Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

We are going to have a vegan guest staying with us for at least several days. I know she won't eat meat or dairy, but I am clueless as to what I can buy to feed her beyond fruits and vegetables. She's only been here once before and I made her some quinoa and vegetables, but I can't do that every day.

Can somebody suggest things that are readily available in the grocery store that I should stock up on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 04:43 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
hummus, grill a bunch of veggies with a bit of olive oil and keep them in the fridge to add to meals, think coconut milk curries, get a few Amy's burritos /meals in the frozen section.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:49 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,345 times
Hummus, definitely. Breads, pasta with non-dairy vegetarian sauce, any kind of veggies, baked potatoes are great and filling, buy some things to make chili with (I make an easy chili with 1 can black beans, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can Hunt's diced tomatoes and 1 packet of chili seasoning and about 1/4 cup sugar - mix it all up to boiling, let boil for 30 minutes. Vegan and yummy!). You can make salads.

Did you know Ritz crackers and some Oreos are also vegan? Here's a list of lots of things you wouldn't expect, but ARE actually vegan: http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/

If you want to cheat, buy some Hormel Vegetarian Chili and Busch's Baked Vegetarian beans. Both are vegan and great. Kellogg’s Special K Red Berries is vegan and great cereal too! And Anne’s Flat Dumplings with vegetable broth and peas added in..fried rice with soy sauce, without eggs.. black bean burgers (Morningstar has some vegan ones in the frozen food isles)..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 AM

Thank you both. I wouldn't have bought pasta, I thought it contained eggs. Good to know that's an option.

Do you know if Trader Joe's is a good source of vegan frozen entrees?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:10 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Thank you both. I wouldn't have bought pasta, I thought it contained eggs. Good to know that's an option.

Do you know if Trader Joe's is a good source of vegan frozen entrees?
Yes.

However, if one wants to truly be vegan they need to familiarize themselves with animal ingredients. These lists are all the same and I am purposefully posting a non-PETA list here:

HappyCow: Animal Ingredient List A-Z

You know what's funny? That there are a good number of products, let alone food dishes, that are vegan that meat eaters eat all the time, yet, tell a meat eater that something is vegan and they will often times refuse to eat it

Old 06-11-2015, 09:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Big pot of lentil soup,lots of salads and fruits and stock up on a variety of nuts.
a couple of my favorites= ( double up on the vegetable broth and cut the chicken broth)
http://www.food.com/recipe/alton-bro...il-soup-369791

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/m...XkhkAaet4Br.97

Old 06-11-2015, 02:09 PM

I went to Trader Joe's and looked for frozen meals with the "v" on them. I picked up 6, so at least I have something on hand until I get an idea of how she actually eats. Thanks for the recipes Jambo, I'd eat them too!

Old 06-11-2015, 02:15 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Its been my experience with the vegans i know that they are very fussy about what they eat, meals out of a box may not go over too well.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:17 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Rice pilaf with different veggies (whatever you like)
Pasta primavera
Veggie Stirfry served with rice or rice noodles.
Veggie curries.
Roasted (smashed, baked...) potatoes
Veggie pizzas (use a good drizzle of olive oil instead of cheese)

Lots of great soups are vegan or can easily be converted (sub veggie stock for chicken): asparagus, cauliflower, butternut, black bean, kale and chickpea... are all good, hearty soups that can be made into a meal.

Have a dairy alternative on-hand for coffee/cereal (almond, soy, rice, coconut milk).

Beans, eggplant, lentils, cauliflower, and beans can pretty easily become creative meat substitutes as well (black/pinto bean tacos, eggplant burgers, lentil meatballs, cauliflower steaks).

You might have fun with this!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its been my experience with the vegans i know that they are very fussy about what they eat, meals out of a box may not go over too well.
She's a recent college grad who currently has nowhere to go. I don't expect her to be too fussy, but I'll make sure she knows she's welcome to prepare anything she wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food