Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:29 AM

80 posts, read 70,294 times

Advertisements

I've just made my first batch of seitan...now what to do with it? I tried a piece on it's own, not too flavorful (easily fixed) but I'm loving the texture!! I was thinking maybe buffalo wings? What's your fave way to serve up seitan? Seems like it'd be really good as like a BBQ sandwich as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:21 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggirll View Post
I've just made my first batch of seitan...now what to do with it? I tried a piece on it's own, not too flavorful (easily fixed) but I'm loving the texture!! I was thinking maybe buffalo wings? What's your fave way to serve up seitan? Seems like it'd be really good as like a BBQ sandwich as well.
Ways I will prepare it:

-Pan fried in strips- for tacos or to make a vegan version of arroz con pollo Arroz con pollo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Breaded and pan fried for picatta-sytyle dishes: Seitan Piccata | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking

-Oven roasted with rosemary and other spices for a holiday-type dish

By the way, the best seitan recipe I've so far found is in Terry Hope Romero's Viva Vegan. It uses the technique of steaming the loaves while wrapped in foil. The ingredients and cooking technique result in a really nice flavor and texture.

Once, just for a fun indulgence, I made a version of Cordon Bleu mad with veggie ham and fake cheese. It was kind of ridiculous but I had fun eating it.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
We do bbq sandwiches (love!), and since I found it on clearance a while back and froze it, I've been putting it in my unchicken noodle soup (I usually put in baked tofu) and yesterday put it in my pot pie. Delicious both ways. My son received a Harry Potter cookbook a couple years ago and it has a recipe for mini meat pies. I made those with seitan, too, and now he begs for them.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 PM

263 posts, read 437,931 times
HAIL SEITAN!

I'm not good at fixing it myself, but when I'm lucky, I find it as (veggie) cheesesteak sandwiches.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:34 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
When I was a vegetarian, I cut it into strips for stir fry or just used veggie gravy and mashed potato for comfort food.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Shred it and mix with bbq sauce for a really good bbq sandwich.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Douse it in teriyaki or orange-sesame sauce, and serve it over noodles or rice. Mmmmmmmm.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 PM

251 posts, read 246,326 times
I've marinated it in various spices to make "corned beef" or "spicy sausage" flavored seitan. Shredding is great for making a philly (vegan)cheese steak type sandwich too. The Chicago Diner cookbook has a few great recipes for marinades, and other super tasty stuff!!

Getting the texture right on the buffalo wings has eluded me, the flavor is great, but the "wings" don't have that yummy crisp on them, they are just soft. Any ideas?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 AM

18 posts, read 20,412 times
I have only made about five batches so far. So proud of myself, I am starting to get really creative! I used to love Morningstar Farms products but am slowly giving them up now that I am converting from vegetarian to vegan. My grandson loves my seitan chick'n nuggets. I just made a great batch of seitan and turned it into two of the most beautiful big sausages I have ever seen! I froze one and am slicing on other to add to several dishes or as a great protein snack. I am going to try a meat loaf recipe next week.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Saute some onion, garlic and pepper in a deep skillet and then turn down the heat, add the seitan and slow cook it for a couple of hours with vinegar and Crystal (or your favorite) hot sauce and it comes out like deboned Buffalo chicken wings. Many of my carnivorous friends have commented that it was the best BBQ "chicken" they ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food