U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 AM
 
5,342 posts, read 8,979,253 times
Reputation: 9712

Advertisements

Encouraging article from New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/us...less.html?_r=0

Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,805 posts, read 94,694,665 times
Reputation: 48975
I don't think this is much of a surprise. Most of us, even those who love their meat and would rather die than give it up, enjoy meatless meals once in awhile, some use one particular day a week, others have a different method, but they do it somehow. I know we have been eating meatless pasta sauce, vegetarian enchiladas, chili beans, veggie soups, veggie manacoti, (spelling) lasagna and other meatless dishes for probably 20 years. Now, vegan dishes, that is a totally different story and I doubt that will really catch on anytime soon.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM
 
19,481 posts, read 26,887,878 times
Reputation: 37970
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think this is much of a surprise. Most of us, even those who love their meat and would rather die than give it up, enjoy meatless meals once in awhile, some use one particular day a week, others have a different method, but they do it somehow. I know we have been eating meatless pasta sauce, vegetarian enchiladas, chili beans, veggie soups, veggie manacoti, (spelling) lasagna and other meatless dishes for probably 20 years. Now, vegan dishes, that is a totally different story and I doubt that will really catch on anytime soon.
i dont have an issue with have a meatless monday,

so, if vegans are pushing a meatless monday, its one day, we try something different- being open minded, i will try this,,

are the vegans going to designate a day to be a carnivore?? will they exercise the same open-mindedness,(to change food selections for one day) they are promoting to everyone else????

im in the grocery business, and maybe i'll start advertising for "meatless" mondays... this will help the cause, and i'm willing to be open minded.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 PM
 
3,716 posts, read 1,471,329 times
Reputation: 9857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i dont have an issue with have a meatless monday,

so, if vegans are pushing a meatless monday, its one day, we try something different- being open minded, i will try this,,

are the vegans going to designate a day to be a carnivore?? will they exercise the same open-mindedness,(to change food selections for one day) they are promoting to everyone else????

im in the grocery business, and maybe i'll start advertising for "meatless" mondays... this will help the cause, and i'm willing to be open minded.
Once again, is there a moderator in the house?

But on the off chance you were being serious, no, vegans are not going to designate a day to be a carnivore so that they can be perceived as being "open-minded." The reason why is because that would require that an animal be raised inhumanely and slaughtered. And we prefer to not clog up our arteries and inflame our bodies. And most of us used to eat meat, so it wouldn't be trying something new/different. We already know that we eating the flesh of dead animals has no appeal.

Last edited by Beretta; 09-01-2013 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: jazzcat, a moderator is only a click away if you click on the Report Post Button, thank you
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Alaska
5,193 posts, read 5,124,681 times
Reputation: 7643
Hopefully, after an explanation of why vegetarians do not need a meat day has turned on a light bulb. Sometimes people post things without really considering what they are writing/saying.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
37,746 posts, read 67,376,319 times
Reputation: 61176
Humans are not "carnivores". Cats are carnivores; they must eat meat to survive. Humans are omnivores.

That being said, there are plenty of days when this omnivore does not eat meat; however, I am not a slave to the calendar, no matter what the New York Times says.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
 
7,358 posts, read 10,579,686 times
Reputation: 8887
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think this is much of a surprise. Most of us, even those who love their meat and would rather die than give it up, enjoy meatless meals once in awhile, some use one particular day a week, others have a different method, but they do it somehow. I know we have been eating meatless pasta sauce, vegetarian enchiladas, chili beans, veggie soups, veggie manacoti, (spelling) lasagna and other meatless dishes for probably 20 years. Now, vegan dishes, that is a totally different story and I doubt that will really catch on anytime soon.
Why wouldn't they? Why is it someone says "vegan" but everyone seems to hear "rat poison"? A garden salad is vegan. A bean burrito is vegan. A baked potato filled with beany chili is vegan. Cabbage soup is vegan. Iced tea is vegan. Pasta marinara is vegan. Baked squash stuffed with rice pilaf or apples and cranberries is vegan. Do those foods sound so horrible?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-16-2013, 12:44 PM
 
1,511 posts, read 1,775,461 times
Reputation: 3438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Why wouldn't they? Why is it someone says "vegan" but everyone seems to hear "rat poison"? A garden salad is vegan. A bean burrito is vegan. A baked potato filled with beany chili is vegan. Cabbage soup is vegan. Iced tea is vegan. Pasta marinara is vegan. Baked squash stuffed with rice pilaf or apples and cranberries is vegan. Do those foods sound so horrible?
As are (in their basic forms), gazpacho, spaghetti aglio e olio, hummous and pita, dolmades, pizza marinara, baba ghanoush, a fruit salad, guacamole, tabbouleh, and...

Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM
 
7,358 posts, read 10,579,686 times
Reputation: 8887
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
As are (in their basic forms), gazpacho, spaghetti aglio e olio, hummous and pita, dolmades, pizza marinara, baba ghanoush, a fruit salad, guacamole, tabbouleh, and...

And about half a zillion other meatless, eggless, dairyless foods.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,442 posts, read 12,989,001 times
Reputation: 28350
I don't mind meatless meals - actually, I'm quite fond of meatless meals. However, I'm not a vegetarian. I'll gladly eat healthy meatless meals but I just don't have a problem with eating meat. And, of course, I don't have a problem with veg*ns until they start judging others based on diet. Life is tough enough without someone judging you based on what you eat.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top