Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,074,338 times

Advertisements

Not sure what you're referring to, but I just realized which thread I was posting in... It takes 20~30 pounds of grain/corn based feed to produce one pound of beef, this process isn't sustainable and directly consuming the grain/corn makes far more sense. The higher efficiency of veg*n diets is one of the primary environmental arguments for veg*n diets. The idea that eating corn and grains is going to make you fat is well...not historically accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,040,072 times
Anythng will make you fat if you eat enough of it. Corn has got lots of strikes against it - one of the biggest for me is that most of it is genetically modified.

Read up on the genetically engineered aspect of corn....corn is a multi billion dollar industry in this country. Several European peer reviewed studies that showed that GMC is dangerous have been bad mouthed in the American press by "scientists not related to the studies." Well of course - Monsanto is protecting ithe multi-billion dollar corn industry - how many "scientists" do you think are on Monsanto's payroll?

A French scientific study showed that rats fed genetically engineered corn developed tumors and died pematurely. Six European countries have now taken a stand against genetically modified corn....corn is in so many things. The average American diet is full of corn in one form or another - much more than they realize. No I don't believe genetically modified corn is good for us.

If I am going to eat starches, I'll have a small baked sweet plain sweet potato - much healthier and more satisfying.

Monsanto: Dangers of Genetically Modified Corn « DarkGovernment

Last edited by Cattknap; 01-09-2013 at 03:00 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,673,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Not sure what you're referring to, but I just realized which thread I was posting in... It takes 20~30 pounds of grain/corn based feed to produce one pound of beef, this process isn't sustainable and directly consuming the grain/corn makes far more sense. The higher efficiency of veg*n diets is one of the primary environmental arguments for veg*n diets. The idea that eating corn and grains is going to make you fat is well...not historically accurate.
I did not say, or mean to imply, that simply eating corn will make you fat. A poster suggested that a vegetarian diet is more efficient than an omnivorous one, because people could just eat all the corn grown for livestock instead--essentially replacing meat with corn. That is what I am objecting to, not enjoying an ear of corn a few times a week. Perhaps living on corn works for some people, but I come from a family of Nebraskan farmers. There's a reason why "corn-fed" implies a husky appearance.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,040,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjulia View Post
i did not say, or mean to imply, that simply eating corn will make you fat. A poster suggested that a vegetarian diet is more efficient than an omnivorous one, because people could just eat all the corn grown for livestock instead--essentially replacing meat with corn. That is what i am objecting to, not enjoying an ear of corn a few times a week. Perhaps living on corn works for some people, but i come from a family of nebraskan farmers. There's a reason why "corn-fed" implies a husky appearance.
:-)

Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
but I come from a family of Nebraskan farmers. There's a reason why "corn-fed" implies a husky appearance.
Americans don't eat plain corn, they eat it covered in butter, mixed with cream, they make corn bread, etc....all of these are high fat foods. Its not the corn that is making them husky, instead the consumption of high fat foods. If you look at societies that eat plain corn, like the Mayan, they aren't husky at all.

If Americans replaced their beef consumption with corn consumption calorie for calorie they would be healthier and it would be for better for the environment. But people don't necessarily need to eat corn, the land can be used to grow a number of other crops as well. The point is that directly eating plant foods is far more efficient than eating plant foods indirectly via meat.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Anythng will make you fat if you eat enough of it. Corn has got lots of strikes against it - one of the biggest for me is that most of it is genetically modified.
The issues surrounding GMO crops is an entirely different topic, there is non-GMO corn and we can grow that. Indeed, one of the reasons GMO corn has been developed is to fuel the high corn needs of the meat industry. If we were just growing corn for human consumption we could grow much less and we could focus on higher quality crops.

Regardless, the environmental argument for veg*n diets is rooted in the fact that its more efficient to directly consumption plant crops rather than consume them indirectly via meat where it takes up to 25 pounds to produce one pound of meat. Not to mention it takes more energy, water, etc.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM

217 posts, read 313,028 times
I went vegetarian first (now vegan) because the way the animals are treated in factory farms. Its plain awful and i didnt want to be part of that.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:47 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,119,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, corn is a starchy vegetable and humans (unlike cows) are well adapted to eat starchy vegetables. The glycemic index is primarily a concern for overweight people that are becoming diabetic, healthy individuals can eat high glycemic foods without any problem. Corn was the primary stable food in many (native) American cultures and these people never were overweight, developed diabetes, etc as a result.

But sure, leafy greens are certainly more nutrient dense than things like corn and are great to eat. But that doesn't mean corn is bad for you, its not.
I am a big lover of starches - Noodles, potatoes, Bread.... I have heard that very high intakes of carbs can lead to diabetes, but are they refering to simple carbs like sugar or all carbs.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,292,736 times
I do eat small portions of meat, mostly chicken or fish--my problems is I love animals and eating them is against everything in my thinking. I was raised with meat and potatoes, very German type eating and from a family of farmers but I'm not sure if it's more my mind or body that is starting to reject meat but it certainly is and I am all for it. My grandmother was a person who believed in listening to what her body told her she needed--she lived to be 96 years old so I have to believe she knew more then I do but am trying to learn from her! Her advise was your body will tell you what you need if you just listen! My body is begging for veggies! Smile!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 AM

14,665 posts, read 14,624,550 times
I eat fish and some dairy products now, but was vegan for 15 years and vegetarian a bit after that. It's very difficult to be vegan when traveling, especially abroad. It's also a concession I made when getting married, and even bigger concession that my child eats meat. I keep telling myself I'll go back to a vegan diet at some point again in my life, but that remains to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food