Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 03:41 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Then you'd know that most people who consume meat, don't eat meat three meals every day. Of course that has nothing to do with anything and you keep moving the bar and arguing with me about things that I never mentioned.

Again - ounce for ounce - trading one ingredient for the next - portabello mushrooms cannot substitute for meat, with regards to protein. OUNCE FOR OUNCE...

You're not wrong, but it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm also not wrong, it's math, it's fact. Ounce for ounce, mushroom protein is not equal to meat protein.
I'm saying that it is a good substitute for meat because you don't need that much protein. If you choose to eat a 1lb burger and I choose to use a mushroom.. you are overdoing the protein and I don't have to match that with OUNCE FOR OUNCE since I don't require that much protein to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 03:42 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
"The New Becoming Vegetarian"

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Becomi.../dp/1570671443

is an excellent resource for you and your child.

I am guessing that there are already foods that you eat that are vegetarian - if not vegan.
Middle Eastern and Mediterranean foods - as well as Mexican cuisine lend them selves well to vegetarian cooking.

Here are some start up ideas - what do you throw on the grill? Where do I begin! Black Bean Burgers are a tasty alternative to meat. Yeves vegetarian/ vegan hot dogs are quite good, as are Tofurky sausages.

Fantastic Foods has a great selection of Mediterranean foods that are easily prepared. Felafel, hummus, cous cous are a few. They also have a very decent chilly mix - to which I add any number of vegetables - depending upon season - and beans.

I always keep the following items in my house - veggie burgers, black bean burgers, quinoa, lentils, brown rice, frozen pirogies, frozen ravioli, tomato sauce, hummus LOTS of hummus - for sandwiches and dip, avocados for sandwiches and guacamole, split peas, canned organic beans, pasta, frozen eggplant cutlets, frozen organic black beans and rice. Frozen organic vegetables - and LOTS of fresh, local organic vegetables.

I have raised two children as vegetarians. They are now 21 and 19. In college and healthy, slender and athletic. They have never eaten meat in their lives.

While I did not raise them as vegans, my son is a strict vegan. My daughter eats some fish - if is is not farmed - but eschews all meat and poultry.

We purchase eggs locally from a humane organic farmer.

Keep nuts, seeds, dried fruit, nut butters and other healthy foods in your home. Fresh fruit is always available in my house.

If you need recipes, ideas or further advice - do not hesitate to send me a direct message.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:08 PM

749 posts, read 852,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
My almost 8-year old daughter has wanted to be a vegetarian for quite some time now. She has never liked most meats, and she has ethical concerns about eating animals, in general.

I'd like to support her in this venture, but not at the expense of a healthy diet, and I really don't know enough about nutrition or vegetarianism to go cold turkey (no pun intended) with it. I want to get a bit more educated before allowing her to do this. I know that I need to learn more getting complete proteins, I know rice and beans together can do that. But, beyond that...kind of at a loss.

She eats plenty of dairy in the form of Greek yogurt and cheese, and will eat eggs. Basically, she doesn't want an animal to die for her appetites, but is okay with consuming products made from them.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend either some websites or books that would help me as far as learning what a healthy vegetarian diet looks like. Any kid-friendly vegetarian recipe books or suggestions would be helpful as well.

My husband, other two kids, and I don't intend to follow her on this vegetarian adventure completely, but I wouldn't mind more non-meat meals, either.
You could phone her Pediatricians office and ask for their recommend on a Dietitian you could speak with and get that persons advice on books, etc. At her age she obviously needs a healthy diet to avoid long term problems.
Expert advice from a person who actually works in the field of nutrition and is trusted by her doctor, I wouldn't really trust any other advice, too many fads and misinformation out there.

Last edited by tdr22; 06-13-2015 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-13-2015, 04:40 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,864 times
Thank you to everyone who has responded thus far. Tons of great information, lots for me to review and digest (No pun intended, again!).

Last edited by sonderella; 06-13-2015 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-13-2015, 04:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Tons of vegetarian websites too - on facebook I love Amuse Your Bouche. This is where I learned some recipies for my son. She has a slow cooker recipie that totally reminds me of beef stroganoff only using only mushrooms and onions. I often buy black bean spaghetti to bump up the protein and also higher protein pasta made with chickpea flour. I was surpised to learn how well vegetarians can eat and the variety of meals. It DOES take a little more planning and preparation at times.

Plus, if you eat fish - that opens up a whole new avenue of protein.

My son loves grilled salmon, etc.

Happy learning and exploring!

Old 06-13-2015, 05:56 PM

348 posts, read 416,004 times
First of all, good job on being understanding and wanting to support your child's decision, as well as ensure proper nutrition.
It's really great that she's eating dairy and eggs as these will have a lot of great bio-available proteins and minerals.
As others have mentioned, quinoa is a great grain to have on hand. It's high in protein, and pretty good as a highly nutritious replacement for rice or cracked wheat.
Black beans are pretty tasty. My daughter used to LOVE them with cheese and stuffed into a flour tortilla. I used to eat them microwaved in a bowl with cheese and salsa with tortilla chips to dip in them.
Try to avoid falling into the trap of buying a bunch of "substitute" foods or buying nutrient-poor foods and snacks "just because it's vegetarian". Whole foods will always be better than some weirdo "fake meat patty". I used to get high protein tofu and slice it up, then season with garlic powder. Fry it in butter. Top with cheese and melt. Add a splash of A1 Steak Sauce and top with sliced pickles. Serve on lettuce or on a toasted bun.

Stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods will be your best friend and your worst enemy. You may find yourself buying lots of expensive foods from Whole Foods because "OMG they have vegetarian ___!" or junk replacements from Trader Joe's because "Wow, this is so cheap here!".

Indian restaurants will often have really amazing vegetarian options. Start with the mild bean (dal) dishes and a side of aloo gobi (potatoes and cauliflower).

Learn to read labels and to understand what you are seeing. You will want to find out right away how strict your kid wants to be. This is important. Is she going to balk at products with gelatin in it because it's made from animal bones? What about white sugar which is often processed through bone charcoal? How about animal broth / fats? What about animal rennet that is often found in cheeses? If, as you say, she's a "no animal must die for my foods", then you'll need to recognize the names that animal products hide under so she's not unpleasantly surprised.

You are lucky that now there are TONS of vegetarian and vegan recipe sites out there, as well as options clearly marked on many restaurant menus and food labels. When I first cut most meats out of my diet in Missouri in 1989, things were not that good for me.
At a very expensive restaurant:
Me: "Does the rice pilaf have any meat in it?"
Server: "Nope. It just has bacon in it. Y'all can pick that out."
-_-

I hope this helps.

-T.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:03 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Your child is 8. You make the rules, not her. Unless you make her the center of attention about this, she will probably get over it in a few months.
I would cook normal balanced meals for the family, and allow her to skip the meat. I did this for my son when he was little, and he got over it after awhile.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Your child is 8. You make the rules, not her. Unless you make her the center of attention about this, she will probably get over it in a few months.
I would cook normal balanced meals for the family, and allow her to skip the meat. I did this for my son when he was little, and he got over it after awhile.
I see absolutely nothing wrong in letting her child try something new. If her parents want to let her experiment - good for them.

She may never eat meat again and that is absolutely fine.

It's really never been easier to be a vegetarian; they are everywhere and the market is more than happy to accomodate them.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:01 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
I'd tip the ladle towards Indian food. I'm a vegetarian guy and so is my entire family lineage.

Substitute protein with lentils. The rest (grains, dairy, fruits, and veggies) can remain unchanged.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:16 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,876 times
It could wind up being a life-long change/choice, and that's okay!

I never would eat meat; even as a baby, I refused to swallow food in which I could taste meat. My parents used to make me try meat, and I refused to ever swallow it. As far back as I can remember, I was disgusted by the smell meat and the thought of ever consuming it. :yuck: :vomit:

Some children make dietary choices (not just vegetarianism, but others, as well) that are healthy and not "just a stage." For others, it is "just a stage." Still others make choices that are not healthy at all. And for a small percentage, it is a sign of disordered eating/an eating disorder. As long as your daughter is making the choice for reasons other than restriction/weight loss/unhealthy control, and as long as her diet is still well-balanced, it's all good.

I'm weird because I am a vegetarian who can't stand Indian food (the taste and smell make me feel ill). I agree with introducing it to your daughter, though, because she might like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food