Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 11:01 AM

24 posts, read 26,021 times

Advertisements

I'm sure many of you are familiar with persimmons. For those of you who are persimmon "experts," or anyone else who feels like offering their opinion, I have a problem.

I've just discovered the awesomeness of persimmons, and have already eaten a fuyu and hachiya, both delicious; however, my mom picked up a "percinnamon" for me a few days ago. She thought it was just an average hachiya, as the shape is the same, only "blown up."

It's a much lighter orange than a normal hachiya, and looks double the size. It's also very firm, so I've been trying to ripen it on my window sill like I've done with other hachiyas (for those of you who don't know, hachiyas need to be mush-soft before they're eaten), but I noticed on its sticker that it says "ready to eat." There's almost no information on the internet regarding this thing and whether it really is ready to eat when it's firm, or if that's false advertisement and I should wait a couple weeks. For those unfamiliar with persimmons, biting into an unripe hachiya is an unpleasant, mouth-puckering/drying experience.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 11:12 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,559,268 times
I like my persimmons on the soft side. They sweeten up when allowed to fully ripen.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
I have no idea what they are, if I had to guess I would think they are like kumquats and I don't know what they are either, never seen or tried either.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 12-10-2015 at 06:08 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 10:20 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
I have no idea how to eat a persimmon without my face turning inside out because the dang thing is so sour. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 PM

24 posts, read 26,021 times
Hey, everyone! Well, I couldn't bear it and decided to experiment. I took this "percinnamon," cut it into wedges, and...

It was delicious. Firm like a fuyu, as sweet as a slightly-overripe hachiya, with a bit of a cinnamon (surprise!) flavor. Though the sticker said "ready to eat," I'm glad I waited a while. The darker-orange parts of it were the sweetest, like eating a spoonful of sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I have no idea how to eat a persimmon without my face turning inside out because the dang thing is so sour. Keep us posted on how it goes.
You've probably only had unripe hachiyas (acorn-shaped). They're the astringent kind, where they taste absolutely sour and drying before they're ripe. They're not ripe until they feel so soft that they feel like they may collapse in your hand. Think of a not-quite-full water balloon. Once they're ripe, though, they're very sweet, not acidic at all, and the flesh is custardy. Fuyus (sandwich tomato-shaped), on the other hand, are sweet even when unripe. They can be eaten when they're soft, but a lot of people like to eat them when they're firm like an apple.

I was always told by my mom and grandparents that persimmons were sour and that I probably wouldn't like them, but I did some research, picked some ripe ones, and as you've probably gathered from this and the other post, I'm really hooked on them. Don't knock 'em!

Old 12-13-2015, 05:03 PM

Hmm. Maybe I should keep my eyes open for one and try again.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I have no idea what they are, if I had to guess I would think they are like kumquats and I don't know what they are either, never seen or tried either.
Kumquats are tiny -- about the size of a large grape -- and the sweetness is in the skin, not the pulp, a sort of lemony-orangey flavor

Old 12-14-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Kumquats are tiny -- about the size of a large grape -- and the sweetness is in the skin, not the pulp, a sort of lemony-orangey flavor

A kumquat is a midget citrus fruit with a sweet skin and a bitter, sour inside. A persimmon looks like a mutant pear or gooseberry on steroids.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:43 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

You've eaten them before its ripe. If you do - the tannin will suck all the moisture out of your mouth.

Buy a persimmon - then don't touch it for a long time - until it turns jelly-soft under the skin. And this applies to both types of persimmon. I can't imagine eating a Fuyu when its firm. Then again, I'm not one for eating raw potatoes or green bananas either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food