Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

We used to have to take salt tablets when we were kids in summer camps, on particularly humid, hot days. This was a structured camp with emphasis on physical activity - we had swimming races/instruction plus boating plus trampoline plus hiking every day, plus football, baseball, basketball, tennis, volleyball several times per week.

Prior to taking salt tablets on those mornings, kids would sometimes feel sick - headaches, dizziness, and a couple of times, kids even passed out. The salt tablets prevented most of this, while still allowing them to participate in the sports.

Taking a salt tablet on some average ordinary moderate-temperature day would be pointless and even dangerous. But on days when you're sweating out more than your body is able to process efficiently, the salt helps.

I totally would not only not avoid salt during hot, humid weather, I'd increase it during those times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I agree Anon - it gets very hot and humid where we live - my husband and I still will climb steep hills and go for bike rides when it is hot and humid....I will work in the garden on those days too - I sweat - I mean I really sweat on those hot humid days...but it somehow feels great...although I look like c r a p. On those days I say pass the salt please.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Using salt to season food is something I won't do, there is plenty of salt in packaged foods already. I use it to cook with when it is called for and I don't shake salt on any foods I eat. I used ginger to wean myself off of salt. When it is hot I try to maintain access to plenty of water to drink.

It really varies from one person to the next on monitoring your salt intake and retention. I would read lables for a while to see how much you are getting before swearing off of it. If you are already having health issues due to too much salt, I would look for it in your diet and cut back on the drect source.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Using salt to season food is something I won't do, there is plenty of salt in packaged foods already. I use it to cook with when it is called for and I don't shake salt on any foods I eat. I used ginger to wean myself off of salt. When it is hot I try to maintain access to plenty of water to drink.

It really varies from one person to the next on monitoring your salt intake and retention. I would read lables for a while to see how much you are getting before swearing off of it. If you are already having health issues due to too much salt, I would look for it in your diet and cut back on the drect source.
Yes, most packaged foods are high in sodium but some of us use almost no packaged foods. I am one of them, so we do have a salt shaker on the table. Do we use as much salt as we did years ago? Nope, we just automatically have cut back. As for salt during summer, yes, for those of us who spend time outside it is very important to drink huge amounts of liquids (wine if you want) and increase the salt, cause we do sweat a lot. Let me mention, getting dehydrated isn't fun.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM

I use very very little packaged foods - we eat whole foods. What a bland boring meal it would be without salt. We also have cut back on salt - we use quite a few saltless herb blends. Giving up salt completely (unless advised to do so by your doctor) is silly (and don't forget boring and bland).

Ginger instead of salt? That must be a big hit on spaghetti night.

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-23-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,563,867 times
Yesterday I went outdoor and hiked some 20 km and on relatively warm weather and I feelt much more confortably which confirmed my theory, that salt added unaturally in food is the cause of discomfort during physical effort or hot temperature, not only because of the salty sweat but mostly because it creates a sort of pain in flesh. You know, like when you pour salt on a open wound.

I just wait to climb some mountains now, knowing that I won't experience anymore the nuisance that was ruining my trips (and everybody's else), making me say I won't go to mountains again.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Yesterday I went outdoor and hiked some 20 km and on relatively warm weather and I feelt much more confortably which confirmed my theory, that salt added unaturally in food is the cause of discomfort during physical effort or hot temperature, not only because of the salty sweat but mostly because it creates a sort of pain in flesh. You know, like when you pour salt on a open wound.

I just wait to climb some mountains now, knowing that I won't experience anymore the nuisance that was ruining my trips (and everybody's else), making me say I won't go to mountains again.
You are joking right? Nothing you stated makes any sense whatsoever......completely illogical. Have you ever heard of the term "heat exhaustion"? Heat exhaustion ( which in it's severest form can cause death) is caused from salt depletion which can occur when vigorously exercising in the heat.

http://voices.yahoo.com/should-take-...e-6228910.html

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00319

Last edited by Cattknap; 05-26-2013 at 03:38 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 04:42 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,563,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You are joking right? Nothing you stated makes any sense whatsoever......completely illogical. Have you ever heard of the term "heat exhaustion"? Heat exhaustion ( which in it's severest form can cause death) is caused from salt depletion which can occur when vigorously exercising in the heat.

Should You Take Salt Tablets when Exercising in the Heat? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Heat Injury and Heat Exhaustion-OrthoInfo - AAOS
I'm simply taking about how I'm feeling.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:55 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Well, there is natural sodium in foods and then there is added salt -- which in itself tends to have more than a few additives. Foods that taste salty on their own -- like some of the seaweeds and celery, for example -- have a bit of sodium and will help keep your system balanced. Salt is a NECESSARY nutrient, but you can't throw it on with a trowel. Some people will benefit from less salt, others from adding some salt.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I can see how outside activities can be enhanced by not having too much salt in the body.Too much salt will raise your blood presure and make your organs spongy and not function well. We need to pay attention to all of the electrolytes in our bodies and not just salt when we are doing outside activities.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 05-27-2013 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food