Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Well said, Sheena! And yes, while people genuinely interested in a plant-based diet are welcome here, even if they haven't totally given up on animal products/meat, it's the people who just come here to disdain our beliefs (and yes, it isn't just a diet---it's a belief system) who are causing the problem.

To get back to the OP, I'd rather see carnivores/omnivores have at least one meatless day than none. And this could work to convince people that they are not going to pass out from lack of animal protein for the day (I've had experiences where a non-vegan comes to one of my vegan Meetups and wants it to be a Meat-Up, claiming they need animal protein at every meal!).

I'm just happy that every day is a meatless day for me! And I eat much more than just carrots!
I'm a harm reductionist. So while not perfect - less meat is better.

The popularity of "Meatless Monday" has drawn more attention to the vegetarian lifestyle.

That can't be a bad thing!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Encouraging article from New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/us...less.html?_r=0
This is only viewed as a 'positive' thing because it operates under false assumptions. Namely, the assumption that all meat eaters eat meat every day with every meal and it is always the main dish.

I eat meat, but it's not something that I have with every meal. In fact, there are some days when I don't eat it at all. There are more vegetables, fruits, grains, etc., in my diet than meat.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:02 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
No one thinks that all meat eaters "eat meat every day all with every meal".

Some do though. They are a dying breed. Most people who eat meat in the 21st century do so at least once a day. They may skip a day once in a while - but not intentionally.

"Meatless Monday" is intentional. A day that meat eaters abstain from meat because it isn't good for one's health. Because it's bad for the planet. Or because it's cruel.

I wish that there was more information about these issues available to mainstream meat eaters in the many commercial outlets that push "Meatless Mondays". Possibly more real change would come about if the facts were not suppressed by economic interests. The same women's magazines that promote Meatless Mondays" also accept advertisements from the meat industry.

Getting graphic might pose a conflict of interest.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:25 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
My mom has told me numerous times that I inspire her with my "healthy" eating. I put it in quotes because she sees veganism as healthy. She admires the amounts of fruits and vegetables I eat.

She has told me that she has cut back on how much meat she eats, which I think is a good thing. Maybe she participates in Meatless Monday or has some days where she doesn't eat meat. I highly doubt it, but I remember reading that meat consumption has been dropping in the United States over the last few years.

I agree with Sheena12 in that being more graphic will help wake more people up. Wouldn't it be nice if meat had a warning label, similar to cigarettes? PCRM | Nearly Half of Supermarket Chicken Tainted by Feces, Testing Finds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food