Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:27 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Tofurkey? Is that a product you buy or something you made from scratch??

Oh your meal sounds good!

Both Field Roast/Celebration Roast and Tofukey are commercially prepared plant based roasts that many vegans and vegetarians enjoy on the holidays.

Tofurkey was the first and my children - born in the mid 90s - grew up with the stuff, as did many vegetarian kids of that era. I'd call them an "acquired taste." Both of them. But having acquired it, I do like them both.

However, I don't crave it the way my teens do.

Field Roast is a relative new comer to the vegetarian holiday table. It's a bit more sophisticated in it's flavor.

Neither really taste anything like turkey.

You would need to try them yourself.

Tofukey does make a product that does approximate turkey. Turkey Deli slices. Very good on sandwiches.

That is the only prepared item on my table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 01:31 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
I would never refuse real beer and wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats the way my brother in law does it, a big squash and as its a special occasion he'll serve up some beer de-alcoholized of course grape juice replaces wine...Problem arises when we reciprocate by inviting his family for Christmas dinner where we do real turkey with real beer and wine.. they never seem to accept our offer to join us..

Old 11-19-2013, 01:33 PM

That is what I thought....though some might enjoy, I haven't ever gotten to like tofu in any form except silken to put in pies/smoothies. Have this odd thing that "fake" meat seems just that....I just eat fresh veggies and grains and fruit.

quote=Cliffie;32294797]Tofurkey is a pre-made, store-bought soy turkey. Opinions vary wildly as to whether they are tasty or a major gross-out. I for one have never tried one.

Does anyone use wheat meat/seitan at the holidays? I have tried to make it but the process defeated me.[/quote]

Old 11-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Boo hoo...I have never had such an awesome sounding T meal. Love BB soup but never thought of it with PUMPKIN!

Fig/rosemary tarts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
That's going to be my main dish, except with an herbed quinoa, shiitake and cranberry stuffing. I'm also going to make creamy pumpkin and black bean soup, roasted vegetables (sweet potatoes, turnip, rutabaga, carrots, kabocha squash, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus) topped with baked pesto mashed potatoes, my grandma's orange-cranberry relish, whole wheat rolls, pumpkin pie and fig & rosemary tarts. I've been experimenting with pumpkin pie recipes and I think I've finally come up with one that I really like. I also made a pumpkin hot chocolate with almond milk and dark chocolate this morning and it was divine, so I think I'll make a big pot of that.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:13 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,472 times
Quote:
Love all those roasted veggies....my favorite way of cooking them.

What is a Field Roast/Celebration Roast???
Field Roast is Seattle-bases a company that makes (very good) vegetable/seitan-based lunch meats, sausages, etc.

A Celebration Roast is a seasonal offering from them that's basically a big hunk of herb-ed seitan, with stuffing in the middle, wrapped in a puff pastry. It's kind of a sodium bomb, and generally probably not the healtheist nor the cheapest thing ever, but once a year, hey, what the heck.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Does anyone use wheat meat/seitan at the holidays? I have tried to make it but the process defeated me.
I make seitan quite a bit, year round. Initially I had mixed results but I finally found a recipe I loved: the steamed seitan recopies in Terry Hope Romero's Viva Vegan. I suggest buying the whole book (it's great) but you might be able to fine the recipe alone with a search.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Everything sounds so good! Especially the kale apple beet salad - what type of dressing do you use? And the coconut milk sweet potatoes.

We like roasted Brussels Sprouts on holidays too. We love the mellow nutty taste.
Yeah, Brussels sprouts are one of those things that the wrong preperation can really ruin for you as a kid, but done right they are so wonderful. (see also: broccoli, eggplant)

I don't know what I'll dress the salad with yet. Cranberry vinaigrette? Maybe something with a balsamic reduction in it?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:22 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
We're making this, this year: Vegetarian Portobello Wellingtons | Delicious Dishes Recipes ... along with many of our families' traditional side dishes - stuffing, sweet potato casserole, etc., and an array of my spouse's family's traditional desserts - pecan pie, most notably. We were nervous about it, since this is the first Thanksgiving since we became vegetarians five years ago that we're having guests (we're inviting those members of our church who have no family to share the holiday with), but so far those joining us seem quite interested in sharing our vegetarian Thanksgiving.
Oh Yum! That sounds and looks delicious.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
I would never refuse real beer and wine

Nor would I! Being vegetarian is not correlated at all to teetotalism.

What ever reason those people abstain from drinking has nothing to do with their chosen diet.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:08 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,069 times
Quote:
Vegetarians/vegans:

What will be your special "main dish" for the Thanksgiving table???

Or do you have multiple "side dishes" for the meal???

No thanksgiving for us. We are thankful every day. Not sure how we got caught up in this media driven day??

I just love my collard green wraps. And my kale salad. It will just be another day of thanks. Easy peezy. No title to it. No Native Americans, etc.

I might bust out some nice dishes, tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food