Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 12:41 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Swiss Müsli recipe

2 cups large steel oats
1tsp cinnamon
1 tsp flax seed
Honey pending how sweet you like it
Roasted almonds as you like
juice from one lemon
Green grapes
1 banana
1 apple of your choice
Blueberries
Peach
Plum
( You can choose your fruit pending on the season)
Mix generously with milk or plain yogurt

I make my Müsli the night before if it is with milk.We love it when the oats are soaked up from the milk.In the morning I just mix it one more time.The aroma of the lemon comes out.
If done with yogurt I add the yogurt an hour before breakfast well mixed.

This sounds really good, I never thought of adding lemon juice. I typically add lemon juice to a lot of different foods, it enhances the flavor, but I have not done it to steel cut oats. Thanks!

Sending you some Reputation points as soon as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Why do you think fat is so bad for you? I feel like that was the nutrition advice from when I grew up in the 80's and people became fatter than ever because they basically replaced much of the fat in their diets with sugars and other carbs.

Instant oatmeal is high on the glycemic index so worse for you than other types of oatmeal because your body treats it more like sugar, if health is your main concern here.

Like some posters here, I am not crazy about oatmeal (it's the gluey texture), but I will sometimes eat the regular or steel cut oats. I have found that I prefer them prepared kind of soupy so I add more water, which mitigates the gluiness.

I eat carbs because I love them, but I also eat fat, and I am the thinnest I've been in my adult life.

I seldom eat breakfast because I'm not hungry in the morning. When I forced myself to eat it because it is supposed to be healthier that way, I was heavier. Lunch is my favorite and biggest meal of the day. YMMV.
Yeah, I really, really miss my eggs in the morning. But, I had to make some changes to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, etc., so bye bye eggs. Really love my homemade tortillas and a yummy mix of beans, rice and veggies - but I need to lose more weight.

I also am not a huge fan of oatmeal, but, it was the next thing to try to lose some more weight that was also healthy. It's okay with lots of blueberries, so I get a blueberry in every bite or more.

Right now, Costco has some fantastic huge blackberries from Mexico, I think. They're cheaper than the blueberries they're now getting from Peru, I think. The organic blueberries were around $10/pound - ouch! - and the blackberries were only around $4 or $5. And they're delicious.

And good for you and they help you get the oatmeal down ha ha.

I'm just having a really hard time losing more weight. My blood tests are all really good, although I still have high cholesterol, but I'm not going to worry about it. My doctor said it's probably just because of the extra fat I'm storing in my body. None of it is from eating animal products. So, it's just my body making it or storing it.

Anyway, I have to make more changes as to what I eat, so for now, I think I need to cut out bread and avocado. I miss my younger days when I could eat anything and stay skinny. For now, though - it's oatmeal for breakfast.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:18 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Default oatmeal

Well, this recipe won't change the opinion of those who hate oats....
but if you like them, you might like them even better cooked this way.
I do.

Use 5-minute oats, not 1-minute or instant.
Use equal parts oats and water.

Bring the water to a boil, add the oats, then turn the heat down low,
and let it simmer for 8 minutes; don't stir.

Remove the pot from the burner and let it stand for 5 minutes.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I really get this. I can't stand it microwaved. So, the only way I can handle it is to put an instant packet into a bowl and, and I also add some blueberries
Remember, hot cereal doesn't begin and end with oatmeal... see my post from last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
rolled oats, or Trader Joe's 4-grain cereal (rye/barley/oats/wheat), or quinoa, or cream of buckwheat + cream of rice... and soon will try cooking corn grits + quinoa.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 PM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
here's one of my recipes. I'm lucky because I grew up on cheap food which translated, not much meat at all.

Old Fashioned Oats prepared as instructed
a small tab of real butter
salt & pepper
onions
real parmesan cheese (grated)

I sometimes add chili pepper, turmeric, or any of your favorite herbs. I find it quite satisfying and it's the best food you can eat in my opinion.

I eat a lot of carbs but am really fit. It's a big fallacy that carbs are the enemy. It's all about saving the meat industry. I like meat, but there's no reason to eliminate pasta, potatoes, and all the other good stuff they've (marketers) have villan-ised.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:20 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
I use regular rolled oats. I pour boiled water on top of it, cover, and let it stand for two minutes. That's the extent of my "cooking."

I add ground flax seeds, or whole pumpkin seeds, and blueberries.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:41 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
I alternate the following:

Cherios w/ skim milk, and blueberries or banana over the top if prices are good

Egg white/beaters ommlette w/ low fat chedder, and 2 pcs whole wheat toast w/ light butter thily spread

old fashioned oatmeal w/ cinnamon and berries on top if prices are okay, otherwise skip the berries.

2 eggs w/ 2 slices whole wheat toast light butter thinly spread

most days, mid morning snack 1 small square of 85% dark chocolate

I wont pay $5/lb+ for Blueberries (or any other berries), so I'll use 1/2 banana instead sometimes.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
I'm doing Intermittent Fasting OMAD, and my one meal a day is breakfast. so my one meal might consist of any one (1) of the following, along with green or black tea with organic Stevia. I use Earth Balance non-soy margarine, and sometimes add a teaspoon of black strap mollasses. Unsweetened almond milk if I have coffee or bake cornbread (ground flax seed set in water for egg substitute).

• Stir-fry tofu and vegetables (cube and freeze tofu and dust in cornstarch; fry in olive oil)
• Legumes (pinto beans, black eyed peas, lentils) and rice or cornbread
• Oatmeal with bananas, strawberries, apples, walnuts, raisins and sugar free peanut butter
• Stir-fry rice and vegetables with soy sausage
• Soups: vegetable, mushroom, bean. With a bowl of rice, with low-sodium soy sauce and soy margarine
• An apple and an orange. Or I juice, especially carrots
• Three-bean salad, soy meat, mashed potatoes or steamed sweet potatoes
• Vegetable plate: mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, okra, sliced tomatoes
• Salad with romaine, mixed greens, sunflower seeds, radish, green peppers, green onions, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, walnuts, cucumbers, mushrooms, baby spinach
• Gluten-free pasta with soy margarine, vegan cheeses, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, baby spinach
• Hummus and celery. Hemp hearts and chia seeds

I use a lot of spices, too: garlic, onions, tumeric, cumin, parsley, cilantro.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:41 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Vegetarian

I love cereal: flakes and oat circles. I add nut milk, a few nuts and perhaps half a banana.

I also eat steel cut oats and oatmeal with a sprinkling of muesli for a sweeter taste. The same added ingredients as above.

Plain yogurt with frozen strawberries from our garden and a dash of honey from the resident hives.

Eggs with soy sausage.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:19 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Oat bran with cereal and almond milk or Vega protein shake and protein cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food