Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:07 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

I just read this article with interest after spotting this edition of TIME in the checkout line. The author, Jeffrey Kluger, does a good job of laying out the issues surrounding getting cancer from meat -- not just the cured and highly-processed stuff, but any meat.

>> He tactfully points out that no matter how solid the research is, people tend to misinterpret it, sometimes wildly. He attempts to set some of that straight, but to really do it right he would probably need to write a whole book on the subject.

>> He makes a point of explaining the difference between a 'hazard' and a 'risk' in public-health terminology, which goes directly to the laughable level of scare talk in any discussion we have these days about food and health.

>> He notes that the researchers he's quoting make crystal clear that ALL meat consumption has the same issues attached to it. A turkey dog is no better for you than a footlong ballpark frank, and the celery squeezin's added to preserve sausages triumphantly labeled "NO ADDED NITRATES" are used...because they contain nitrates!

>> He also points out that Americans eat EVERYTHING like a pack of starving dogs and that the risks they are all shrieking about on street corners would be a lot less if they would simply stop gorging themselves 24/7.

You should pardon the expression, but there's a lot of food for thought in here.

Has anyone read it yet but me? Thoughts?

Is it a war? I don't know. I try to be moderate; I don't have any real need to consume much in the way of processed meats. Maybe if they truly were "Delicious", I'd eat them more. I did have two slices of bacon on a burger last night, but that's probably my first bacon in weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:04 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
This ain't exactly rocket science. Any intelligent person knows that eating tortured and murdered living beings is not good. How on earth could it be? But the dead animal industry has done a very effective brainwashing of our society. Some of us wised up and looked at the health and ethical risks ourselves. These studies were obviously suppressed for ages, as if that matters. We're not exactly living in the age of enlightenment here. People are going to continue to act unhealthy because basically they just don't care.

Besides, other animals get cancerous tumors just like human animals. Some will not be so visible, so they'll be in the flesh that people eat. Other times, the cancer will simply be at the cellular level and won't be visible. So what do we think will happen when we consume cancerous flesh? I don't know the specifics of the science here, nor do I need to know. It just sounds totally stupid.

I knew a guy that worked at a meat processing company in Hawaii (mmmm, Spam). He said that the owner would not eat any of his products because he knew that the nitrates would kill him over time.

Uh, thinking that celery is somehow responsible for health risks is straight out of Idiocracy. What is this, the troll thread?
Excellent post. For people who don't care how the animals are treated, understand that you are literally eating fear.

Adrenaline plus a plethora of other stress hormones are released during the brutal process of slaughter.

Please pass the bacon...far away from me.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:23 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
A reminder, as clearly explained in the forum sticky:

Quote:
This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert vegetarians and vegans. It is meant for vegetarians and vegans interested in discussions among themselves and for others who want to learn more about this worldview and are interested in posing non-confrontational questions to vegetarians and vegans. Use our main Food and Drink forum if you want to debate the merits of this worldview (but do a search first to see if your topics have already been discussed).

Old 01-04-2016, 04:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I don't think anyone - including bacon lovers - have ever considered bacon as a healthy food. There's never been anything healthy about it. It's mostly fried fat, with just a smidge of meat, and that's no matter what additives you do/don't put in it.

I'm a bacon lover - but I know better than to eat it daily, or even weekly. For me it's an occasional treat. In fact, for many people who eat it, it's a treat and not a daily/weekly consumption. Sort of like eating unfrosted Pop-Tarts (which are vegan). They might be vegan but they're still bad for you and you shouldn't eat them on a regular basis. The same goes for bacon and omnivores who enjoy an omnivorous diet.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:42 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
This ain't exactly rocket science. Any intelligent person knows that eating tortured and murdered living beings is not good. How on earth could it be? But the dead animal industry has done a very effective brainwashing of our society. Some of us wised up and looked at the health and ethical risks ourselves. These studies were obviously suppressed for ages, as if that matters. We're not exactly living in the age of enlightenment here. People are going to continue to act unhealthy because basically they just don't care.

Besides, other animals get cancerous tumors just like human animals. Some will not be so visible, so they'll be in the flesh that people eat. Other times, the cancer will simply be at the cellular level and won't be visible. So what do we think will happen when we consume cancerous flesh? I don't know the specifics of the science here, nor do I need to know. It just sounds totally stupid.

I knew a guy that worked at a meat processing company in Hawaii (mmmm, Spam). He said that the owner would not eat any of his products because he knew that the nitrates would kill him over time.

Uh, thinking that celery is somehow responsible for health risks is straight out of Idiocracy. What is this, the troll thread?
In regards to raising livestock and processing, when you visited those places what bothered you the most? The way people treated them? How they were raised? What they were fed? The doctoring? Culling?
I honestly would like to know what you saw and how it can be changed. Thank you for the help.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
As near as I can tell, millions of people are avoiding processed and red meats and those who still do eat those foods are cutting back -- although I fail to understand this arbitrary dividing line between red meat and poultry/fish, as if there were any meaningful difference.
My dad avoided "red meat" for decades. He drew the line at mammals, which he viewed as more highly evolved. Killing them had more negative karma than killing a lesser life form like a bird or fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food