Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,744 times

Advertisements

Just received my order of organic foods from Sun Organic Farms, including the Udon, Soba and Nori--products with which I am really not familiar and have never used. The Udon and the Soba look identical, like very light tan spaghetti. The Nori is in sheets.

Can anyone recommend the best uses for these products? (and I'll search online in the mean time). I have read, somewhere, that it is good to put a bit of Nori in your beans, I think to prevent gas, not sure.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Nori can be used to eat rice - take a piece and pinch some white rice and pop it in your mouth. Fancier? Onigiri. The udon and soba are great in broth like Memmi with a sprinkling of chopped mushrooms and sliced scallion.

Onigiri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
The nori -- as I remember first you had to toast it somehow -- but I used it almost the same way as making a wrap. Rice and veggies in it.

Nori rolls-- cooked rice, small carrot cut in strips, a green scallion, 1/4 tsp umeboshi paste, salt, water.
Cook the carrot, blanch scallion, place rice onto nori strip, press on, make a narrow track in the rice & spread lightly with umeboshi paste, place a few carrot strips and scallion strips over the paste. Roll it up, moisten the flap end of sheet to seal.

I know kombu seaweed (kelp) will help with beans if you soak them together overnight, maybe nori will too. Supposed to make the beans cook faster the next day and not give you gas.

Udon noodles -- from wheat. use in any recipe for noodles. Soba is made from buckwheat and is a noodle that's good as a wheat substitute.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:34 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Soba with a spicy peanut sauce, julienne some carrots, snow peas, bok choy, good hot or cold.

Udon in a mushroom broth with sliced mushrooms, snow peas, carrots, bok choy, fresh grated ginger and fried garlic chips.

I like my nori done as a hand roll with sticky rice, avocado, cucumber, carrots and radishes. I make a dipping sauce with lime juice, sesame oil, grated ginger, scallions, sambal chili paste and a little soy sauce.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Udon is a noodle mostly used in hot soups. Soba is a buckwheat noodle often eaten cold.

Nori is used to wrap around sushi rice to make various forms of sushi. Sushi basically means "rice," rather than "raw fish," as so many people mistakenly think.

The seaweed you add to rice to make it cook softer is kombu, and it only takes a small piece to a whole pot.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
What is the best instant udon brand right now? I would like to buy some for breakfast during my work week. I can't eat eggs/bacon or instant ramen every morning now.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
I've had Annie Chun's, and several others whose name I don't recall. But I greatly prefer the moist pack udon noodles over dried, and just pick whatever looks good at the time when I'm shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food