Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 02:19 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But who set that rule?
Majority rules, dude. Surely you remember that from kindergarten.

And there are no human carnivores. Humans are omnivores. Cats are carnivores.

More people eat meat than not; therefore, you have meat on the menu.

And honestly, I haven't been to a restaurant in ages - aside from fast food joints that feature burgers or chicken, etc. - that didn't have at least a half dozen meat-free options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't know any omnivores who are completely clueless about what vegetarians or vegans eat. That's just one more stereotype. People recoil when they hear the word vegan? That's news to me.
Same here. It's my experience that people recoil when they hear stereotypes tossed about with bias and without regard for the truth, no matter which ones they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,064 times
Yesterday I ordered taco salad. The 2 choices on the menu were chicken or VEGAN in all caps. I ordered vegan.

I was given one with chicken and no dairy. I could see the chicken on top. I said something and they made me another one.

The 2nd was covered in cheese and had sour cream on top. (Sour cream isn't even vegetarian.) I just said, "OK thanks," and scraped all the dairy stuff off the top. 2 bites in, I discovered a piece of chicken, which I picked out, thinking it was just one mistake. Then I found a mound of chicken, so I picked that out.

As I was realizing tiny shreds of chicken were also incorporated into the beans, the (Mexican*) chef came over with a "vegan" one and apologized. I said, "Oh, thank you so much." The bowl on this one was half full (the first 2 were full). It contained lettuce, cucumbers, and salsa. Who puts cucumbers on taco salad?! Who eats just lettuce, cucumbers and salsa together?! But anyways, where's the substance of this meal? Oh, there was about 1 tbs of guac on it, otherwise nada. Jeez.

Once again, I walked away hungry. I don't really eat much, but especially when it's lunch, I need at least 500 calories to keep my energy level up.

This place, btw, has an executive chef who wrote a vegan cookbook.

I don't understand why restaurants don't stock a small amount of faux meats and call it a day. It would be so easy for them.

*I mention this because, theoretically, she knows how to make a good taco salad!

Old 08-04-2016, 10:31 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Sour cream isn't even vegetarian.

Why? Vegetarians eat dairy.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:53 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I don't know any omnivores who are completely clueless about what vegetarians or vegans eat. That's just one more stereotype. People recoil when they hear the word vegan? That's news to me.
Well, do check out your buddy Mark on the NJ forum who recently referred to "dopey vegans" in one of his posts.

Seriously, I find more people are reacting intelligently to hearing I am vegetarian or that my dd is vegan. Like asking questions or relating how they have modified their own diets.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:56 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Sour cream isn't even vegetarian.

Why? Vegetarians eat dairy.
With pierogis!

Old 08-05-2016, 09:06 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
OP, maybe you should just eat at home. Nothing seems to satisfy you.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:51 AM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
With pierogis!
And sauteed onions. My favorite is potato cheese, but I'll eat any of them...with sour cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food