Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times

Advertisements

My daughter is vegan & her husband is vegetarian. Spouse & I are not, but we love the food. I am just not versed at preparing it. In a few weeks, we are going to meet daughter & SIL at a resort for a few days. They are flying & we are driving, and I would like to prepare some vegan snacks to bring with so that we will all have something to eat upon arrival. Savory or sweet, doesn't matter, just easy & packable SIL is a big guy with a big appetite. Could anyone give any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Trail mix and granola bars are about the easiest to pack and travel with. Hummus and pita chips and fresh carrot & celery sticks are good if you want to use a cooler, and guac and chips are another option if you have a cooler.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:21 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Thank you for these suggestions, they are very good. But they consider themselves upscale vegan gourmands & my daughter is a very good cook, could probably be a chef, so I'm looking for things to cook & pack.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:07 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
So how snacky do you want the foods to be?

Bean burritos with salsa, corn and Mexican rice -- no cheese
All-veg sushi is pretty portable if you dare!
Any type of vegan muffin is portable as heck
Biscotti with a fancy-schmantzy dip
Spicy roasted chickpeas
French Toast roll-ups can be made with bread flattened under a rolling pin, rolled round any filling you want (from apples with cinnamon to strawberries and cream cheese to Morningstar Farms sausage), then dipped in a mixture of almond milk and ground flaxseed and grilled or pan-fried, then rolled in cinnamon sugar to finish
Chickpea salad -- I suggest exotic Mideastern ingredients for your gourmandivore types

Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 PM

340 posts, read 664,972 times
I'd pack cold carrot sticks, fresh celery and grape tomatoes in one bag, and also carry along small crisp apples (not cut). A big bag of mixed nuts, unsalted or with only a small amount of salt, would also be my suggestion to tide over appetites until meal time.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:30 AM

140 posts, read 170,012 times
My main ideas were already posted - you could also try various types of mustard to spread on veggies or toast/crackers.

Fruit kabobs

Chips and home-made salsa/pico de gallo/guac

Veggie spirals (tortilla rolled with spinach, hummus, basil, roasted tomatoes, etc and cut into hand-held portions, held together with a toothpick)

Coucous, quinoa, rice - cook and mix with herbs and a little olive oil, maybe some sauteed veggies and refrigerate. Kind of like pasta salad but with more fiber/protein.

Salad with home-made dressing (plenty of tasty and healthy recipes online)

Have fun on the trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food