Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
My point wasn't about the diet as much the idea. Thats all. Didn't mean to hurt anybodys feelings, just using "opposites" is all.

And it is one meal/snack. I don't know anyone who goes to a concert for the food.
I agree, people do not go to these events for the food, but I also think, a majority, would expect to find a choice if they do want to grab something to eat. Now, if it is advertised in advanced about only vegetarian foods, people will be prepared and can choose to attend or not, unless they have already bought a ticket. Then they have no choice. I still have a huge problem with the entire idea and I don't have any problem with people choosing the diet that suits them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree, people do not go to these events for the food, but I also think, a majority, would expect to find a choice if they do want to grab something to eat. Now, if it is advertised in advanced about only vegetarian foods, people will be prepared and can choose to attend or not, unless they have already bought a ticket. Then they have no choice. I still have a huge problem with the entire idea and I don't have any problem with people choosing the diet that suits them.
Why the problem? Just curious and like your opinion.

Couldn't it be viewed as a "theme" type concert? If I were a store there, I'd be a bit "mad" but then again it would make me become creative in make'n something "theme" based. McD's could come up with a veggie burger or something, I would think anyway.

An all veg "theme" isn't for me, but I hate to say no to that and then turn around and ask for a meat themed show. Maybe at a rodeo or something have beef as the theme, or a dog show have chinese theme. hahaha just a joke on the dog show theme.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Imagine the hue and cry if a band announced the demand for all products served at one of their venues, to include some kind of animal-based ingredients. Maybe they'd only serve mead for drinks - which is made from honey and therefore not vegan. And no salads that don't already have meat pre-mixed, or mayo-based dressings already mixed into them.

Of course such a thing wouldn't happen, because omnivorous-based restaurants offer undressed salads, and drinks that don't involve animal by-products. So omnivorous-based restaurants -do- provide at least *something* for people who want either, or both. This venue is going to say "sorry, do without" to a pretty significant portion of the fanbase. Not that they'd want to actually BUY something..but the option is now removed.

It sets a dangerous precidence. I'd much rather see Morrissey tell Staples Center that they have to INCLUDE more vegan options, rather than require them to EXCLUDE non-vegan options.

Also just for the record - if I were a Morrissey fan, I would totally love the idea of having a falafel pita with tahini at one of their concerts, if it were available. But telling me I'm not -allowed- to have the typical hotdog if I wanted it - would be good reason for me to take my concert-going dollars elsewhere. It's the principal of the thing, not the product itself.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
I wonder if Morrisey was actually able to give away enough tickets for people to experience this self-righteousness first hand. But, if you actually paid to see this pretensious minimal "talent," you only have yourself to blame for what you're subjected to.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
Looks like he will get vegetarian additions but not meat-free:

"It may not be a victory at all. The venue has since said that although they "respect Morrissey's lifestyle", the meat on their grills will still be sizzling – vegetarianism will simply be an option."

Morrissey has beef with venue over vegetarian menu | Music | guardian.co.uk

Last edited by bongo; 02-22-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Looks like he will get vegetarian additions but not meat-free:

"It may not be a victory at all. The venue has since said that although they "respect Morrissey's lifestyle", the meat on their grills will still be sizzling – vegetarianism will simply be an option."

Morrissey has beef with venue over vegetarian menu | Music | guardian.co.uk
In the same article (which is actually the pont of the article), Morrissey insists that the Staples Center venue is contractually obligated to serve ONLY vegetarian foods, and that they shut McDonalds' down during his visit. Which is pretty silly, really, because Morrissey can't overrule a contract that the Staples Center has with McDonalds'. I'm guessing that McD's already has a binding contract with the arena, permitting them to open and do business for ALL days that the Center is open. Morrissey just doesn't have that kind of clout. And if Staples gives in, then they're opening themselves up for a HUGE lawsuit from McDonalds' Corp.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
I believe a concert facility can serve a variety of items including healthy and veggie options. However, I do not think a performer has a right to ban meat for concert goers, especially when they are the ones spending their hard earned dollars. He is being arrogant and elitist. He can support animal rights, but no one else should be compelled to do so just becasue it is his cause.

If he wants to own a concert venue and do that, then it is OK. I think they should be more respectful to the customers and just tell the musician they will work and make sure acoustics and amenities that help him perform will be done and he will not determine their concessions. The musician needs to keep his ego in check and concentrate on performing. The venue should serve whatever it deems as OK.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
I just read that McDonald's has a contract that they will be open during performances. It is one thing to have an opinion and another to think you have the right to decide for everyone else. Paul McCartney is vegetarian, but would never do that. He concentrates on his PERFORMANCE and Morrissey should do the same. McCartney has more class. Morrissey should learn from his example.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
A welcome change! Albert Einstein was also one that agreed with a meatless diet.
Albert Einstein was not a vegetarian.

Also, it's a bit of a stretch to even use a douche like Morrissey and Einstein in the same sentence let alone insinuate that they are/were like minded. Morrisey is nothing more than a marginal performer who uses controversy like this in a feeble attempt to remain relevant. He is so self-absorbed that he doesn't even realize how ridiculous he looks insisting that his "morals" somehow trump the desires of paying customers or the legal and binding agreements made long before his circus came to town and will be in existence long after it leaves.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Why the problem? Just curious and like your opinion.

Couldn't it be viewed as a "theme" type concert? If I were a store there, I'd be a bit "mad" but then again it would make me become creative in make'n something "theme" based. McD's could come up with a veggie burger or something, I would think anyway.

An all veg "theme" isn't for me, but I hate to say no to that and then turn around and ask for a meat themed show. Maybe at a rodeo or something have beef as the theme, or a dog show have chinese theme. hahaha just a joke on the dog show theme.
If it is advertised as a "theme" concert and everyone who buys tickets know in advance there will be nothing served that isn't vegetarian that is one thing, but if people buy tickets without the Vegetarian aspect being known, they have every right to be furious and unless, the concert was booked as a Veggie Theme, I do not think the star has a right to dictate what can be sold.This would be like the Osmonds demanding, if they were intertaining in showroom in Vegas, no coffee or alcolhol be served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food