ears ago.

Vegetarian Duck is often used in Thia restaurants and I've found it delicious.

I'm not from a culture where vegetarian food is poplar. Not Buddhist or descended from an ethnic or religious group that abstains from meat.

I do enjoy preparing foods that I enjoyed on holidays and cooking these recipes for my family.
Ethnic food is great - tonight we had felafel and tabbouleh salad for dinner and earlier this week we had lasagna.

These were not foods that I grew up with, though.

Sometimes I just want some vintage comfort food and meat analogues help me to prepare these foods for my family in a cruelty free and healthier way.

To some folks, it might not be perfect, or the way that the eat, however I feel sure that our diet is a healthy one.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I think that the real issue, is that the vegetarian world is very diverse, some are "purists", and going for more real, and raw food, without chemicals, less production, and processed food.

Then, there are vegetarians who do not like meat, for dietary, or religious reasons, and find "fake" meat to be offensive.

Some like it, some don't....but along the continuum, there is a place for this alternative, for those who want this type of food.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
I have nothing against foods that are eaten as an alternative to meat. But foods that pretend to -be- meat, and are marketed as fake meat, well that's like having a non-alcoholic beer and pretending it's really beer, and not some watered down barley-flavored soda.

I also have something against the marketing of some of the processed analogues, because they market themselves as "healthy alternatives" to meat, when they're not healthy anything.

I'm not a big turkey lover. But when I do eat turkey, I like it plain, with no gravy. As such, when someone gave me tofurkey once, I nearly threw up. When it's not overly seasoned and drowning in non-meat gelatinous artificially-flavored sauce, plain tofurkey tastes like...bean curd. And doesn't have the consistency of turkey at all. It has the consistency of those horrible (real dairy) mozzarella snack sticks, which are not vegan, and which I won't eat either. I'm an equal-opportunity texture-phobe.

I like my mushrooms to look and taste like mushrooms, and not try to look or taste like something else. Mushrooms are awesome, when they are mushrooms. When they're dried and powdered and rehydrated and added to a tube of sodium-enhanced protein powdered MSG-laden artificially-flavored "analogue" then I want no part of it. For me, it's a combination of taste and texture. This was true when I was a vegetarian, so it's not like it's only because I like meat. I liked meat when I was a vegetarian too. And obviously, a whole lot of vegans like meat, because they have become a HUGE profitable market for the analogue companies. If they didn't love meat so much, those companies would be out of business, trying to sell things that are marketed to taste and look and feel "just like the real thing".

So no, it's not just a meat-eater thing. It's definitely taste and texture, for me personally. I can't speak on behalf of anyone else.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
The fact that many vegans and vegetarians find themselves eating "fake meat" is largely due to our meat based culinary culture, not some affinity for the taste of meat products. That is, "fake meat" is attractive to American vegetarians and vegans because it provides a simple way to shift their diet away from animal products while eating the sorts of foods they are use to.

Though it may be socially uncomfortable for some, long-term its far better to shift your culinary habits to a culinary traditional that is more hospital to vegetarian/vegan diets. I imagine this is perhaps a bit easier in places like California, than in middle America though.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:05 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And obviously, a whole lot of vegans like meat, because they have become a HUGE profitable market for the analogue companies. If they didn't love meat so much, those companies would be out of business, trying to sell things that are marketed to taste and look and feel "just like the real thing".
Of course, I can only speak for myself -- but, IMHO, that's one of the most ridiculous statements I've read on this forum. "A whole lot of vegans like meat"?

If they, as you do, liked meat then they would, as you do, just eat meat and would -- obviously -- no longer be veg*ns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The fact that many vegans and vegetarians find themselves eating "fake meat" is largely due to our meat based culinary culture, not some affinity for the taste of meat products. That is, "fake meat" is attractive to American vegetarians and vegans because it provides a simple way to shift their diet away from animal products while eating the sorts of foods they are use to.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food