Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 06:57 AM

3,963 posts, read 4,209,818 times

Advertisements

I just took the plunge and ordered a waffle maker after reading lots of reviews on Amazon. I did this with great trepidation, as I have horrible memories of my Mom cursing up a storm at various waffle makers that all made waffles stick. LOL But that was many years ago, in the early days of non-stick cookware.

My question is this: does anyone have a vegan waffle recipe? And have you used it in an electric waffle maker? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 04:23 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,650,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I just took the plunge and ordered a waffle maker after reading lots of reviews on Amazon. I did this with great trepidation, as I have horrible memories of my Mom cursing up a storm at various waffle makers that all made waffles stick. LOL But that was many years ago, in the early days of non-stick cookware.

My question is this: does anyone have a vegan waffle recipe? And have you used it in an electric waffle maker? Many thanks!

Try Dr. McDougall's website for plant-based (He does not call them "vegan") recipes. I haven't tried this one, but the full recipe is listed at the bottom of the page:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/dec/recipes.htm
"BANANA PANCAKES – Adapted from McDougall Newsletter, July 2003
These are a favorite breakfast in our home. They are easy to make, and everyone loves them! These are wonderful served with a little maple syrup or applesauce. You can make these the night before and you will just need to add a bit more liquid to the mix in the morning...

...WAFFLES
These can easily be made with the extra pancake batter you made earlier. Simply add more non-dairy milk and stir to get all the lumps out. We have a great non-stick farm animal waffle maker by Villaware that my boys love. They fight over the barn waffle, but there is also a pig, chicken and cow to choose from. For some reason, eating food in a fun shape makes things taste better for young children. We serve these with fruit, honey or syrup..."

Old 11-16-2015, 06:38 AM

Thanks, pacific2! I will take a look. Interesting that he mentions Villaware. Their waffle makers are very expensive (some are $200 or more). And reviewers do rave about them. Since I am just starting out, I decided to go with something more moderately-priced. If I have success, I will "step-up" to a Villaware waffle maker. If I follow in my Mom's footsteps, I will give the waffle maker away and forget I ever had this idea! LOL

Old 11-16-2015, 07:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,542,620 times
I bought a Cuisinart Waffle Maker in July, 2013. I prefer thin waffles. It has done an excellent job. I use roasted walnut oil in mine and spray the griddle with Pam. I have no sticking problems.

A third party Amazon seller has them for $24.89 with free shipping. That's cheaper than Amazon. Customer service at Amazon collapsed about a year ago, but third party sellers still seem fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Old 11-18-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I bought a Cuisinart Waffle Maker in July, 2013. I prefer thin waffles. It has done an excellent job. I use roasted walnut oil in mine and spray the griddle with Pam. I have no sticking problems.

A third party Amazon seller has them for $24.89 with free shipping. That's cheaper than Amazon. Customer service at Amazon collapsed about a year ago, but third party sellers still seem fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Someone told me to try spraying Coconut Oil on the waffle maker, because it tastes good. I found a spray bottle of Coconut Oil at Trader Joe's and I am going to try it. BTW, the waffle maker has arrived and is now sitting on my counter, DARING me to try it out. LOL (If you grew up around my Mom, you would know how fearful waffle-making can be. I can still hear her cursing!)

Old 12-10-2015, 10:27 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,704,105 times
Just use your heart-smart Bisquick, which is their nondairy formula, and use nondairy milk and flaxseed eggs (1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed + 2 Tbsps water = 1 egg). Voila.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have become a waffle-making fool, constantly experimenting with recipes. My latest experiment is using "aquafaba", which is a fancy term for the liquid in a can of chickpeas! It is a great substitute for eggs. (Nope, doesn't taste beany.) I think I am gonna splurge on a Cuisinart waffle-maker that has removable plates. I make batches of waffles and freeze them. Mmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food