Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times

Advertisements

Sling a lot of chopped vegetables in a stockpot with enough water to cover and some S&P. Use veggie broth, the liquid from canned vegetables or veggie bouillon cubes if you like them. Be sure to add 1/2 to 1 cup of pearl barley or rolled oats, or a chopped potato or so (skin on!) to thicken it up. I also advocate adding a can of soup beans, liquid and all. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes until everything is tender and the flavors have married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 01:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Hummus without pita bread: it's yummy straight from a spoon. This is my recipe.

1 can Garbanzo beans
1 Tbsp tahini
1 large garlic clove crushed
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or to taste
3 Tbsp roasted walnut oil
salt
black or white pepper
dash of cayenne

Put it all in a food processor; process until smooth.

You can add roasted red peppers, tomato paste, pimento, tomatillo, walnut puree, hot peppers or just about anything else that comes to mind.

Baba Ganoush is essentially the same recipe but with roasted eggplant instead of Garbanzo beans.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:55 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
This blog has MANY wonderful low-cost vegetarian recipes- complete with step-by-step color photos and printable recipes:

This link takes you straight to the vegetarian section of the blog: vegetarian Archives - Budget Bytes

Enjoy!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Hummus without pita bread: it's yummy straight from a spoon.

Baba Ganoush is essentially the same recipe but with roasted eggplant instead of Garbanzo beans.
Thanks for the hummus recipe. I've never tried Baba Ganoush, but it sounds delightful.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:44 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Bake a potato -- white or sweet -- then slit it open from stem to stern and douse it with vegetarian chili.

Open, rinse and drain a can of chickpeas. Add 2 small chopped apples, skin on; half a handful of chopped raisins, about the amount in a lunchbox-size serving; a rib or 2 of celery, diced; add a little lemon juice and curry powder as a dressing.

Chop/peel 1/4 fresh pineapple. Toss it with 2 large chopped apples, skin left on; 2 large ribs of celery, sliced into horseshoes; 2 med or 4 small carrots, and 1 med raw beet, smithereened in the food processor or blender. Toss everything together.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 PM

41 posts, read 51,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Lentil soup. There are a gadzillion online recipes, it's hard to mess up.
I usually sauté onions and perhaps some diced peppers, celery, or carrots in a little olive oil, then add the lentils and vegetable broth (instead of water) and cook according to the directions on the lentil package. About 15 minutes into the cooking, I might add either fresh or canned diced tomatoes and/or some greens like spinach, cabbage, or kale. But if I'm missing a few of these ingredients, it turns out tasty enough. I season with cumin (added to the initial sauté mix) and a tsp or so of apple cider vinegar (added with the tomatoes or greens).
I make something similar (Onions, peppers, celery, carrot, spinach, tomatoes, and lentils with chilli powder and tomato sauce) and put it over spaghetti with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and cheddar cheese, so it's like Cincinnati style chili. It's great when I need something that's actually filling.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:53 PM

251 posts, read 246,326 times
Some yummy recipes on here I'm going to be making! Walnut oil in the hummus, genius! One dish I like to make on the cheap is sesame noodles. If you have an Asian foods market nearby to you, pick up some whole wheat noodles, sesame oil, and some sesame seeds. I usually throw in some peas and shredded carrot, green onion and minced garlic. You can even do some mushrooms, bok choy and sprouts in it too, yum! There are a lot of good yet simple recipes online for sesame noodles that you could use as a base and then be creative and use what is in season to augment the recipe.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:56 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelKate View Post
Some yummy recipes on here I'm going to be making! Walnut oil in the hummus, genius! One dish I like to make on the cheap is sesame noodles. If you have an Asian foods market nearby to you, pick up some whole wheat noodles, sesame oil, and some sesame seeds. I usually throw in some peas and shredded carrot, green onion and minced garlic. You can even do some mushrooms, bok choy and sprouts in it too, yum! There are a lot of good yet simple recipes online for sesame noodles that you could use as a base and then be creative and use what is in season to augment the recipe.

Maybe that's one I need to try.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,668 times
Default For a quick stovetop meal...

A local grocery chain sells egg-free past ribbons. They cook up so quickly that they are a staple in my kitchen. I use them in this sort of recipe.

I often use an iron skillet or a heavy guage stainless steel frying pan with cover to bring water or vegetable broth from the box to a boil. Sometimes I use a packaged onion or mushroom soup packet to flavor plain water. I add the noodles to just enough liquid to cover them, add some frozen veggies, some oil, and let it reduce. Sometime I may use a little cornstarch if I want it thickened.

You don't have to boil the noodles first then drain them, that is why this is a very fast, very easy meal.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:03 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,661 times
To keep price down, go with dried starch and pulses and frozen veggies. Rice, beans, lentil, bulgur, onions, purple cabbage, and frozen veggies - these plus pasta sauce or other tomatoes make up most of my recipes. They are all cheap, delicious, and healthy. You can make chili, soup, stir fry, various dahls. There are tons of variations. I like Rinaldi sauce for a good combination of flavor and low price. If you use something else, your meal will taste totally different, of course.

Here are some examples of big, nutritious, easy vegan meals for just 2-3 dollars:
chickpeas, spinach, onion, 1/2 jar pasta sauce for a cheap and easy curry
lentils, brown rice, onion, 1 cup mixed veggies, 1/2 jar pasta sauce for lentil soup or curried lentils and rice
red lentil, onion, 1/2 bag mixed veggies, 1/2 jar pasta sauce for a delicious tomato soup or dahl
bulgur, onion, and 1/2 jar pasta sauce for yummy couscous
red lentil, frozen cauliflower, 1/2 jar pasta sauce for yummy curry soup

Last edited by JBPisgah; 02-18-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food