Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 05:56 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,275,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have multiple side dishes and a main dish. This year we are hosting some non veg*n guests so I'm also making something for them.

I'm serving 2 Tofurkey roasts - one baked in the oven and the other cooked in the crock pot with a cranberry sweet and sour glaze. The other entree is eggplant parm.

Sides include string beans almondine, mashed Yukon gold potatoes, savory chili roasted sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, mashed turnips, green salad, stuffing and home made cranberry sauce with Cointreau.

Yes I make a lot! My family like to try a bit of this and a bit of that. We also adore left overs.
If others also cook Tofurkey, it must be good. My first is in the crock pot. A new experience for me. Mostly I use Amy's but a worker at Whole Foods suggested I try the Tofurkey. I was hesitant at first because my one effort to cook with tofu was a drastic failure. Fingers crossed on this. Vegetables? Anything Margaret Holmes makes (plus yams, my favorite vegetable) . I know - it's canned but Margaret Holmes is a far better cook than I with all that good southern seasoning. And I have only myself to feed. So, I keep it light and easy. Margaret Holmes even has collard greens and mustard greens! Sorry. I'm rattling in anticipation. Carry on, everybody. Enjoy. Have a great Thanksgiving day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 12:07 AM

24,156 posts, read 32,656,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
If others also cook Tofurkey, it must be good. My first is in the crock pot. A new experience for me. Mostly I use Amy's but a worker at Whole Foods suggested I try the Tofurkey. I was hesitant at first because my one effort to cook with tofu was a drastic failure. Fingers crossed on this. Vegetables? Anything Margaret Holmes makes (plus yams, my favorite vegetable) . I know - it's canned but Margaret Holmes is a far better cook than I with all that good southern seasoning. And I have only myself to feed. So, I keep it light and easy. Margaret Holmes even has collard greens and mustard greens! Sorry. I'm rattling in anticipation. Carry on, everybody. Enjoy. Have a great Thanksgiving day.

How did it go? We loved our Crock Pot Tofurky! The cranberry glaze was really good! I'm hooked on this method of preparing Tofurky.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:46 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,275,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
How did it go? We loved our Crock Pot Tofurky! The cranberry glaze was really good! I'm hooked on this method of preparing Tofurky.
It went beautifully. At first - remember, this is the first time I've had it - it tasted "different". But after a few bites it was quite good. And that cranberry glaze was delicious, yes. Veggies? Collard greens - first of these I've seen in many a year - and yams.

Yesterday I had a second serving and it was even better. Only problem is that I now have a cake in the freezer that wants a home. I need to find someone to whom to give that. Can you buy the tofurky without the cake?

The final pleasant surprise was the low level of carbs, fats and calories. That was "dessert". This will become a steady diet here.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:24 PM

140 posts, read 170,410 times
Bumping for 2014!!

I cook a Tofurkey roast for the family (4 veg, 1 non).
I also cook mashed potatoes (a portion of it vegan, another portion with dairy).
We also make a green bean casserole, steamed kale, collard greens (tangy/vinegar recipe), fresh salads, sweet potato casserole, sauteed mushrooms, and roasted corn.

But mostly it is an event to visit with family and friends that we don't get to see much during the year - no media ruckus aside from watching the parade in the morning. Definitely no shopping on the day or the next. Just fun and relaxation.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:25 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,327,453 times
Big or small, vegetarian dishes worth Thanksgiving centerpiece status - The Washington Post

some recipes for a vegetarian thanksgiving (i like the purple cauliflower)

Old 11-22-2014, 05:30 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,887,192 times
This year Whole Foods has a store flyer that lists their many vegetarian and vegan main dishes, sides and desserts that are available.

Every year there are more veg*n foods available, not only at WF but also Kroger, Meijer and other area grocery stores.

I love the Celebration roast that comes complete with stuffing and gravy. I make vegetable broth mashed potatoes and wild mushroom gravy to serve also, along with some other special vegetables and sides.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:11 AM

84 posts, read 100,611 times
I'm keeping it fairly simple this year, making biscuits and mushroom gravy, garlic-herbed mashed potatoes, whipped yams, lemon-garlic green beans and kale ceviche salad. I'm not too big on the meat substitutes, like Tofurkey, for example.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,327,453 times
Which wine

here are some tips for wine for thanksgiving

Old 11-23-2014, 10:01 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,656,792 times
Tofurky is what my children were raised with. Been having it for twenty years. It's traditional in my house.

This year's menu will be the same as last year's. Everyone loved it. My daughter - a lacto ovo - wants to add popovers.

I think I want to have a butternut squash soup first. And I'm adding a grits soufle, the recipe was given to me by city data member No Kudzu.

I make a vegan pumpkin pie.

Cosmos and apple cider - hard and soft.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:42 PM

584 posts, read 577,704 times
I'm keeping things simple with a big pan of lasagna. I'm going with a creamy white sauce, rather than the usual tomato sauce.

Two kinds of puff pastry bites: 1. chive almond/pine nut cheese with pear, fig and rosemary chutney 2. Almond Brie with curried raspberry, cranberry and blueberry chutney. I made a small test batch of each today and they were so good!

Creamy spiced pumpkin & black bean soup

Spinach, apple, pecan salad with cranberry vinaigrette

Roasted butternut squash & caramelized onion lasagna w/ cashew bechamel, crispy sage and toasted hazelnuts

Pumpkin pie, spiced pear & cranberry tarts, chocolate mousse cake w/ raspberry sauce

One of my guests will be experiencing his first vegan Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Susannah18; 11-25-2014 at 09:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food