Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:47 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,562,375 times

Advertisements

Myself, I "always" wanted to become one, intuitively thinking is healthy. First I renounced meat and eggs in 1998, after feeling sick at some moment after their consumption.

And in 2003 I renounced dairies, sugar, oil.

In few weeks after the each renouncement, I started to feel much better. After renouncing meat, I haven't meet the hunger sensation anymore, that is, without food I may feel weak but had not that unpleasantful sensation that I have to eat something immediately.

And after renouncing dairies and the others, in some 2 months most of toxines were drained out, I got more energy, physical and mental well-being. I didn't have any depression since then, although this was not biologically caused but psychologically. Also, I didn't have any disease except cold, which passed without any medication.

Some months ago I started to see veganism as a moral choice, giving the fact that killing animals or exploiting it is something unjust and cruel, the superior animals having physical feelings, sentiments and rudiments of intelligence just like humans.

How about you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 02:43 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
No meat, no eggs, no dairy, no sugar (way too vague), no oil (really? no oil at all?), no salt (you stated you "renounced" salt in another thread) - that's a tough diet to thrive on. I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I do cook vegan and vegetarian meals and I'm not sure I could create anything palatable with those requirements.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:52 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,562,375 times
Is not a diet (except the salt), is what I like. Meat, sugar, dairy, oil etc all are provoking me nausea and also they're unhealthy.

I usually eat the same thing every day, in summers tomatoes with bread and fruits and in rest of the year boiled potatoes, tomato juice ad few other boiled vegetables.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,054 times
I'm vegan and to be honest I didn't feel all that much different after ditching meat, dairy and eggs. I lost about 4 pounds after ditching cheese as I used to eat a lot of it. I don't think I would thrive on your diet. I need more fat than that so I have avocados pretty often and I cook with olive oil. I also don't get satiated unless I have some kind of legume or tofu during the day. I need some concentrated sources of protein to feel full. I hope you're taking iron/B12 supplements because none of the foods you listed are all that iron rich and vegans need to supplement with vitamin B12.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
I'd like to be a vegetarian, but I don't think I can make the leap to vegan.

I do feel, uh, "fresher" and "cleaner" when I go a few days without meat or grease.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I eat mostly a plant based diet but have now included in my diet 4 ounces non-fat Greek plan yogurt 3 times a week and 3 ounces of salmon once a week...other than that I eat no animal products.

I don't consider myself "vegan" although I do respect animals and don't believe in unnecessarily killing them. I wear leather, would have no problem eating honey (although I don't do that anymore), have no problem with other people eating animals (their choice).

Not eating any sugar (other than what is naturally found in foods) has made a huge difference in the way I feel and my weight loss...It is hard for me to separate feeling so well from the whole foods/plant based diet I eat and the nearly 75 lbs. I have lost......I feel so light and have so much energy, less aches and pains, etc. I feel sooo much better - probably a combination of the two factors - healthy eating, losing weight.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,464 times
I attempt a plant based diet quite often, but I find myself feeling deprived. I know they say the cravings (cheese for me) will go away, but it just doesn't happen quick enough. I then fall off the wagon, so to speak.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I attempt a plant based diet quite often, but I find myself feeling deprived. I know they say the cravings (cheese for me) will go away, but it just doesn't happen quick enough. I then fall off the wagon, so to speak.
If I were you, I would eat a plant based diet and include cheese (in moderation) whenever I felt a craving.....better than falling off the wagon completely.......stay on the wagon and have some cheese once in a while. (Good cheese is the one thing I miss....and I thought it would be sweets but no).

Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 AM

302 posts, read 499,409 times
I am slowly going vegan. We found that my IBS was actually an allergy to dairy. there's half the battle right there. I am also developing a sensitivity to meats, more the texture than anything.

I have learned to make seitan. I have shopped around and found a vegan cheese that I adore and love and use it sparingly due to the fat content. We no longer have many processed foods in the house and I don't eat any of them.

Since moving into this realm, I am slowly dropping the weight, hubby's coronary artery disease cleared up and is off the medicine, daughter's IBS cleared up, Son's asthma and IBS cleared up, and mother's dementia and cirrhosis have both slowed in progression. We are all healthier for it. I also do not have to deal much with the issues from menopause. (sorry for the TMI) Also, when I can really stick with it, some of the symptoms for my fibromyalgia are eased, so that I have less pain.

Daughter does not like beans, quinoa or brown rice. Hubby has no teeth and so I have to either overcook his veggies, or chop them finely in a food chopper. Also, I have not found a way of cooking tofu that my stomach can tolerate and welcome ideas or point me in a direction to find them.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I don't consider myself "vegan" although I do respect animals and don't believe in unnecessarily killing them. I wear leather, would have no problem eating honey (although I don't do that anymore), have no problem with other people eating animals (their choice).
I would hope not, if you're eating yogurt and salmon....not only are you not vegan...you're not vegetarian.

You don't believe in unnecessarily killing animals, but you wear leather. Do you view leather as essential to life on this planet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food