Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:17 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
My apologies. I guess I'm also TiredOfSFL.

As you said, everyone is different. A carnivore eats only meat, a vegetarian eats only plants, an omnivore is able to eat both. I am an omnivore, grandparents and great grandparents are also. They lived to be 94, 98, 100, 97. Not an opinion, a fact. And yes, we farm and raise livestock. We eat what we produce. Wheat, milo, corn, beef, pork, chicken. Yes, we eat other vegetables and protein.
That study is BS, in my opinion. But, that is only my opinion. to each their own.

I'm happy for those who eat what they can and want. In no way do I have a right to push what I eat on others thinking that I know best. I don't know best. I do my best, I'm healthy, and so is my family.

I am most positive that you are too, TiredOfSFL. I understand you want others to feel as great as you do. It's very kind of you. Information is knowledge, and we all are malnourished of knowledge.

I do thank you for answering my post. Wish you the best and look forward to reading more of your posts.

h&k
Thank you for a most kind comment to my post. However, I really don't know why you tried to explain that you and your family are/were omnivores since the large majority of people are and I was until 1 1/2 yrs. ago, so it's not like I landed here from a vegan planet, lol! I just happened to "see the light" and changed my ways. My own maternal grandparents lived past 90, and my own father to 91 but I'm sure you realize they grew up during a different time. My mother and 2 of her 6 siblings died of cancer long before they got even close to the age when their parents died, and another sibling is a breast cancer survivor and my father had at least one of his siblings die of cancer too. And believe it or not I do understand where you're coming from, my ex-b/f grew up in a family that raised beef cattle so he's very reluctant to stop eating meat even though animal foods have destroyed his health. I am glad that you and your family are healthy but I don't know your age or theirs and no one can tell if ya'll remain healthy later on (but for your sakes I hope you do!).

Regarding the study, yes, you're entitled to your opinion but you need to realized you feel that way due to your bias. There's been many other studies about our "microbiome" in recent years so I don't think it's wise to dismiss all information about it. After all, for every human cell in our bodies there are 10 which are not, so I, for one, like to learn more about what my body is mostly made of.

IMHO you do well in not pushing what you eat on others because it's been proven that eating animal foods is a direct cause of heart disease, and very possibly many types of cancer, diabetes and other "diseases of affluence". And in case you said that also as a polite "indirect" to my sharing information about what I NOW consider a superior diet, well, I could never view trying to help others as "pushing". And no, I'm still not 100% healthy, the damage of over 60 years on an "omnivore" diet cannot be expected to be undone in such a short time, especially because I can't afford to eat all-organic. So I've come to terms with the possibility that I may never become completely healthy but if I do that'll be great.

I no longer view what we eat as something "personal" due to the effect our collective choices have on the environment and everyone's health due to the present animal factory farming practices. Please watch this short version of a documentary called "Cowspiracy" so you can realize the impact it has on the planet, the same planet your granchildren and mine will have to live in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSjE8xw_-Dg

And even when there's farmers who are kind to their animals, many of us have come to believe that it's wrong to enslave any type of living beings for our use and to decide to end their lives at our will when there's no real need to do so in this age, it's reall all about money. Those animals have feelings, they suffer, they experience terror and anguish like humans do. They also have family structures when allowed to keep them, they are simply other inhabitants of this planet who deserve that we respect their desire and right to live as the Creator intended. They do not deserve to be manually raped (like the dairy cows) to impregnate them so they can continue to produce milk, they do not deserve to have their newborn calves taken away a day or so later so we can steal milk that is rightfully theirs by keeping them hook to machines for hours on end. I could go on and on but I hope that this is enough for you to consider how some of us feel. As a child I was exposed to farm animals at an early age and like any other child who has I loved them and did not want to eat them. In fact, as a small child I disliked animal foods but I was forced to eat them, and eventually the double standard set by this world and enforced by my parents eventually numbed my feelings and I ate animals for most of my life, but I now deeply regret it, not only because of the suffering I contributed to cause but because of my own because of the loss of my health.

And there would be MANY more people feeling this way if the beef, dairy and egg industry didn't try so hard to hide what goes on in those factory farms and slaughterhouses. They've gone so far as to lobby for laws that equate an animal rights activist with a terrorist, sheesh! I guess profit is more important that morality. IMO the terrorists are them because not only they abuse and kill billions of innocent animals but they also sell an inferior product (with antibiotics and hormones, grown with corn instead of grass, etc.) to people thus contributing to ruining their health. But please, try to not be offended if your family doesn't use such practices, and even if you do I'm not judging you personally because you're very likely just doing what you learned was "best". But there's even cattle ranchers giving up what was once their livelihood once they learn better, one of them has been giving lectures around the country to educate other ranchers on the real meaning of what they're doing. All we can do is the best we know how, however, when some try to hide from the truth to continue doing the same thing is not honorable nor honest.

I've no doubt that you are a very nice person, so again, this is not personal. I just feel compelled to wake others up to what I see as a truth hidden for too long. And as the well-meaning person I believe that you are, I'm sure you'll agree with at least a few of the things I've said and that's good enough for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:26 AM

923 posts, read 526,569 times
TiredofSFL,

I completely understand your views and opinions. It is sad how people view what we do for a living and how we raise food, from grain to protein.

What is also sad is what people see via the media. The view where I'm at is completely different. But you are very correct. I am biased. I know how we raise livestock and grain. Easily could be called "factory farming". Not everyone respects the animals and the land.

Less farmers, less people who have contact with the farm and know what truly happens. When people don't know, the trust the media. I'm the same with big city living, looks like a zoo out of control. So I don't judge the life or beliefs until I witness it first hand. To do that I'd need to spend more than a weekend to fully understand.

I do wish you and your family the best. I respect your views and can see how you would believe what you do.

Moderation and balance are the important factors in any diet, IMHO.

Take care and best of health to you and your family. Continue education and educating others with your knowledge. We may not agree, today, but possibly someday.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:05 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
I thank you and commend you for your very decent reply. It's very refreshing to see someone whose thinking is fair and balanced and their actions very considerate to the feelings and opinions of others instead of acting defensively like most people do. I also understand where you are and I feel compassion for your position because you seem to be someone who may not have chosen to do what you do if you'd been given the opportunity to consider all that involves the business and the total impact on the animals, people and the planet.

I want to thank you for respecting my opinions because they were not arrived to on impulse but over the years. And the more I learned about the way animals are tortured their entire short lives and even at the slaughterhouse, how our health and the environment suffer too (karma maybe?), I just knew I'd been lied to for most of my life and that just like I'd been conditioned to put my natural feelings about animal aside (as a child I never really liked animal foods, and when I was exposed to many farm animals it just felt really wrong to hurt them) and became numb and indifferent about it I know many others have the same disconnect that I did so I feel it's my duty to spread the truth around.

Allow me please to share a video/documentary about a rancher who turned around and became a vegan, not with the thought of influencing you but so that you know that it's possible to leave that lifestyle once it begins to collide with personal values that are more important than just profits. If you're interested, which I hope you will be, click on the video and then bookmark it so you can watch it at your convenience He is by no means the only one, when you go to the YT page you will perhaps notice in the video suggestions that appear the story of a rancher's wife who also "woke up" to the truth and eventually convinced her husband to turn their farm into a sanctuary for rescued farm animals and there are probably others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZmH4gzyqs

I also wish you and your family the very best, especially good health and a long and happy life.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:25 AM

Thank you TiredOfSFL. I will watch, but you know I won't like it. lol!

I also want to spread the truth, where it will be heard. Some won't listen, that's fine. Not trying to change what people eat or their beliefs, just to educate. Then they can make their own decisions.

I do live in "BFE" and welcome you to see how we do things. I know it will probably never happen, and I'm sure it will not change your opinion or beliefs. I don't want to do that, I farm also...so eat more corn!!! lol

I have shown one vegetarian, she was surprised, but it didn't change her. I told her it wasn't to change her, just show that there is compassion for the land, livestock, employees, and end result the food we produce.

I've actually had to fire people for lack of care, both for the land and the animals. Now it is an important part of my interview process.

People will surprise you, both good and bad. I do appreciate those who care as much as you do about the environment. My son is similar to you, in that he has a great care for the earth and everything that lives on this rock.

Thank you very much for the kind words. Have a great weekend!

Yes, I will watch the video and I appreciate you showing it to me.

Later SFL

Old 07-29-2017, 11:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Thank you TiredOfSFL. I will watch, but you know I won't like it. lol!

I also want to spread the truth, where it will be heard. Some won't listen, that's fine. Not trying to change what people eat or their beliefs, just to educate. Then they can make their own decisions.

I do live in "BFE" and welcome you to see how we do things. I know it will probably never happen, and I'm sure it will not change your opinion or beliefs. I don't want to do that, I farm also...so eat more corn!!! lol

I have shown one vegetarian, she was surprised, but it didn't change her. I told her it wasn't to change her, just show that there is compassion for the land, livestock, employees, and end result the food we produce.

I've actually had to fire people for lack of care, both for the land and the animals. Now it is an important part of my interview process.

People will surprise you, both good and bad. I do appreciate those who care as much as you do about the environment. My son is similar to you, in that he has a great care for the earth and everything that lives on this rock.

Thank you very much for the kind words. Have a great weekend!

Yes, I will watch the video and I appreciate you showing it to me.

Later SFL
My only comment to your response and the poster is: there are 2 sides to every story and both sides have every right to be heard. It doesn't mean either is completely right or wrong. Have you considered this? Are you so sure that you are right, that you think others, who feel differently are automatically wrong?

Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My only comment to your response and the poster is: there are 2 sides to every story and both sides have every right to be heard. It doesn't mean either is completely right or wrong. Have you considered this? Are you so sure that you are right, that you think others, who feel differently are automatically wrong?
Nmnita, if I thought that others were wrong then I wouldn't continue education. I'll listen to the "other" side, I have for years. I've invited many people, from the big cities who are far removed from the farm, to see how we do things day to day. Only one has come.

I know that what I'm doing right now is right, by my standards and beliefs. I also know what is wrong, by my standards and beliefs. I don't do those things that I believe are wrong.

Do you believe you know my farm, livestock, employees, land, soil, are wrong?

Will you, Nmnita and TiredOfSFL, listen to the "other" side?

Old 07-29-2017, 12:39 PM

TiredOfSFL, I did watch the show. It reminded me of Food, Inc. So many things that are totally incorrect.

I'm honestly shocked that people believe this show.

Ask me any questions you want. You and Nmnita. I'll gladly answer, as long as I can ask questions.

Just being honest, guys.
As always, I still respect your views and opinions. I also wish you all the best.
K&K

Old 07-30-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Nmnita, if I thought that others were wrong then I wouldn't continue education. I'll listen to the "other" side, I have for years. I've invited many people, from the big cities who are far removed from the farm, to see how we do things day to day. Only one has come.

I know that what I'm doing right now is right, by my standards and beliefs. I also know what is wrong, by my standards and beliefs. I don't do those things that I believe are wrong.

Do you believe you know my farm, livestock, employees, land, soil, are wrong?

Will you, Nmnita and TiredOfSFL, listen to the "other" side?
I have heard the claims from the other side, I am still maintaining we all have our own views. What is right for one may not be for others and I do not think any of us should think the way we feel is right for everyone. That is my point.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have heard the claims from the other side, I am still maintaining we all have our own views. What is right for one may not be for others and I do not think any of us should think the way we feel is right for everyone. That is my point.

I agree 110%, Nmnita. I was just giving my opinion. I do hope you understand I'm not try'n to tell anyone how and what they should eat. Just giving input on what I know that is a fact, what is false, and what is somewhat "in-between".(as in I can't prove it right or wrong and I could see it from both sides)

It's similar to politics and religion, and food has become one of "those topics" I've noticed. IMHO, do what you know is best for you, your family, and your beliefs. Educate, educate, educate.

Take care, Nmnita!

Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I agree 110%, Nmnita. I was just giving my opinion. I do hope you understand I'm not try'n to tell anyone how and what they should eat. Just giving input on what I know that is a fact, what is false, and what is somewhat "in-between".(as in I can't prove it right or wrong and I could see it from both sides)

It's similar to politics and religion, and food has become one of "those topics" I've noticed. IMHO, do what you know is best for you, your family, and your beliefs. Educate, educate, educate.

Take care, Nmnita!
Fair enough: stay healthy and enjoy eating. It is one of the pleasures of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food