Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:13 PM

912 posts, read 915,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Someone here on c-d recommended Dr. Barnhard's Diet to Reverse the Affects of Diabetes and we went vegan for 3 weeks on two different occasions. Amazing results. I could do it all the time but not so my guy. It's very labor intensive, fixing food that pleases my meat-loving guy. Right now he's packing on the pounds again with the holidays so I'm expecting another 3 weeks coming up. Finding a reasonably priced vegan restaurant makes things easier and we had a great one in Atlanta. Haven't looked hard for one since we moved.
Ah, therein lies the problem, if you ask me. If he's a meat lover, taking away meat for three weeks has to be tough on him. I know it's for a "crash diet" but even that sets the body in a spin.

I'd try something a little less jarring to his system. Say he eats meat 3x day, cut it back to two or one times per day. Then, once he's doing that for a good long while and is used to it, drop meat one day a week. Do that for a while, then eventually drop meat on 2 days.

At that point, he's still getting meat most days of the week, but at a fraction of the volume he now consumes. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. In fact, with most dietary changes, it can't be or the person is destined to fail.

The same goes for cutting back caffeine (my once long time 'drug' of choice that I had to do the above strategy with), sugar, fats, etc.

And yes, in the beginning, making veg. dishes might not taste so good, not because they can't be good, but often because the chef is still learning the proper way to prepare them to their full potential.

People that say they don't like eggplant, brussel sprouts, peas, asparagus, artichokes, etc, come to my home and are begging for third and fourth plates. The reason is I always use fresh ingredients (not frozen and *never* canned) and have had 28 years of practice cooking them regularly. When it's the only thing you're eating for dinner, you learn to make it taste good. lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,850 times
It has been about 17 years for me. I used to eat all kinds of meat, especially beef and chicken. I had a lot of gastrointestinal issues when I was in college. One summer, I had come home to a vegetarian family (Hindu ) so I was eating more vegetarian meals and realized that I didn't have the same stomach pains as I did at school. I then experimented and figured out the it was the beef and chicken that caused me to feel like I had knots in my stomach every time I ate meat. I have given that up and only eat seafood on business trips and haven't experienced the same pains as the beef or chicken did to me. I feel so much better now and actually lost a few pounds too!!

Old 01-13-2016, 01:45 PM

216 posts, read 271,858 times
I'm close to becoming vegan, not there yet. I've never liked pork or seafood that much so that was easy to completely give up last spring. Around October I gave up red meat and dairy, don't miss it at all actually. Only thing keeping me from being vegan is damn chicken. I am just so use to making meals or ordering meals that include chicken. Oh and I do have eggs from time to time, although I'm much closer to giving that up completely than chicken.

With that said, what was the hardest thing for you to give up before going vegan?

Old 01-13-2016, 02:29 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad06 View Post
I'm close to becoming vegan, not there yet. I've never liked pork or seafood that much so that was easy to completely give up last spring. Around October I gave up red meat and dairy, don't miss it at all actually. Only thing keeping me from being vegan is damn chicken. I am just so use to making meals or ordering meals that include chicken. Oh and I do have eggs from time to time, although I'm much closer to giving that up completely than chicken.

With that said, what was the hardest thing for you to give up before going vegan?
I'm still stuck on cheese. Not every day, but sometimes I just want something hot and filling, especially right now being laid up something already made that can be ordered. I have cans of beans and lots of rice in the house, but it's not the same.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:13 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm still stuck on cheese. Not every day, but sometimes I just want something hot and filling, especially right now being laid up something already made that can be ordered. I have cans of beans and lots of rice in the house, but it's not the same.
It still comes down to having leftovers or something in the freezer or refrigerator. When I became vegan, I was working a lot of hours. It was autumn and going to be a long, cold winter. I started prepping vegetables every weekend and eating soup nearly every other night.

That routine was pretty simple. I'd get home, put water on the stove to boil, change, throw veg and a bit of this or that in the pot like some seaweed and tamari, add some tofu toward the end and stir in miso paste after I'd pulled it off of the heat. When I was really hungry, I'd throw in some brown rice. Desperation? Vegetarian bean dip, multigrain crackers and raw vegetables.

Cheese was the last thing I eliminated, too. Being able to eat pizza and an occasional grilled cheese sandwich was rather comforting. It also made dining out rather easy.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:11 PM

6 posts, read 5,099 times
I am 22. I am eggetarian. I just don't want to eat meat and non veg items.My whole family is non vegetarian but i eat calories food they gave me energy.By the way good post here.Keep doing this !!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryjackson View Post
I am 22. I am eggetarian. I just don't want to eat meat and non veg items.My whole family is non vegetarian but i eat calories food they gave me energy.By the way good post here.Keep doing this !!
Eggetarian is a word? It used to be lacto/ovo vegetarian.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:35 PM

24,111 posts, read 32,460,014 times
When I watched animals being slaughtered. Recently. When I was a child, my uncle had a dairy farm. Sometimes I helped out.

I saw things I'd rather forget.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
I was one for about a year and half in my mid 20s. A friend gay me an easy to read book and it convinced me not to eat meat. I wasn't a great one, I still ate french fries and grilled cheese sandwiches and not a lot of veggies, I did work at a restaurant that has a nice salad bar so I did have that too. I remember Christmas Eve dinner that one year at my grandparents without eating meat, but there were enough sides and rices and potatoes to eat. Eventually I realized I was not eating healthy and craved meat to I went back to it.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 5,099 times
Eating meat proves bad effect for the health ..avoid it as much as you can.. I am not totally vegetarian but don't eat meat ever.. Anyway Nice post You posted here !! Good Job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food