Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 07:06 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,977 times

Advertisements

Do trans fatty acids increase the incidence of type 2 diabetes?

There is evidence (above me) to suggest that cutting out trans fats pretty much cuts out the cause of diabetes. And yes, I can find more, but links for the sake of links is redundant.

However, there's something else you should know. In order to increase "shelf life" even regular vegetable oils are cut with trans fats (and not marked as such). Canola oil is especially bad, it's always GMO and pretty much always supplemented. Canola is actually rapeseed oil, which due to a high (healthy) acid content that people "don't like" they've devised a chemical stripping technique of extracting the oil. Canola actually stands for CANadianOilLowAcid.

If you're vegetarian, no problem, just supplement food with dairy fats. But if you can't eat stuff like butter, things get a bit scary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ical-gunk.html

I'm not even a vegetarian, though I could become one, since I don't like cooking red meat much. I couldn't become a vegan though, since I do find that eggs and milk have health benefits, and I've been really addicted to the taste of milk for the last several years. But this actually makes things dangerous to be vegan.

Remember, get stuff straight from source, not from oils. Olives (well, expeller pressed extra virgin oil is okay), nuts, seeds, and fish (if you can have it). Avocados, and coconuts are also good sources, and some leaf vegetables also have healthy oils. Avoid frying too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Use a good quality olive oil and instead of butter use Smart Balance or something similar. I use Smart Balance because it's dairy free and I'm allergic to dairy. Get some good oil like you get in fish oil--again, a quality brand, not a cheap drug store brand.

I don't know if cutting out trans fats eliminates diabetes but trans fats aren't a good idea anyway. Frying is totally unnecessary but once in a while I don't think it will kill you--like a good fish and chips meal!!

My doctor told me 15 years ago not to eat trans fats and to eat butter instead (if I could.)

Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM

584 posts, read 576,023 times
Non organic dairy butter is one of the most contaminated foods you can buy. Pesticides, growth hormones and antibiotics are regularly found in butter.

It's super simple to make your own vegan butter. Smart Balance has too many weird ingredients and Earth Balance tastes ok, but at the only grocery store within an hour of my house, it costs $5.59 for a 15 oz tub. Plus, I avoid palm oil, even if they claim their sources are environmentally and gorilla friendly.

With only fresh soy milk, apple cider vinegar, sunflower oil, coconut oil, sea salt, and sunflower lecithin (you can use soy lecithin, but it's hard to find non-GMO. Also, make sure it's mechanically extracted so as to avoid hexane, benzene, etc.) you can make delicious butter that melts on toast and works beautifully in baking and cooking. Because lecithin is highly processed and because I prefer natural alternatives, I don't make this often even though the recipe only requires 1 teaspoon. However, when we have guests over who are used to having butter, they love this stuff.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:36 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Do trans fatty acids increase the incidence of type 2 diabetes?

There is evidence (above me) to suggest that cutting out trans fats pretty much cuts out the cause of diabetes. And yes, I can find more, but links for the sake of links is redundant.
Actually, that's not what your link says. It's a commentary about someone else's research, and it points out some of the flaws and limitations of the study design and of several other studies leading up to that point. I'm not saying trans-fats are good for you: There is plenty of evidence to suggest they are not. Just that you might want to drill down into what the writers said, and perhaps use something more recent than 2001 to make your case.

Also, not to quibble, but your claim is pretty far-fetched--and I say this as one who has tremendous respect for the Nurses' Health Study and for Walter Willett, MD, and Frank Hu, MD, in particular, researchers in the study that commentary is talking about, having spoken with and written about them and their work professionally. Their research, which is what the commentary is about, never claimed that trans-fats cause diabetes. Here is the conclusion to the link I posted:

Quote:
Conclusions: These data suggest that total fat and saturated and monounsaturated fatty acid intakes are not associated with risk of type 2 diabetes in women, but that trans fatty acids increase and polyunsaturated fatty acids reduce risk. Substituting nonhydrogenated polyunsaturated fatty acids for trans fatty acids would likely reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes substantially.
It's about risk, not causation. Big difference.

And not for nothing, but if you're 45 or older, black or Hispanic, or have a family history of the disease, you will have an elevated risk for type 2 diabetes no matter what you do. You can minimize your risk by eating right, exercising, and maintaining a healthy weight, but you will not be able to eliminate it entirely. And sometimes, a bad gene is a bad gene.

But yeah, trans fats are pretty evil. Minimize when you can. Just don't expect that to be a cure-all or fixative for diabetes risk.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
It's not just the source or the presence of fats -- you do needs fat in your diet, and even the usual "only eat olive oil" advice is wildly oversimplifying. A few points:

>> Contaminants, especially pesticides, collect in animal fats and that is a good reason in itself to avoid them. I have never seen any research to show whether they collect in plant fats, but hey, why risk it? Organic is better.

>> Fats in themselves are fine in moderation, even healthy. But oxidized fats (the ones damaged by heating) are pretty lethal, contributing to fun things like cancer and chronic pain.

>> If you fry or bake with fats, you need to use fats that are resistant to heat damage -- and sorry gang, that means saturated fats, the ones that are solid at room temperature. One more reason to limit your piecrust and potato-chip intake.

>> Olive, walnut, peanut, corn and other liquid oils are dreadfully easy to oxidize and should only be used raw, in salad dressings and so forth. Polyunsaturates are the easiest of all to oxidize; don't even think about cooking with them.

>> ANY fat you eat from ANY source makes your liver pour cholesterol into your bloodstream as a way of coping with it. Oxidized fats that increase internal inflammation -- like those pea pods stir-fried in extra-virgin canola oil -- lead to much more cholesterol production than the butter you use to make your special cornbread. Cholesterol is not a sign of illness -- it is a sign that your body is working to clear the bad out. High cholesterol means you have a LOT of bad to clear out.

>> The Framingham study that everyone misquotes, saying that saturated fat causes heart disease, actually concluded the opposite: the more highly saturated the fat, the better it is for your arteries, although fat should always be a small part of your diet. Lard, butter and tallow are the best for baking and cooking; coconut oil, a medium-chain fatty acid, is best for vegetarians and vegans; monounsaturates are great for you unless you cook with them; and polyunsaturates are putting you on thin ice indeed if you heat them up.

>> The best fats of all are the ones still inside their natural casings -- like whole sunflower or flax seeds, a nice ear of corn or a handful of peanuts.

>> Trans fats -- fats damaged by hydrogenation -- are horrible for you. Avoid them as you would a rabid dog.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 AM

12 posts, read 18,769 times
Hey thanx to all for this revelant info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food