U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 PM
 
5,342 posts, read 9,371,638 times
Reputation: 9746

Advertisements

Meijer now carries Fantastic Foods, including the original nature's burger veggie burger, sloppy joes, taco filling, falafel mix, hummus mix, tofu scrambler, instant black beans, instant refried beans and vegetarian chili mix. I haven't tried the tabouli or the couscous yet but all the products I have tried are excellent.

I use the falafel mix to make a falafel "pie" by preparing the mix and spreading it in a baking dish. I bake it and then pile sliced tomatoes, red onions, fresh dill and cucumber sauce on top. Vegan and delicious!

Prices are very reasonable! Much cheaper than ordering from Amazon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,250 posts, read 41,524,163 times
Reputation: 20198
I've bought a few of their things, some were pretty yummy. They had a split pea soup I tried that I remember in particular. Most of their instant soups were *way* too salty though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 PM
 
3,871 posts, read 1,775,969 times
Reputation: 10467
I don't mind the way their stuff tastes, but prefer to make my own. I think Amy's may be more whole foods. For example, their veggie chili has beans in it. With FF, the first ingredient in their chili is soy flour!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2013, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Prospect, KY
5,284 posts, read 19,494,200 times
Reputation: 6651
Processed foods all....I stay away from anything like this although my husband eats meatless sausages and chicken....which is soy and gluten.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2013, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 14,266,010 times
Reputation: 3544
I was surprised to see my local Wal-Mart carrying Gardein products. 6 months after I made the request is better than nothing I guess. I've since cut down my Gardein intake.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2013, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Warren, OH
2,745 posts, read 4,005,327 times
Reputation: 6503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I was surprised to see my local Wal-Mart carrying Gardein products. 6 months after I made the request is better than nothing I guess. I've since cut down my Gardein intake.
Since I am an ethical vegetarian this is good news. I have noticed the same.

When WALMART sells something it's become normal.

Almost all colleges and universities offer a vegetarian option.

Meat eating is just "Out of style" it seems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,250 posts, read 41,524,163 times
Reputation: 20198
No, when Walmart sells something, it's because they've realized they can capitalize on an inexpensive, often-cheaply-made trend.

Meat eating is not out of style, it isn't in style either. It's simply one of many foods that omnivores eat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 PM
 
5,342 posts, read 9,371,638 times
Reputation: 9746
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Since I am an ethical vegetarian this is good news. I have noticed the same.

When WALMART sells something it's become normal.

Almost all colleges and universities offer a vegetarian option.

Meat eating is just "Out of style" it seems.
It is a fact that per capita meat consumption is down, especially red meat. People are getting the message that too much red meat isn't good for your health.

Others are learning about factory farming methods and eliminating meat from their diet out of compassion.

Veg*n products are becoming much more popular. Even ten years ago I couldn't find more than one bread of veggie burgers in grocery stores. Now all kinds of veg*n burgers, entrees, nuggets, grounds, and other products in many different brands at all the grocery stores. I never would have dreamed that Walmart would carry veg*n products.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: somewhere flat
1,374 posts, read 1,546,648 times
Reputation: 4118
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Meijer now carries Fantastic Foods, including the original nature's burger veggie burger, sloppy joes, taco filling, falafel mix, hummus mix, tofu scrambler, instant black beans, instant refried beans and vegetarian chili mix. I haven't tried the tabouli or the couscous yet but all the products I have tried are excellent.

I use the falafel mix to make a falafel "pie" by preparing the mix and spreading it in a baking dish. I bake it and then pile sliced tomatoes, red onions, fresh dill and cucumber sauce on top. Vegan and delicious!

Prices are very reasonable! Much cheaper than ordering from Amazon.

Glad that you can get these products. Fantastic Foods are always in my pantry. They are aptly named.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM
 
Location: somewhere flat
1,374 posts, read 1,546,648 times
Reputation: 4118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, when Walmart sells something, it's because they've realized they can capitalize on an inexpensive, often-cheaply-made trend.

Meat eating is not out of style, it isn't in style either. It's simply one of many foods that omnivores eat.

Fewer and fewer people are eating meat. Veganism and vegetarianism are becoming trendy.
And compassion never goes out of style.

Walmart is a barometer to some degree, of how accepted certain foods have become to"average" or people.

I live in middle America and Hummus, Gardien, Morningstar, quinoia, tofu, and a variety of foods that 20 years ago were a little unusual, are readily available at my local Walmart.

I'm no great lover of Walmart, but it does serve as an interesting social barometer of what people are eating. Average people.

Vegetarian fare is offered every night at most colleges and universities, with some having "vegan only" dining halls. So, since only 30% of Americans graduate from college, the trend to live and eat compassionately it also growing in more up-market circles.

Going out to "micky D's" isn't so popular with HS or college students as it was in say, the 1980s. Try finding a trendy girl on a monied college campus wearing fur. Go on, give it a shot.

Like it or not, eating less meat or no meat are the way of the future.

Walmart is in the business of making money and what they sell is what the average Joe and Jane want. Apparently, they want Fantastic Foods and Tofu Hot Dogs.

Not eating meat as a US trend? - I'm LOVIN' IT!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:30 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top