Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times

Advertisements

It made of polenta, black beans, diced red peppers, onions, and jalapenos. It was served on a lightly grilled corn bun, topped with avocado puree and pico de gallo. Sliced grape tomatoes and a little flat leaf parsley too.

I have never had anything like it before! It was amazing.

Does anyone have a recipe for something like this?

Last edited by missik999; 07-13-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 04:46 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
LOL -- I thought you'd made it yourself and was going to ask you to post the recipe so we could all enjoy it!

Hopefully someone will have some suggestions .....

Old 07-15-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
LOL -- I thought you'd made it yourself and was going to ask you to post the recipe so we could all enjoy it!

Hopefully someone will have some suggestions .....
It was from a restaurant, and I have been asking everyone I know if they have ever seen a recipe.

If I find a recipe I will post it for sure.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
If you are a bit more specific, I might be able to recreate it. I do that a lot with good results.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If you are a bit more specific, I might be able to recreate it. I do that a lot with good results.

OK, here you go:

The "burger" was roundish in shape. It was made up of a polenta mixture that had
black beans, diced red peppers, diced onions and diced jalapenos inside. The "burger" was browned lightly. Maybe some type of spicy seasoning mixed in with the polenta? It was vegan so I know there was no egg in the mixture. The black beans were smashed slightly, not whole.

I am guessing that it was made by making a batter out of the polenta, stirring in the other diced ingredients and then dropping the mixture on a hot skillet or grill. Cooking until lightly browned.

The avocado puree was excellent too.

I plan to go back to that restaurant soon, and I will take a photo. I am not in the area often but should be there sometime this week.

I didn't even know what "polenta" was before I ordered it. I just heard everyone raving about it so I decided to order it.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
You know that I love a good puzzle, so I've been googling since you posted this. I turned up... NOTHING. It sounds delicious, so I'm as disappointed as you are.

You know what I've done before, when at a restaurant that is not one that I can get to often but love something in particular? I tell them, "I'm not opening a restaurant and going into competition with you, and I can't get here as often as I'd like to. But I absolutely LOVE this ___________ that I just had. Is there any way that the chef would share the recipe with me? I promise not to pass it around." (Lay it on thick if you have to. Be a charmer! )

One time, the waiter came out of the kitchen with the recipe, hand-written by the chef.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times
Never had polenta, but sure sounds tempting!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:00 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
Make vegan polenta and add it to black bean burgers then put in everything else you tasted. We make black bean burgers using wheat gluten & purple onions but it looks like the polenta may act as the "glue" in this case. You can find vegan black bean burger and polenta recipes using Google in 30 seconds. That is where I would start.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Make vegan polenta and add it to black bean burgers then put in everything else you tasted. We make black bean burgers using wheat gluten & purple onions but it looks like the polenta may act as the "glue" in this case. You can find vegan black bean burger and polenta recipes using Google in 30 seconds. That is where I would start.
That is an idea, but not quite what I am looking for. There was no black bean burger in it, just black beans. The "burger" was made out of the polenta batter with black beans and the diced peppers and onions mixed in.

I know I am not describing it well, but I plan to take a picture when I go back there again.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
You know that I love a good puzzle, so I've been googling since you posted this. I turned up... NOTHING. It sounds delicious, so I'm as disappointed as you are.

You know what I've done before, when at a restaurant that is not one that I can get to often but love something in particular? I tell them, "I'm not opening a restaurant and going into competition with you, and I can't get here as often as I'd like to. But I absolutely LOVE this ___________ that I just had. Is there any way that the chef would share the recipe with me? I promise not to pass it around." (Lay it on thick if you have to. Be a charmer! )

One time, the waiter came out of the kitchen with the recipe, hand-written by the chef.
I searched the internet too! I might try asking for the recipe if I can't figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food