Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:13 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,298 times

Advertisements

I only cook veg. If they want meat, they have to cook it. As a result, my dh tells others he is 80% veg....because he doesn't feel like cooking!

He is free to cook his own meat, and to order meat at restaurants. But I won't touch it, nor will I cook the greasy meat pans (blech). He has to do that.

It works fine. My dh and dd actually prefer veggie tacos, and not-beef stew. I made soup last week on a rainy day with homemade veggie stock and my dh said it was restaurant-worthy and it was not hard to eat this way. I've found when cooking soups and stews that if I add extra olive oil and sesame oil, it makes a better mouth feel for my carnivores, and they don't miss the meat as much. Also, making sure it is flavored well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Strange turn of events: my meat-eating spouse asked me to cook 3 veg'n meals per week. Mind: blown.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
I became vegetarian after we got married so I didnt think our diets would ever be a problem in the marriage. I was trying to be vegan but its so hard because I have to cook his meals every day and he only likes meat, eggs etc. When we go order pizza we have a problem, because he doesnt want veggie pizza. What annoys me is the fact I have to make two separate meals every time. Sometimes I feel lazy and i just make omelet, or while i make it i smell it and it makes me hungry and i eat it with him. Its hard to stick to vegan diet because i feel like one of us have to give up. i told him its not fair to me that i have to cook meat and eggs while trying to avoid this food.
What do I do? How does it work in your family???
Thank you. Any advice is appreciated.
Totally vegan married to a meat eater wouldn't be easy, but many vegetarians live in homew with meat eaters. You can just make regular meals and just don't eat the meat part. As I said in another post, our granddaughter though not really a vegetarian is almost and she has no problems. She does eat chicken (breast only) and will, rarely have a burger. She just fixes food for hubby and the 2 girls, eats what they do, but fixes chicken for herself or no meat product at all. She will make chili or veggie soup and add meat toward the end for the rest of the family. I know it is hard for you, but it would also be unfair to try and force your husband to adopt your diet. As for the pizza, just get 1/2 and 1/2. We do that. though I am not a vegetarian or vegan I do prefer veggie pizza and hubby can't stand mushrooms or olives. even if we buy a ready made frozen pizza, I make sure whatever I add, is 1/2 what he likes and 1/2 what I like.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:52 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
You're the one with the restricted diet, it's on you to make the special meals. It's ridiculous though for you to be making whole separate meals every day. Surely on the days when you cook a meal that can be had with meat, you cook the meal, and some meat separately then combine them on his plate.

Hotfeet, spaghetti is even easier than that, just make a super tasty veg sauce. I do do bolognese from time to time, butit freezes so well that one batch makes several meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food