Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Vegan - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

The thing with veganism is that many, if not most, people don't realize how many products come from animals, or they don't stop to consider things like gelatin, honey, flu vaccines, or drugs derived from animal parts or hormones. Even cigarettes are not vegan. Then there are personal care effects such as cosmetics, soaps, shampoos and conditioners, and household products like glue, fabric softeners, and motor oil.

11 Items Weirdly Made From Animal Parts - Fabric softeners, cigarettes, sugar, and other meaty products

Honestly? If you want to get down to the strictest sense of veganism, it's dang near impossible and even the most conscientious adherent probably uses animal parts without knowing it.

So if I were you, I would just go with "vegetarian" and leave it at that.
Vegetarian implies ovo-lacto, which is not what I'm doing. Guess I'll just say vegan food-wise only. My motivation is health, not ethical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 AM

65 posts, read 149,463 times
I consider myself "mostly" plant-based and not strict vegan or vegetarian. 95% of my weekly diet is plant-based foods. We go out to eat Mexican food maybe once a week and I will usually have some chicken tacos at that time. Chicken and turkey is the only meat I like and will eat on occasion. I also have 2 scrambled eggs once a week at home and the occasional dairy mixed in something when eating out. Also on a rare occasion some sour cream or greek yogurt topped on something.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyD View Post
I consider myself "mostly" plant-based and not strict vegan or vegetarian. 95% of my weekly diet is plant-based foods. We go out to eat Mexican food maybe once a week and I will usually have some chicken tacos at that time. Chicken and turkey is the only meat I like and will eat on occasion. I also have 2 scrambled eggs once a week at home and the occasional dairy mixed in something when eating out. Also on a rare occasion some sour cream or greek yogurt topped on something.
I too prefer the term plant-based...it really says what you want it to.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I too prefer the term plant-based...it really says what you want it to.
That makes perfect sense, but I think it would confuse many. They'd assume you just eat veggies and nothing else. When I was vegetarian I mentioned to someone that I was vegetarian and she said 'you mean you eat sprouts and stuff like that'?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 AM

65 posts, read 149,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
That makes perfect sense, but I think it would confuse many. They'd assume you just eat veggies and nothing else. When I was vegetarian I mentioned to someone that I was vegetarian and she said 'you mean you eat sprouts and stuff like that'?
It does confuse some as I have told people I'm plant based and they say "all you eat is vegetables?" I don't really go into too much explanation, but let them know I also eat my fair share of grains, fruits and nuts. I think the mentality of some people think the term vegan diet means all you eat is vegetables and plants - which is not the case.

My main reason for this type of eating is not only do I love the foods, but I'm also not a meat/cheese/dairy lover in general. I seem to do just fine with very little meat in my diet and don't crave it enough to eat often. I do this also for health reasons. I do care about the welfare of the animals and try to contribute less to their killing and inhumane treatments and I hope every little bit helps.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
LOL - well I say keep 'em guessing

Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattknap View Post
lol - well i say keep 'em guessing :d
:d

Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Vegan - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

The thing with veganism is that many, if not most, people don't realize how many products come from animals, or they don't stop to consider things like gelatin, honey, flu vaccines, or drugs derived from animal parts or hormones. Even cigarettes are not vegan. Then there are personal care effects such as cosmetics, soaps, shampoos and conditioners, and household products like glue, fabric softeners, and motor oil.

11 Items Weirdly Made From Animal Parts - Fabric softeners, cigarettes, sugar, and other meaty products

Honestly? If you want to get down to the strictest sense of veganism, it's dang near impossible and even the most conscientious adherent probably uses animal parts without knowing it.

So if I were you, I would just go with "vegetarian" and leave it at that.
Yes there are animal products in many things, many of the things you listed do have animal friendly versions however. This is original definition of the term vegan :
"The word “veganism”denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals”

Of course nobody is 100% animal free. Like the definition states it's about eliminating animal use where is practical and possible.
I would caution people against using the term "vegan" to describe their eating habits if they are going to eat meat 3 months out of the year. It's cases like this where people try to shove meat down my throat because they know a "vegan" that makes exceptions or takes breaks being "vegan" when travelling. I would prefer people that aren't ethically motivated to avoid animal products (the whole reason the word was invented ) would use a different term to describe their dietary habits. Veganism is philosophy and way of life not just a diet.
Vegans aren't going to start chowing down on animal bits just because somebody else thinks it's rude that they aren't partaking. I've attended many BBQ's and it was never a problem for the host to grill a veggie burger or a portobello mushroom or something.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Yes there are animal products in many things, many of the things you listed do have animal friendly versions however. This is original definition of the term vegan :
"The word “veganism”denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals”

Of course nobody is 100% animal free. Like the definition states it's about eliminating animal use where is practical and possible.
I would caution people against using the term "vegan" to describe their eating habits if they are going to eat meat 3 months out of the year. It's cases like this where people try to shove meat down my throat because they know a "vegan" that makes exceptions or takes breaks being "vegan" when travelling. I would prefer people that aren't ethically motivated to avoid animal products (the whole reason the word was invented ) would use a different term to describe their dietary habits. Veganism is philosophy and way of life not just a diet.
Vegans aren't going to start chowing down on animal bits just because somebody else thinks it's rude that they aren't partaking. I've attended many BBQ's and it was never a problem for the host to grill a veggie burger or a portobello mushroom or something.
No one can be a 'part-time' vegan or vegetarian. The term plant-based diet will not be understood by most people. I'm just doing a 26 day experiment as on the 27th day I'll be travelling. It's easy to be a guest at a BBQ and ask for a veggie burger, but the travelling I do would make it impossible. I'll be spending a month as a guest in my family's homes - one is a meat eater, and one is ovo-lacto vegetarian. Imagine the inconvenience of asking them to make us special meals for a month!

I was a guest at a family's house in Australia where 4 types of BBQ flesh were served every night. On one of my trips there I was pescatarian and even that made it inconvenient for our hosts/hostesses. It was soon after this trip that I began eating meat again.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM

Plant-based diet, for those of you who don't know what that means, means this: No animal products as in:

"I eat a plant-based, no animal-products diet"....pretty simple. I don't care to be identified at "vegan." I've had zero problem with this term when I order out or explain my eating habits to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food