Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times

Advertisements

For the people who are always worried about our lack of (animal) protein, perhaps we can remind about Scott Jurek. Just learned about him. He's an ultramarathoner. He wrote a book called Eat and Run:

Scott Jurek: Eat and Run

His bio:

Wonder what people will say about his ability to compete in extended marathons...on tempeh rather than steak!

Old 07-29-2012, 11:27 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
For the people who are always worried about our lack of (animal) protein, perhaps we can remind about Scott Jurek. Just learned about him. He's an ultramarathoner. He wrote a book called Eat and Run:

His bio:

Wonder what people will say about his ability to compete in extended marathons...on tempeh rather than steak!
They blocked me from repping you but I tried.

Why do we need to defend our choices so much on this forum?

I have proof too - not research but two healthy, happy, smart, popular, good looking, athletic kids who have never and will never touch meat.

The kids I was told would have stunted growth, no friends, feel weird, or like out casts and wish that they could eat a hot dog of the Fourth of July.

None of that ever happened. And they do eat hot dogs on July 4th. Just not made out of crap.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
The only people that worry about the lack of animal protein, are people that aren't informed about nutrition.

But the story of one person doesn't prove anything....

Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

His bio:

Very interesting link! My proof is how much better I feel, and how my lab results have improved. And I have much more energy as well.

And in the past few years MANY of my friends have switched to a vegan diet, and they all say the same....

Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
That is proof that the athlete planned a healthy vegan diet. It isn't proof that vegan diets are healthy. A properly planned vegan diet can absolutely positively be healthy. An improperly planned vegan diet can be dangerous to your health.

That is no different from omnivorous or non-vegan vegetarian diets; improperly executed, they can be disastrous to your health. Properly executed, they can be lifesaving. Moderately executed, they can be sustaining. Vegan diets and vegetarian diets are no different, in that aspect.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Gotta love the semantic games.....c'mon....the point of the post is that vegan diets can provide sufficient protein and energy for someone with much higher than normal protein and energy requirements.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,872 times
My husband and I went vegan(also fat free) for health reasons. Yes, we have lost weight and my blood pressure now rivals with a teenager. My husband who was a big meat eater absolutely loves this diet. I, on the other hand, crave cheese terribly. I was told that the craving would go away, but after 4 months it has not.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
My husband and I went vegan(also fat free) for health reasons. Yes, we have lost weight and my blood pressure now rivals with a teenager. My husband who was a big meat eater absolutely loves this diet. I, on the other hand, crave cheese terribly. I was told that the craving would go away, but after 4 months it has not.
If you have no ethical objection to a less stringent vegetarian diet, you might want to ask your doctor about adding fats in the form of small amounts of dairy daily or weekly back into your diet.

Also, it's generally not healthy to live completely fat-free. Your body needs fats. You can get them from nuts, legumes, vegetable oils of all kinds, etc. etc. if you'd prefer not to add dairy back to your regiment.

You might also want to get your sodium levels checked; sometimes cravings are signals that there's something missing in your diet. Cheese (as opposed to milk) tends to have a good amount of sodium in it. Just like with fats, your body -does- need salt. It makes use of it. If you're also doing a no-sodium, rather than a low-sodium, it's something to consider.

Eliminating entire nutritional categories (such as fats) from the diet is always risky, unless both you and your husband have some really bizarre rare genetic disease that prevents your bodies from processing fats. But that's unlikely in one person, let alone in a married couple who aren't blood related.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
If you went "fat free," you would likely die within a year or two. The consumption of fats is vital.

I have a former body builder friend who went on a fat-free, salt-free diet and, at the age of 25, he nearly died. They had to rush him into the ER while he was having a fit of seizures. The cause, lack of sufficient fats to carry on liver functions and low electrolytes. The cure: bacon, buttered bread, and chocolate cake until his liver and brain began to function properly again. *Note the high levels of saturated fat.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you have no ethical objection to a less stringent vegetarian diet, you might want to ask your doctor about adding fats in the form of small amounts of dairy daily or weekly back into your diet.

Also, it's generally not healthy to live completely fat-free. Your body needs fats. You can get them from nuts, legumes, vegetable oils of all kinds, etc. etc. if you'd prefer not to add dairy back to your regiment.

You might also want to get your sodium levels checked; sometimes cravings are signals that there's something missing in your diet. Cheese (as opposed to milk) tends to have a good amount of sodium in it. Just like with fats, your body -does- need salt. It makes use of it. If you're also doing a no-sodium, rather than a low-sodium, it's something to consider.

Eliminating entire nutritional categories (such as fats) from the diet is always risky, unless both you and your husband have some really bizarre rare genetic disease that prevents your bodies from processing fats. But that's unlikely in one person, let alone in a married couple who aren't blood related.
Let me elaborate. We do eat beans,etc, which have some fat naturally. We just don't add fats while cooking. An example would be cooking with vegatable broth instead of oil. We also do not eat nuts due to the high fat content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food