Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,872,377 times

Advertisements

My daughter, who is vegan, just bought a crock pot. I told her I know a lot of people make oatmeal in crockpots, but she's looking for dinner recipes. As all the crockpot recipes I have involve meat, I'm not much help to her!
Does anyone have dinner crockpot recipes I could share with her? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 06:39 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,220,895 times
So many good ones! I need to get my wife here.

Tofurky in a crock pot with cranberry sauce, soy sauce and onion soup mix.

That's some good stuff.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,733,050 times
google vegan crockpot recipes:
lentil soups
black bean soups
splitpea soups
northern bean soup
pinto beans
vegetable barley soup
etc.

I now even google my ingredients to get recipes!

Have fun!

Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 AM

23,951 posts, read 32,283,727 times
Here are three things that I make in the slow cooker. If any of them are of interest, let me know; I'd be happy to give you the recipes. They are rather involved.

1. Slow cooker vegetable curry. Made this yesterday. So good.

2. Southwestern style Black Bean Stuffed Peppers. Very satisfying.

3. Stuffed cabbage with sweet and sour tomato sauce.

The EASIEST thing that I prepare in the Crock Pot - (and NOT only for holidays) has to be Tofurky with a sweet and sour cranberry glaze.

Put one Tofurky roast into the crock pot with one envelope of French onion soup, 1/4 cup low sodium tamari sauce or soy sauce, and one can of cranberry sauce. I add a few shakes of pepper flakes and a clove of crushed garlic. It makes a nice, rich sweet and spicy sauce.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:58 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,719,308 times
SUPREME CABBAGE SOUP

1/2 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 c tomato sauce
1 12-oz can of beans of her choice, liquid and all
1 12-oz can corn, liquid and all
2 lg carrots, peeled and sliced
2 lg ribs of celery, scrubbed & sliced or finely chopped
2-3 Tbsps instant minced onion
1 small redskin potato scrubbed and diced (do not peel)
5 good shakes coarse black pepper
5 good shakes Italian seasoning blend of her choice
6 good shakes granulated garlic
32 oz carton Swanson vegetable broth

Add water if needed to bring soup to needed level of soupiness. Vegetable or mushroom bouillon optional. Cook on high 4 hours or low 8 hours.

You can substitute Brussels sprouts or broccoli for the cabbage.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM

BAKED SQUASH

Scrub, halve and seed as many acorn squashes -- or even smaller ones like Sweet Dumpling or those baby pumpkins -- as she can fit into the bottom of the slow cooker. She can also just halve a big old butternut squash and bake that. Fill the seed cavities with apples and walnuts, dried fruit and orange juice, chestnuts and croutons, or whatever else floats her boat. Bake 3-4 hours until knife tender.

She can also bake them 'naked' and fill them with the rice mixture of her choice.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:35 AM

She can bake her potatoes, yams, apples, pears, stuffed peppers, sunchokes or most other things that want baking in the slow cooker.

She can make applesauce by peeling and chopping apples, adding some water and a drop of lemon juice and the spices she likes, and walking away like it never happened.

A lot of people make tamale pie in the slow cooker -- a layer of cornmeal mush, then a layer of beany chili, then more cornmeal mush on top. A Recipe: http://msveggiemomma.wordpress.com/2...ot-tamale-pie/ (Just replace the chorizo with more beans, or use Morningstar Farms sausage crumbles.)

A lot of people roast vegetables in the slow cooker. Add teriyaki or sweet & sour sauce, or just a bay leaf for vegetable stew.

Last edited by Cliffie; 12-14-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Any pasta sauce, like marinara, is easy to make in the slow cooker.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,123,855 times
I'm not vegan but I love crock pot dal (lentil stew.) I've made this several times, it's very customizable and really good! May require a small investment in Indian spices but they keep for a long time and many Indian recipes are vegan by nature.

Crock Pot Dal in 4 hrs courtesy of Chef | User recipe | Foodnetwork.co.uk

I did have to cook the lentils for about two hours longer than suggested, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food