Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 AM

100 posts, read 269,761 times

Advertisements

My worst experience with a vegetarian/vegan meal was a while ago at a small restaurant by UCSD. I ordered a vegetable stir fry and upon taking a bite (brace your stomachs everyone) and then attempting to swallow the food I felt a very strange feeling in that the food refused to go all the way down my throat , so I ate another mouthful of food to try and get the food down and it still felt lodged and then I realized what was going on and had to reach into my mouth and pull out a very long human hair from the back of my throat. Eeeewww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Nice story AC.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Nice story AC.
Bad experience made good by exceptional customer service. Claire is the main reason why, when one of my customers touches me emotionally, I give hugs. It's amazing what that moment of human contact between near-strangers can do for the soul.

Another time I chewed on the salad and noticed an odd bite. I took it out of my mouth and it turned out to be a tie-twistie. It didn't come from the bag that the salad was in - Claire's produce vendor doesn't use them for her orders. But they think it's possible that the same vendor uses them for different customers and this one somehow fell into the bag of lettuce (it was a light green twistie, almost the same color as the lettuce). They offered to give me the salad free but I had almost finished it so I told them not to worry, it was obviously not their mistake, you would've had to have picked through the 5-pound bag of lettuce just to find the thing, and if they'd just let their vendor know that it happened I think all three parties (the vendor, Claire's, and me) would be satisfied.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Sherri View Post
I was invited to a birthday party at an upscale italian restaurant in the town I live in...
Oh my word I had a very similar experience.

Shortly after I moved to America with my family (hubby + 3 kids) we had our first Thanksgiving. We knew no-one and were living in a pokey rental so decided to treat ourselves to a posh restaurant. I specifically asked when booking if there would be vegetarian options - they said yes so I booked.
Turned out their idea of a vegetarian option was just the vegetables minus the Turkey - no pasta, carbs, protein - nothing. My face must have said it all and the waitress eventually sorted us out with a pasta dish instead, which consisted of .. wait for it.. penne with a jar of pasta sauce poured over - you know like you could make yourself at home in about 10 minutes for about $1.25. Not even so much as a garnish. For this we paid their standard thanksgiving price of $50 per head. Never again. We might as well have stayed at home.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM

271 posts, read 600,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Oh my word I had a very similar experience.

Shortly after I moved to America with my family (hubby + 3 kids) we had our first Thanksgiving. We knew no-one and were living in a pokey rental so decided to treat ourselves to a posh restaurant. I specifically asked when booking if there would be vegetarian options - they said yes so I booked.
Turned out their idea of a vegetarian option was just the vegetables minus the Turkey - no pasta, carbs, protein - nothing. My face must have said it all and the waitress eventually sorted us out with a pasta dish instead, which consisted of .. wait for it.. penne with a jar of pasta sauce poured over - you know like you could make yourself at home in about 10 minutes for about $1.25. Not even so much as a garnish. For this we paid their standard thanksgiving price of $50 per head. Never again. We might as well have stayed at home.
What killed me about this restaurant what that they had some nice vegetarian options on their menu, eggplant rollatini, butternut squash ravioli, pasta primavera etc. I have no idea why I got what I got, and the waitress told me we made something especially for you, I thought it was going to be something nice, not a very small plate of barely cooked vegetables. That restaurant really should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
- I went to a vegan restaurant called "Green Cuisine" in Victoria, BC. My then-GF was boosting it up... if you were to look up "bland" in the dictionary, there would be a photo of the interior of their restaurant. News flash, you dumb hippies: SPICES ARE VEGAN. Ugh. No flavor to anything, and everything was off in texture... horrible, horrible food. A total throwback to the 80's, when vegetarian and healthy food was just starting to take off and no one had figured out how to make it taste good yet.

It's the sort of stuff that makes people hate vegetarian and vegan cooking.

- I went to a Christmas dinner at a country club this year, and though we'd specified a vegetarian meal, they brought me a side of roast. When I sent it back, they came back with mashed potatoes with no gravy, and about six pieces of steamed asparagus

Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I don't know. People describe themselves as vegetarians and order salmon croquettes, then you tell them you're a vegan and they think you're not allowed any oils? I just don't know. Even if that were true, is the staff too dumb to make a big salad for you?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It was a hotel restaurant on a group tour ... and they served me a whole head of cauliflower, steamed, with cheese sauce poured over it.
^^^
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh out loud.

I live in Germany where vegetarian meals come with the 3 German spices: salt, pepper and speck (bacon).
Yes, really.
I self-cater a lot.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had some really bad Indian food. Not sure if it was the cook, or the food. Or is all Indian food just plain bad? We had some green slime, I think it was some kind of puree, with lumps of cottage cheese in it. Spinach maybe? It was nasty. The rest of the meal was under some brown and yellow sauce, it was spicy, but not good. Maybe it was eggplant. Not sure.

I have never had Indian food before, so was this representative of Indian cuisine? Not sire. But we are not going there again.
No, it's not!
Indian is my favorite food followed by Thai.

You had spinach and paneer (a milk/fresh cheese product). They call the dish palak paneer, it's fresh spinach with paneer.

You need to try a good Indian restaurant.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 PM

261 posts, read 497,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
-

It's the sort of stuff that makes people hate vegetarian and vegan cooking.
I couldn't agree with you more. I've gone to several functions that involve vegetarian potlucks and the crap you see these people serve is enough to turn anyone off from vegetarianism.

We are more sophisticated in our repertoire today. There's no excuse for bland vegetarian food, especially at a restaurant. No fake meat required, even!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food