Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:10 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times

Advertisements

Loma Linda Little Links are super. They are like Vienna sausages without killing an animal that would rather be alive. A new product "Beyond Meat" is so much like chicken that the creator is being bombarded to distribute it more widely. I gave a meat eater a Gardein burger, and he swore that it HAD to be real beef. Nope. All vegetable based, and vegan. I like the meat alternatives. I'm a vegan, and I know they are plant based. I'm by no means pretending to eat meat. SOL patties are good, too. I do not miss meat, eggs or dairy. The VEGG is an egg replacer. Follow your heart cheese is good. I will pay higher for the better brands. Hemp milk, hazelnut, and flax, almond milks are good. Boca vegan burgers (boiled to be softer) are good cut up in a pasta dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:22 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
My favorite processed veggie product is the Morning Star black bean burgers, I find it much more flavorful than the ones that try to mimic meat flavors. I think the only veggie dogs I've tried are the Morning Star corn dogs, they tasted pretty much how I remember corn dogs tasting though the "meat" was a bit dry (I probably over cooked them though).

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-24-2012 at 04:28 AM..

Old 06-23-2012, 11:28 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
I really enjoy the mini corndogs made by Morningstar Farms. Not every day, of course, but they're a fun treat to have once in a while.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:59 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
I try to limit the amount of processed meat-alternatives DH and I eat... but admit that it's often nice to be able to incorporate them into a meal, especially since DH isn't a Vegetarian or Vegan. For him, they kind of 'fill the void since I very, very rarely serve him meat because I don't even like it in my refrigerator or house.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:45 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I really enjoy the mini corndogs made by Morningstar Farms. Not every day, of course, but they're a fun treat to have once in a while.
I agee. And corn dogs are obviously a treat food. It's when people think that fun foods - such as chicken Mc Nuggets - or chick nuggets are every day normal foods that there is a possible problem.

Much less so with the Vegetarian version.

I served chick nuggets and veg hot dogs at many a kids birthday party and no one even noticed.

Want to call me deceptive? Please don't. The deceptive label belongs on the meat industry when they label butcher shops "Cow heaven" and put cutsie pictures of the dead animal that they are trying to sell on their products.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Loma Linda Little Links are super. They are like Vienna sausages without killing an animal that would rather be alive. A new product "Beyond Meat" is so much like chicken that the creator is being bombarded to distribute it more widely. I gave a meat eater a Gardein burger, and he swore that it HAD to be real beef. Nope. All vegetable based, and vegan. I like the meat alternatives. I'm a vegan, and I know they are plant based. I'm by no means pretending to eat meat. SOL patties are good, too. I do not miss meat, eggs or dairy. The VEGG is an egg replacer. Follow your heart cheese is good. I will pay higher for the better brands. Hemp milk, hazelnut, and flax, almond milks are good. Boca vegan burgers (boiled to be softer) are good cut up in a pasta dish.
I love them! That's what I think people forget, These are plant based foods. Never triend "Beyond Meat"

What is VEGG and where do you get it? Is it an egg repacement for cooking eating or both? I've not had good luck with the egg replacer N RG for baking.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
I tried some morningstar buffalo wings and some veggie "Bologna".
It was actually kinda close to the real thing.
I would have to have some meat substitutes if i ever chose to go 100% vegetarian.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I tried some morningstar buffalo wings and some veggie "Bologna".
It was actually kinda close to the real thing.
I would have to have some meat substitutes if i ever chose to go 100% vegetarian.

^^^ Why I love meat analogues reason # 97. They are a great transition food and for a lot of folks, make the change to veg*nism easier. They make veg*n life easier too!

We are used to eating certain foods in certain way, For example sandwiches. I'm not sure how I would have raised two children, sent them to school, taken then to the beach and parks without "sandwich slices."

For some kids fitting in is more important than for others. My son, was always very "in your face" - sometimes embarrassingly so, about his diet. Proselytizing to kids at lunch in pre-school at age four. We honestly had to tell him to chill.

My daughter is more reserved and likes to fit in. These foods at lunch made her able to do that. It's not that she wanted to eat meat or has a desire to eat meat - she does not.
( before I get the "vegetarian kids are being abused" crowd up in arms) - she is now 16 and has very strong ethical feelings of her own and can obviously eat anything that she wants at this age,
However, she still doesn't like to talk about it.

I also don't know how many times I have made dinner for people, omnivores who have exclaimed "this is really good! I could eat like this all the time!" And some of them went on to do just that!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM

Almost forgot my favorite vegan meat substitute is relatively new to me and wildly versicle and tasty - Nate's Meatballs. They are available at Wegman's here in PA. Never had them in my former state.

They are fluffy and well, but mildly seasoned and are good in tomato sauce or mushroom gravy for Swedish meat balls. Sweet and Sour sauce makes them a great hors d'oeuvres.

I have also boiled them and mashed them along with lentils, for taco filling. They are so good!

I'm not a fan of "Gimme Lean" - it has a bad smell and it's so dense.

Has any one tried Nate's Meat Balls?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Has any one tried Nate's Meat Balls?

Yes! Nate's Zesty Italian Meatless Meatballs!!! I have three or four bags in my freezer (they're not available in my local store, so when I find them at a different store I stock up).

I like to toss them into spaghetti sauce, use them with noodles, and I imagine they'd be terrific in a "meatball sub", though I haven't tried that yet.

Morningstar Farms also makes veggie meatballs, but they're pretty gross, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food