Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times

Advertisements

When I went into the grocery store there was a display of beautiful, colorful squash, several different varieties, all on sale, cheap!

I bought several and would love to try some new recipes.

Anyone like to share their favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
I like them roasted and served plain. No muss, no fuss!

No matter what kind of winter squash, scoop out the seeds, clean them and roast them on a lightly oiled baking sheet, and lightly salted if you wish. Acorn squash give the best bang for the buck as far as seeds go, and they're not as goopy as pumpkin seeds. Ew.

I like to peel and thinly slice a butternut squash -- thin like potato chips -- and bake them until they're crisp on the edges.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
I too love seeing all the beautiful squashes...

Butternut Squash Soup
"A nice fall soup, best with toasted dark bread on the side. If you can find a Tahitian Butternut, it becomes and extra special treat! (Goes well with a strong white cheese if you're not vegan.)"
Ingredients
o 4 -5 cups butternut squash, cubed ( about 1 1/2 inch cubes)
o 1 medium carrots, chopped
o 1 medium yellow onions ( 1/2 chopped and 1/2 sliced)
o 2 stalks celery, chopped
o 2 garlic cloves, minced
o 1 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
o 2 teaspoons marjoram
o 1 teaspoon salt
o 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I used vegetable stock to saute)
o 2 bay leaves
o 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
o 2 water
o 1 cup water
o 1 cup coconut milk
o 1 small tart apples, peeled and cubed ( about 1/2 inch cubes)
o 1 yellow bell peppers, sliced
o cooking spray
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a baking sheet with oil; spread squash onto sheet and spray again to lightly cover surface of squash. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until tender.
2. Place carrot, celery, garlic, potato and the chopped half of the onion in a large pot with 2 cups water, herbs, and salt; stew over medium-low heat to create stock, about 30 minutes.
3. Remove squash from oven and stock from heat (remove bay leaves) and allow to cool while preparing Topping.
4. Topping: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apple, bell pepper, and sliced half of the onion and sauté for 5 minutes; reduce heat to low and allow to caramelize, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Page 2 of 2Butternut Squash Soup With Apple-Onion Topping (Vegan) (cont.)
Directions
5. Combine 1/2 of cooled squash with stock, including vegetables, in a blender or food processor until smooth; pour into a large bowl as a holding place. Now blend remaining squash with coconut milk until smooth. (If there is not enough liquid to blend smoothly, add more water.) Then pour both mixtures back into the large pot. Stir well and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
6. To serve, pour into bowls and top with a spoonful of Apple-Onion Topping.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Calories 237.5

I made this recipe this past weekend - really delicious. My favorte vegan restaurant in Louisville serves a butternut squash tomato soup - really good so when I found this recipe, I had to make it.

Jane's Butternut Tomato Soup (Vegan)
By Cooks4_6 on October 23, 2009
0 Reviews

• Prep Time: 15 mins
• Total Time: 45 mins
• Servings: 6
About This Recipe
"Prepared for our 2009 PRC Corporate Cook-off. Recipe courtesy of Jane Odom who says her kids devour this soup even though it is a vegan recipe!"
Ingredients
o 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
o 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
o 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
o 1 tablespoon olive oil
o 1 cup vegetable stock ( can sub water)
o 28 ounces diced tomatoes ( can sub 5-8 fresh tomato, plus 1/4 cup water)
o salt, to taste
o pepper, to taste
o 1 cup soymilk
o croutons ( optional garnish)
o 3 green onions ( optional garnish)
Directions
1. In large soup pot, saute the garlic, ginger, and squash in oil or vegetable stock or broth over medium heat until the garlic is softened. (I used no oil, just vegetable stock)
2. Add stock, tomatoes and salt and pepper.
3. Simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently for 15-20 minutes or until the squash can be pierced with a fork.
4. Blend 1/2 of the vegetable with the milk in a blender (or food processor or emulsion blender). Blend it all if you don't like lumps. (I blended mine - no lumps, although my favorite restaurant puts little (like 1 inch) pieces of browned tofu in their butternut squash soup which I love - I will try that next time).
5. Return soup to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Garnish with crouton and onions if you desire.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 169.1

Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I put butternut squash, onion, carrots, potatoes, apple, in the crockpot, added a touch of maple syrup, curry, cumin, cinnamon, some beer, and a half glass of white wine. Slow cooked for a few hours, added some vegan sausage...and it was delicious...a stew of seasonal veggies, fresh from the farmers market. Spicy and fragrant.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Be sure to bake up the seeds as you would with a pumpkin. Squeeze them out of the strings, spread in a single layer in a baking pan, sprinkle with salt and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, stirring once. That's the baking time for, say, acorns or Sweet Dumplings. If it's a really BIG squash with pumpkin-sized seeds, bake 25-30 minutes.

Or:

Bake seeded squash halves -- 2 med or 4 small acorns or Sweet Dumplings -- cut-side-down in 1/2" water for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Meanwhile, on the stovetop over low to med heat, stirring constantly:

3/4 C orange juice concentrate
1/2 C sugar
1/2 tsp each orange and lemon or lime zest
1/4 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, salt
4 Tbsps butter or oleo

When the timer goes off, drain the water out of the baking dish, upsend the squash and glaze with the mixture. Return to oven and bake about another half hour, until tender. Keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I put butternut squash, onion, carrots, potatoes, apple, in the crockpot, added a touch of maple syrup, curry, cumin, cinnamon, some beer, and a half glass of white wine. Slow cooked for a few hours, added some vegan sausage...and it was delicious...a stew of seasonal veggies, fresh from the farmers market. Spicy and fragrant.
Now that sounds very good! I think I will make this on Halloween.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
SQUASH CASSEROLE

"The easiest, most fool-proof recipe ever." -- Alice

2 large Acorn Squash (pumpkin or any other squash)
Bake until soft
Scoop out the inside
1/3 cup Butter (or less)
1/2 cup Sugar (if used as a vegetable)
3/4 cup Sugar if used as a dessert
1/2 cup Flour
2 eggs, beaten (not pulverized, not separated)
pinch baking soda
pinch salt
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla

Greased Pan
Sprinkle top with cinnamon
375 for 30 minutes to 1 hour
more like 45 minutes

_________
For all recipes, if you can, pick up an extra pumpkin and cook your stew inside of it.
Best presentation ever.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

2 eggs, beaten (not pulverized, not separated)

How the funk do you 'pulverize' an egg?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Beat it to hell and back.

<edited to add> A Christmas Story is currently on TV, I just stopped for a second while surfing.
The young protagonist just "pulverized" his glasses.

Timing, perfect.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Pat Straub, in From The Loving Earth, advocates for the practice of stir-frying slices of butternut squash with a little olive oil and garlic powder. She guarantees it will make a squash lover out of a squash hater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food