Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 12:50 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,259,719 times

Advertisements

Another study funded by the meat industry?

Potatoes and cereals increase risk of heart disease while dairy cuts the risk | Health | Life & Style | Daily Express
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 12:56 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,454,597 times
Carbs become sugar, overweight and diabetes are directly related to high carb diets.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Carbs become sugar, overweight and diabetes are directly related to high carb diets.
1960s mentality is still alive and well.

The type of carbohydrate, i.e., simple vs. complex is the issue.

Why Carbohydrates Are So Important in Diabetes - Type 2 Diabetes - Health.com

Meanwhile, the medical community -- notwithstanding the study in the OP -- continues to condemn the high fat red meat Western diet.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
1960s mentality is still alive and well.

The type of carbohydrate, i.e., simple vs. complex is the issue.

Why Carbohydrates Are So Important in Diabetes - Type 2 Diabetes - Health.com

Meanwhile, the medical community -- notwithstanding the study in the OP -- continues to condemn the high fat red meat Western diet.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:50 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,712,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I eat them all the time & I'm healthy.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,241,230 times
Without even having read the study yet, I see one glaring issue: this appears to be an ecological study, which makes it rather unorthodox and ballsy for the lead author to draw direct conclusions and "call for current dietary advice to be overturned". Not just because it conflicts with decades of research, but because this type of study is useful for generating a hypothesis, in order to do further studies to reach a conclusion. Again, I'll try and find the study, but did they adjust for lifestyle, body mass, whole grains vs. refined grains? Are all carbs, from apples to apple strudel lumped together as "carbs"?

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 10-16-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I eat them all the time & I'm healthy.

Yeah, in the 1970s I was pumping iron and eating all the animal protein, plus supplements, I could buy, beg, borrow, and steal. Strong as a bull but cholesterol and blood pressure were through the roof.

Read the Pritikin books and went vegetarian -- not vegan, mind you -- but a vey strict vegetarian.

Old fart now, 72, not strong as a bull anymore, but still able to go up-and-down my hill 30-90 min. per session every day except in rain, and cholesterol has been under 150 for years with LDL (the bad stuff) well under 100 and BP 100-120/60-70.

One anecdote does not make a case, but just sayin'.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:20 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,241,230 times
Okay, I found it. Here we go:

[URL]https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308702257_Food_consumption_and_the_actual_statisti cs_of_cardiovascular_diseases_an_epidemiological_c omparison_of_42_European_countries[/URL]

"Understandably, the risk of CVDs also dependson other factors (genetics, stress, physical activity), but
they were not targeted in the present study because their
role is much more difficult to assess."

"Understandably, our list of variables potentially con-
tributing to the development of CVDs cannot be regar-
ded as exhaustive. For example, the information onphysical activity was self-reported and incomplete, and
the FAOSTAT database lists no data on salt intake."

"Our study cannot differentiate between refined and
unrefined cereals, but both are highly concentrated
sources of carbohydrates"

So, essentially, potatoes and cereals are the culprit when other known risk factors are not taken into account; even smoking was only marginally factored in.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:47 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,772,962 times
Quote:

But only after the eater has already started building insulin resistance from years and years of primarily high-fat foods. A high-carb diet becomes dangerous only after you become insulin-resistant and can no longer process the glucose -- or after your Islets of Langerhans short out and you stop making any insulin at all.

In other words, it's not the bun that kills you -- it's the hot dog inside it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food