Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times

Advertisements

I would prefer the potato salad over the coleslaw, but that's just a personal preference on my end -- I think it all sounds great. Some people might have an aversion to the mock meatballs, but you're right, inevitably others will want to try the dish and will like it so you might as well have extra to make sure you eat enough.

I love the idea of making little "tents" with ingredient information -- not just for your dishes, but in general. Allergies seem to be SO prevalent today that I'd imagine the little cards would make it much easier.

(Oh, but for the record? I'd be THRILLED if someone brought hummus and tabbouleh to my party. Thrilled!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:45 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
I would prefer the potato salad over the coleslaw, but that's just a personal preference on my end -- I think it all sounds great. Some people might have an aversion to the mock meatballs, but you're right, inevitably others will want to try the dish and will like it so you might as well have extra to make sure you eat enough.

I love the idea of making little "tents" with ingredient information -- not just for your dishes, but in general. Allergies seem to be SO prevalent today that I'd imagine the little cards would make it much easier.

(Oh, but for the record? I'd be THRILLED if someone brought hummus and tabbouleh to my party. Thrilled!)

I'd be thrilled too! We eat that about twice a month. One of our favorite meals.

Spoke to the hostess and she really wants coleslaw. It's a potato salad, coleslaw, macaroni salad (as opposed to "Pasta Salad") crowd. Very down home American.

They are excited about the veggie meat balls so I think I'll double it. Many of the men was to reduce their intake of red meat for health reasons.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

Firstly, its pretty easy to tell the difference between mock meats and real meats. But...not everyone appreciates being tricked and some people have aversions to the ingredients in mock meats.
Christ on a cracker.

When I eat at a pot luck I have NO idea what some of the casseroles are, no one is being tricked.

Your menu sounds great! Don't over think it too much, you can never tell what people may or may not like.

I'm definitely an omnivore, but I really can't see what about meatless meals gets some people's panties in a bunch. I really don't understand "meat and potatoes" type of people. You bring tabouli or hummus to any of our gatherings and no one would bat an eyelash, and they would all be fighting to make sure they get some for themselves.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Christ on a cracker.

When I eat at a pot luck I have NO idea what some of the casseroles are, no one is being tricked.

Your menu sounds great! Don't over think it too much, you can never tell what people may or may not like.

I'm definitely an omnivore, but I really can't see what about meatless meals gets some people's panties in a bunch. I really don't understand "meat and potatoes" type of people. You bring tabouli or hummus to any of our gatherings and no one would bat an eyelash, and they would all be fighting to make sure they get some for themselves.

Thank you for the voice of sanity and reason.

My intention was never to trick any one. Just to get some opinions about a meal.
So I use veggie meat substitutes - many vegetarians do. I'm tired of being lectured.
Everyone is excited about trying the food. Thanks to those who were helpful, and I'll report back after the potluck to tell you all how it went!

~Sheena12

Old 07-05-2013, 12:51 PM

The party was a lot of fun! The hostess made a delicious broccoli salad with sunflower seeds and almonds. One version with bacon and one without - for us.

They all made a big deal about ceremoniously trying the barbecued veggie balls. The verdict is in. Of the nine people there, two didn't "care for them" but loved the sauce.
Five said they liked them and wouldn't have known the difference had we not said anything. Two said that they have cholesterol problems, (or their spouses do) and want the recipe!

A few said they want to have a "meatless Monday" and one added "hell, I could eat like this seven days a week!"

So I'd say it was a qualified success!

Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So I'd say it was a qualified success!
Excellent!

I hope the next time is less stressful for you.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:47 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Excellent, Sheena. Sounds like a good time...and you introduced some people to good vegan cooking. Of the two who didn't like it, they may have not liked regular meatballs as well---everyone has their own take on what they should be like.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Sounds like a plan, Sheena. And you're right: Many omnivores will try anything that looks tasty that they also know they are not allergic to.

That is a great idea! I can see how it might catch on, too. It's a classy touch, and I could see other guests and future hosts wanting to be seen as that considerate. In fact, Sheena, if you do this, I would let the host know. It could give her an opportunity to ask the other guests to do the same. You can always couch it in terms of allergy awareness or clarity so she doesn't think you're trying to push an agenda. Maybe just say, "I was thinking of making tent cards with the recipe so people don't get mixed up with the meatballs. Would that be okay?"

I wish my SO didn't have to work on the holiday this year. I am dying to make a huge batch of this stuff for just such an occasion:

Mexican Bean Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com
I like the idea of labels. Not because someone would try to "trick me" with mock food, but I don't eat mammals. I work with a lot of immigrants and our ethnic pot lucks are varied and unique. One never knows WHAT the hell they're eating. I've helped myself to tiny little dumplings that I've had before, only to find that this time, they contain veal instead of mushroms. Then I have to walk around looking fo a place to spit it out.
I've had some really good soy-based burgers and NOTHING can beat falafel.
The food the OP presented sounded really good to me.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Quite possibly we will be the only food conscious people there. We will be the only people who do not eat meat.

Asked to take a salad and a desert. They are providing the meat.Of course. So we take salads sides and deserts. Sides are our mains.

So...I don't want to be very different at this particular party. Just blend in.

Even the salads and sides could have meat. So, I've decided to take -

barbecued vegen meat balls

vegan coleslaw

and blue berry cobbler. vegan.

Taking more of the meat balls than for us because they will look good, and I've learned that omnivores eat meat any anything else.

What do you think? Will this fit in?
the cold slaw should be fine, depending on what kind of dressing you are using and certainly the cobbler, but I would not have included the vegan meat balls. I don't know what you ended up doing (I will read the rest of the thread) but I think the meat balls would not help you blend in. I am also a little confused, I thought you were a vegetarian not a vegan? If this is the case, why would you have not taken basic cold slaw? I will add just one more thing and this isn't meant to be taken as a criticism, but more our of curiosity: why do you say you are the only food conscious people attending? Are you saying only those who choose a vegan or vegetarian diet are conscious of what they eat?

ok, I have now read the entire thread: I am glad it worked out: I still have to say, I would not have done the meatless meatballs, but as long as it worked, good for you.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-06-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Whoa... read the OP post again!

She was asked to bring a salad and dessert, and she's bringing coleslaw and a blueberry cobbler... that totally fits in for a 4th of July potluck.

Then in addition she is bringing vegan meatballs for herself and her family, so they have a main dish to eat, and she's bringing extra because she knows others will want to try it. I've found that's always the case, because people are curious. So if you don't make extra, you wind up with not enough for yourself.

What I have long done*, since whatever I bring invariably raises questions... what can I say, I'm very creative... is to make little tent cards for my dishes that says what they are, and what the ingredients are. That helps people to decide whether or not to try them. And since so many people have food allergies and various foods they avoid for one reason or another, I think it would be smart if everyone started doing the same for potlucks.

*I just remembered, after I typed that, I started doing this 20 years ago, when I lived in Seattle, and for a long time I participated in a monthly community potluck that was so diverse in people's various wants and needs that everyone was asked to make such a card for each dish they brought. It worked well, and the habit stuck. I recommend it.
Maybe you should read it again as well: she said she just wants to fit in; bring vegan meat balls, regardless as why isn't going to help her blend in. I know people who are vegetarians; they would never bring their own meatless dishes. They would simply eat what was served minus the meat. This goes for people with allergies or people on any type of restrictive diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food