Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

As is being pointed out here, over and over: 1-these studies or any studies, for that matter have so many varibles they mean almost nothing. 2-so many things can lead to diabetes, or contribute to the development of it; heredity, over wieght, lack of exercise, age, and so on. All one has to do is look around and see who you know with type 2...Some are fat and lazy, some exercise, some skinny, some fall in the middle. This holds true for many deseases.

I have to admit, when I hear anyone, who is a PETA supporter start in with the claims this doctor is making I take what is said with a grain of salt.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:33 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And none of this has anything to do with whether or not you eat meat.

A lot of the people out there on horrible diets are eating waaaaaaaaay too much meat.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
A lot of the people out there on horrible diets are eating waaaaaaaaay too much meat.
A lot of people on horrible diets don't eat any meat at all. Again - this has nothing to do with the topic.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They have kind of done this study in reverse A BUNCH OF TIMES.
On mainland U.S. and in Hawaii.

Asians who come over and adopt local diet do much worse than their counterparts back overseas.
This has been shown in several different asian populations and with several kinds of american diets.
THIS ^^^^ The best example seems to be Japan.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
The Japanese eat a diet rich in fish and shellfish. So if that's the best example of vegetarians being healthy, vs. vegetarians being unhealthy, then perhaps you're defining vegetarian different from everyone else.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
There are many ways to have a horrible diet than how much meat one eats and there are people who have lived on high fat, heavy meat diets that live to be in their 90s. My mil and my dad were perfect examples. Mother in law thought saving the bacon fat and any other fat was a necessity so you could flavor the green beans or other veggies that cooked for a day or so. Dad thought, eggs were meant to be eaten every day, along with a lb size steak, etc...

Do I recommend eating that way? Of course not, but this idea that vegans, particularly are automatically healthier is based on someones ideas, not on scienitific proof.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
The Japanese eat a diet rich in fish and shellfish. So if that's the best example of vegetarians being healthy, vs. vegetarians being unhealthy, then perhaps you're defining vegetarian different from everyone else.
Not to mention the well marbled fatty beef and pork - I make a weekly trip to the Japanese market and they are definitely red meat eaters. They also consume very high quality meats, which is why I love shopping there.

The portions are just smaller from what I've gathered. all in all we eat more Japanese meals than any other cuisine.

When Gary Taubes studied and anylized all the studies done about diet, nutrition weight loss, etc and wrote the book Good Calories, Bad Calories, he was himself shocked by what he found and revealed that he had adjusted his own eating habits accordingly. One of the rules he found is that meat consumption is highly desirable for the human body.

I wouldn't attend Dr. Donteatmeat's seminar if they paid me.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM

353 posts, read 580,612 times
I have seen that in a movie " Forks Over Knives" and they are treating diabetes, high cholesterol and get people off their medications. Generally, they promote some awesome results. I highly recommend watching this movie.

Last edited by lil_fox13; 03-14-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,732,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
You take 100 meat eaters and 100 vegans and they compare the data. They aren't looking at the population at large.
That is absolutely not how you do it unless you want massively confounded results. Unfortunately, that is how it is usually done.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Not to mention the well marbled fatty beef and pork - I make a weekly trip to the Japanese market and they are definitely red meat eaters.
Going to a Japanese market in the US isn't going to tell you about meat consumption in Japan, the Japanese eat noticeably less pork and dramatically less beef than Americans.

When people think about foreign foods, they tend to look at the foreign foods available in the US but these are usually Americanized and that means they are made meat-heavy.

Regardless, the information about meat consumption by country is available, see here:

Daily chart: Kings of the carnivores | The Economist

As can be seen Americans top the charts, the Japanese eat around 1/3 as much as meat as Americans.

Quote:
When Gary Taubes studied and anylized all the studies done about diet, nutrition weight loss, etc and wrote the book Good Calories, Bad Calories
Gary Taubes by no means analyzed "all the studies", he selectively looked for studies that would paint the picture he wanted for his book. Gary Taubes is a writer, not a scientist, and the idea that he has figured out some big secret that has escape some of the best biologists, doctors, etc in the country is a bit funny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food