Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,357,999 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been posted here, but this very simple recipe for mock tuna fish salad is even better than the real thing! It's one of the few vegetarian foods that is actually tastier than what it is imitating. I change the recipe up a little, changing the 1 teaspoon of soy sauce to 1/2 tablespoon of low sodium soy sauce, omit the kelp and yeast (can't find it in my local grocery store), and add lots of shakes of Louisiana Hot Sauce and pepper. OK to use regular mayo if you can't find the vegan stuff.

The 2 secrets to success are to not chop the garbanzo beans up too much (I just mash them w/ a fork) and not add too much mayo. Better to put too little and add if necessary, than have it all mushy. This stuff is just great. Makes a tasty sandwich or dip. Different cans of beans have different consistency when mashed too, so if your first batch is too mushy or too chunky, try another brand.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...20.KgZJMM6_0jw

I tried to link this directly, but the censorship software won't let me, as the title has an euphemism for manure in it. Why would that be in the title? Well, I don't know, but it doesn't mater. It's the first link that comes up on the page when you click on the link.

Last edited by smarino; 07-19-2015 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 11:28 AM

251 posts, read 248,013 times
This looks like it is worth a try! The thing that gets me though, is if I wanted to eat tuna salad, I'd eat a freakin' tuna salad. However I do not. Therefore it does not need to pretend to be tuna salad and bear such a moniker. Maybe "Briny Sea Flavor Garbanzo Bean Vegan Delicious Salad?" Slap it on some homemade hearty grain bread sounds good to me!

As far as I'm concerned, my food is not "mock" anything, it is nutritious, delicious, and life giving.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:26 PM

934 posts, read 1,133,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelKate View Post
This looks like it is worth a try! The thing that gets me though, is if I wanted to eat tuna salad, I'd eat a freakin' tuna salad. However I do not. Therefore it does not need to pretend to be tuna salad and bear such a moniker. Maybe "Briny Sea Flavor Garbanzo Bean Vegan Delicious Salad?" Slap it on some homemade hearty grain bread sounds good to me!

As far as I'm concerned, my food is not "mock" anything, it is nutritious, delicious, and life giving.

I agree. I don't like anything marketed as "Mock". Just tell me it's a delicious sandwich filling and I might just try it. Thinking it's going to be like tuna....that's just gonna **** me off.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,291,567 times
Name aside, this is a good recipe. As I have continuously mentioned in this forum, legumes in general make for the best "fake meat" than anything else (tofu, seitan, processed fake meat product, etc.). In my experienced opinion, chickpeas aka garbanzo beans make for the best fake chicken and tuna. While it can be made without, the key to this recipe is the kelp, which lends a slight "ocean" flavor plus unami.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:44 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,291,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelKate View Post

I made the same argument 20 years ago, then I became vegan and understood this type of food-labeling usage. For one, everyone knows that the packaged "crab meat" sold in super markets contains no crab at all, yet where is the outrage? For what-ever reason, meat-eaters just happily eat it and continue to call it "crab"--assuming they actually like the stuff.

And two, typically when someone says mock tuna it is generally understood what is meant. And besides, let us be honest here: only vegans would go for something called a Briny Sea Flavor Garbanzo Bean Vegan Delicious Salad; partially because many vegans shop for specialty food items at Asian markets. Even a vegetarian would think, "Briny sea flavor? That sounds gross!"

For what it is worth, meat eaters have an immediate adverse reaction to anything they "know" is vegan despite eating many vegan food items to begin with. Calling something a mock tuna sandwich sheds some of the mystery and lends a bit of familiarity to it, even if it is false advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food