Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:32 AM

268 posts, read 290,176 times

Advertisements

Factory farm policies are very, very different that the small family farm that one poster seems to be referring to. Most of our animal foods come from factory farms, not the idealized farm most people think.

But while the mail point is, imo, factory farming, the actual hideousness of knawing on flesh, bones and sinews is the really gross and horrific thing, which I do not understand and cannot forgive or relate to, no matter how quickly or "humanely" the poor creature was murdered.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I'm not saying the current situation is ideal, not at all. It's actually horrible and disgusting and it should change. But I do believe in humane killing/slaughter exists, whether its a hunter that takes a elk down in one shot or a farm animal thats put down quickly. Ive lived on a farm and our animals were treated very well, sometimes we had to put them down for food and other times because of health conditions. Whatever reason, they were valued and cared for. I would hope for the same quick end.
Why are you on this forum? IMO, you don't belong here and are not welcome. Take an elk down with one shot? Please read the TOS for thus forum:

This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert vegetarians and vegans. It is meant for vegetarians and vegans interested in discussions among themselves and for others who want to learn more about this worldview and are interested in posing non-confrontational questions to vegetarians and vegans. Use our main Food and Drink forum if you want to debate the merits of this worldview (but do a search first to see if your topics have already been discussed).

Old 12-31-2014, 12:35 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,939 times
Don't watch videos about animal abuse. I did this once and couldn't eat meat for about a week. I also felt uneasy, anxious and helpless. Don't do this to yourself.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Don't watch videos about animal abuse. I did this once and couldn't eat meat for about a week. I also felt uneasy, anxious and helpless. Don't do this to yourself.
Again, if you don't support veganism, why are you on this forum? DO watch these films. This is the reality, the hell we put animals through.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:30 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
Why are you on this forum? IMO, you don't belong here and are not welcome. Take an elk down with one shot? Please read the TOS for thus forum:
This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert vegetarians and vegans. It is meant for vegetarians and vegans interested in discussions among themselves and for others who want to learn more about this worldview and are interested in posing non-confrontational questions to vegetarians and vegans. Use our main Food and Drink forum if you want to debate the merits of this worldview (but do a search first to see if your topics have already been discussed).
I posted agreeing with you to some extent and then giving my own opinion (which is what happens when people talk on a forum) but apparently you're so angry you're unable to read straight. So I guess the first part of your title was right on - congrats!

No one is trying to convert you to become a meat eater so get over yourself Maybe you should have wrote this is your diary if you didn't want to hear from anyone else.

BTW - you may want to read the TOS again so you understand them.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I posted agreeing with you to some extent and then giving my own opinion (which is what happens when people talk on a forum) but apparently you're so angry you're unable to read straight. So I guess the first part of your title was right on - congrats!

No one is trying to convert you to become a meat eater so get over yourself Maybe you should have wrote this is your diary if you didn't want to hear from anyone else.

BTW - you may want to read the TOS again so you understand them.
You don't appear to understand the distinction between arguing over issues and ad hominem attacks, about three in your last post. Telling another adult to get over themselves is childish. Stick with the issues please.

If you want to stuff dead animals into your body, there's not too much I can do about it aside from telling you that (a) I think it's disgusting; and (b) I don't think you should be posting in this forum. But please don't try to assert that it's okay if the animals are killed humanely. That perspective is not ve*gan and should be taken to a different forum.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:02 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
Again, if you don't support veganism, why are you on this forum? DO watch these films. This is the reality, the hell we put animals through.
I'm not saying I don't support veganism. I'm saying you shouldn't watch films like that, they're not good for you whether you eat meat or not. It's just not healthy.

I'm here because this subject popped up in the food section and I post there a lot. I didn't realize I was posting in the vegan subsection and honestly once I realized I posted here I knew was in for it but by that time it was too late.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:48 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,259 times
My best and most productive conversations have happened while not trying to brow-beat someone into my point of view. It usually comes up casually, they ask either what it is or when/why I chose it, and having a normal, low-key, matter of fact conversation about why I personally chose it has been most productive. (And usually is followed by amazement and/or envy about what I'm eating)

People don't want to be lectured and talked down to, no matter if they are vegan or carnivore. A lot of AR and vegans have not yet heard the expression about catching more flies with honey. Vegans will lecture vegetarians, vegetarians will lecture pescetarians, and everyone lectures meat eaters. No one enjoys that and no one comes out thinking "wow, you're right, I'm so stupid! Thanks!"

I agree I don't think we'll ever "win" and I agree humanity is beyond hope, for more reasons than just this one. Even if they all went vegetarian/vegan, humanity would find a million other ways to be disgusting. All I can do is remind myself about the story of saving starfish, and it keeps me going. It's not perfect, but it's all I've got to go on sometimes.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:13 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Celebrating? I have no idea where you read that.
That is what hunting is: People getting off on killing birds and animals. They get excited. They take joy in it. It most certainly is celebration when they hit their targets. And it's sick.

And BTW, that is not up for debate in this subforum. As the TOS says, if you want to debate or discusss the merits of vegetarianism or veganism, take it to another subforum. This is not the place for it. This subforum is where veggies can get together and vent if we wish, without people discussing what they think is good about meat.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
That is what hunting is: People getting off on killing birds and animals. They get excited. They take joy in it. It most certainly is celebration when they hit their targets. And it's sick.

And BTW, that is not up for debate in this subforum. As the TOS says, if you want to debate or discusss the merits of vegetarianism or veganism, take it to another subforum. This is not the place for it. This subforum is where veggies can get together and vent if we wish, without people discussing what they think is good about meat.
Thank you!!

My OP was written on a bad day. I know about the "more flies with honey" bit but sometimes being nice is just not going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food