Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:21 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times

Advertisements

Peel the plantains, then soak them in water for about 10 minutes. Take them out, and drain them. Fry them in a little oil, then drain, and plate them. Sprinkle some sugar on them, and drizzle some Crème Mexicana all over them. That's the way I like them.

I had a neighbor that told me to try frying parsnips like potatoes. They are delicious.

Napolea are great if they are diced up, then sautéed a bit, then mixed in with scrambled eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I just had papaya the other day for the first time.....I thought it was a firm cantaloupe....I must say I liked it. I usually avoid cantaloupe because the porous outer skin doesn't keep bacteria out....and I heard they are often cooled in dirty water when picked to get the field sun heat off them. Papaya maybe my alternative.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I just had papaya the other day for the first time.....I thought it was a firm cantaloupe....I must say I liked it. I usually avoid cantaloupe because the porous outer skin doesn't keep bacteria out....and I heard they are often cooled in dirty water when picked to get the field sun heat off them. Papaya maybe my alternative.
Be certain to save the seeds to sprinkle on a salad. I usually make a salad the same time I am slicing a Papaya.

For eating Raw I prefer the small Hawaiian types for cooking green I prefer the big Mexican varieties.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Parsnips are not rare in my area, but almost nobody eats them! Many people have never heard of them and those that do appear terrified to venture in. They look like gigantic albino carrots but taste nothing like them -- raw, they are earthy-tasting with a strong, almost peppery aftertaste (and a carroty smell). Cooked, they are sweet as a dessert.

Parsnip delites:

Peel about 2 lbs parsnips (choose smallish ones if possible) and cut them into pieces as evenly-sized as you can make them. Roll them in either a beaten egg or a vegan egg -- I use 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 4 Tbsps water -- then dust them with whole-wheat cracker crumbs (for this many parsnips expect to crush about 1 sleeve of saltines), and line them up, NOT TOUCHING, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Put the biggest parsnip piece front and center on the cookie sheet and make sure that is the closest to the front when you slide the parsnips into a 375-degree oven. When the crumbs are browning and the biggest piece is paring-knife tender, about 15 to 20 minutes depending on your oven, They are ready to eat. Best hot from the oven or reheated in the oven -- not the microwave.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
This is a seriously good and easy recipe for parsnips - I've made it many times:

Pasta With Parsnips and Bacon - Recipes - The New York Times

And since this is the vegetarian forum, it is still seriously good without the bacon!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
This is a seriously good and easy recipe for parsnips - I've made it many times:

Pasta With Parsnips and Bacon - Recipes - The New York Times

And since this is the vegetarian forum, it is still seriously good without the bacon!
Hadn't ever thought of parsnips with pasta. Sounds tempting. Adding this to my need to try lis.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Plaintains are pretty common here in the New Haven CT area. I don't buy them, but I have had them. My favorite way was to slice length-wise and fry them with some butter and brown sugar. I sometimes do that now with bananas, as a treat.

Shallots - are an oddity. I don't know why people don't eat them more around here, they're awesome. Especially the french shallot, which is very hard to find here. But the common shallots are terrific as well. I use them to make shrimp scampi, and I sautee them with chicken, and sometimes even sautee a half teaspoon of fresh minced shallot for an omelet. (I'm not a vegetarian - but I'd use shallots in veggie dishes too, like sauteed vegetables. I usually eat my vegetables raw though).

Old 05-15-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Plaintains are pretty common here in the New Haven CT area. I don't buy them, but I have had them. My favorite way was to slice length-wise and fry them with some butter and brown sugar. I sometimes do that now with bananas, as a treat.

Shallots - are an oddity. I don't know why people don't eat them more around here, they're awesome. Especially the french shallot, which is very hard to find here. But the common shallots are terrific as well. I use them to make shrimp scampi, and I sautee them with chicken, and sometimes even sautee a half teaspoon of fresh minced shallot for an omelet. (I'm not a vegetarian - but I'd use shallots in veggie dishes too, like sauteed vegetables. I usually eat my vegetables raw though).
Shallots are very versatile. Wish more people would use them, then perhaps there would be a large enough market to justify large shallot farms, reducing the price.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:55 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I love jacima slaw made with papayas. If you are interested, I'll find the recipe.

Artichokes are a great spring vegetable that I enjoy dipped in a simple buttery lemon garlic and herb mixture. I've also had them stuffed.

I've never tried plantains the way that the OP describes, but they sound very good.

Celaric and mashed potatoes are delicious. I've eaten leeks all of my life. Potato leek soup is a warming winter staple for my family.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love jacima slaw made with papayas. If you are interested, I'll find the recipe.

Artichokes are a great spring vegetable that I enjoy dipped in a simple buttery lemon garlic and herb mixture. I've also had them stuffed.

I've never tried plantains the way that the OP describes, but they sound very good.

Celaric and mashed potatoes are delicious. I've eaten leeks all of my life. Potato leek soup is a warming winter staple for my family.
Would love to see the recipe. Just the name is tempting me tp try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food