U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM

65 posts, read 139,952 times

Advertisements

I am not completely vegan, but am avoiding meat and dairy and almost every dish people prepare at holiday feasts has some sort of meat, butter or milk in it. I don't want to miss out on those mashed potatoes and yams/sweet potatoes. Is it rude to bring my own vegan versions of mashed potatoes and gravy and sweet potato casserole just for my husband and I? Even if they are preparing their own with dairy/butter? What do some of you do in this situation?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 12:02 PM

21,515 posts, read 27,345,853 times
Everyone who I celebrate with is understanding, at this point. I take a main dish for myself and a side. There are usually a few other things that I can eat, but I discuss it first. Most of the people I celebrate with are food conscious - at least some degree of vegetarian, vegan, eschew red meat, lactose intolerant, gluten free ...whatever. I'll put it this way, I don't know anyone who eats like Paula Dean at this point. Hell, Paula Dean doesn't eat like Paula Dean anymore!

Generally, I have celebrations at home because it's easier. I don't have meat in my home because it makes me sick. My children didn't grow up with meat in their home and my friends know this so it's a non issue.
They all enjoy the food I prepare.

It might be easier for you to take something with you, that is a meal in a dish - such as vegetarian lasagna, if this is one of your first Holidays eating meat free. There is usually salad, bread and a few other sides that you can eat.

One word of warning - in my experience omnivores love to sample the veg*n dish. Sometimes they devour it! So take enough for everyone!

And no, it's not rude - just take the sweet potatoes and a main dish. Let your host know why you are doing it.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,516,653 times
I would definitely make something for myself if I couldn't get the hostess to use margerine in her mashed taters instead of butter. It's a good opportunity to introduce them to some casseroles or knishes or something that they will love anyway.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 AM

Thank you both for your suggestions. My husband and I talked it over and we will most likely be bringing our own mashed potatoes and probably a couple other things to the parties. This works good for my brother's Thanksgiving since all his wife and my niece are vegan. However, my mom, other brother and sister are not - in fact my mom is currently paleo/atkins diet pro-meat lol. She still will eat a little dairy though.

My stepson's Christmas dinner is another story - everyone there is meat and dairy eaters.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 PM

Where do these "paleo" eaters even get the idea that cavemen lived on nothing but meat? Hunting-gathering tribes live on 80-90% plant foods, except the ones above the Arctic Circle of course.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM

21,515 posts, read 27,345,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
Thank you both for your suggestions. My husband and I talked it over and we will most likely be bringing our own mashed potatoes and probably a couple other things to the parties. This works good for my brother's Thanksgiving since all his wife and my niece are vegan. However, my mom, other brother and sister are not - in fact my mom is currently paleo/atkins diet pro-meat lol. She still will eat a little dairy though.

My stepson's Christmas dinner is another story - everyone there is meat and dairy eaters.
Yeah you brought up a good point about mashed potatoes - they can conceal many things - dairy butter, cheese and chicken broth. So it's best to take your own.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Where do these "paleo" eaters even get the idea that cavemen lived on nothing but meat? Hunting-gathering tribes live on 80-90% plant foods, except the ones above the Arctic Circle of course.
I'm not sure where they get that idea either.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:01 PM

OK, what are some of the things you know of that vegans can import to an omnivore Txgiving dinner? My ideas:

Vegan pumpkin pie
Cinnamon-raisin-bread-apple-cranberry dressing
Long grain and wild rice with sage, onions, and maybe mushrooms
Apple-orange salad
Cranberry sauce or relish
Baked taters, regular or sweet
Cornbread stuffing
Lentil loaves
Sweet potato casserole

Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM

13,251 posts, read 40,145,475 times
I think it'd be presumptuous to make just enough for your spouse and yourself, and bring it over. It's insulting to the host, and rude to all the other guests.

What you MIGHT do instead, is ask the host if you can bring a vegan side dish or two, to serve to EVERYONE who chooses to take a helping.

The rice with mushrooms idea above sounds delicious. And I don't put any dairy into my mashed potatoes. Or non-dairy. I just bake them and mash them up with minced garlic. I put cheese on my own serving and my husband has his with gravy.
You could volunteer the mashed potatoes, and let people put whatever they like ON them, once they have their serving on their own plate.

My personal favorite all-veggie dish would be candied yams. I don't use butter or margarine or any dairy substitute. I just use lots of brown sugar, some raisins, a little apple cider, a can of chunked pineapple, a squeeze of lemon, some mandarin orange segments, and fresh-ground cinnamon stick. Oh and a couple cloves in each corner of the dish, and 2 cloves in the middle. There is nothing about this dish, that non-vegetarians would snort at. It's hard-core amazing

Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,088,731 times
I always bring several vegan dishes to share with everyone: stuffed acorn squash or maple syrup yam dish, wild rice pilaf, and a huge tossed salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food