Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times

Advertisements

Hello! Honestly, I have not encountered anyone who was critical of someone choosing to be Vegan. One of our kids did it for a full year when about 12 or so, we have relatives who are vegan and are raising their children this way -- no problems with it at all. Just a non-issue!!!

Old 08-16-2017, 12:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Honestly? It's because of people like the OP.

Do NOT comment on peoples food choices at the supermarket, if you did that to me I would report you to a manager...
What would the manager do? Tell me I'm bad? Spank me? Give me an infraction?

Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What would the manager do? Tell me I'm bad? Spank me? Give me an infraction?
If it happened more than once, I would imagine you would be fired.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-16-2017, 12:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If it happened more than once, I would imagine you would be fired.
I think it would be fun if employees did this.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:04 PM

923 posts, read 526,490 times
https://breakingmuscle.com/healthy-e...eat-for-health

Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Deep down, I don't believe that it is bad. I'm not ignorant nor in denial. By suggesting such things is an insult to my intelligence. I don't have anything bad to say about vegans. Why must I be insulted?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:59 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
I won't make you choose but 15 years from now when your suffering from chronic disease you'll wish you made the change.
But this isn't necessarily true. People are not doomed to developing a chronic disease because they ate meat. My mother is 88. She went into kidney failure two years ago due to polycystic kidney disease, which she was born with. It's genetic. Now on dialysis, she has to eat a certain amount of animal protein to keep healthy. If she was vegetarian, I'm sure she would not be told she HAS to eat meat, but for her, eating meat is keeping her healthier. She also had a quad bypass around the time she went into kidney failure, but again, she was 86 at the time. She has always eaten meat, and she has always enjoyed good health. Her mother always ate meat and had PKD, though she never went on dialysis. She died at 94.

I don't eat meat for ethical reasons, and I hope it will keep me healthier, too, but that is isn't my primary reason.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Default Why are people so against veganism?

For the same reason people typically don't like having members of religious groups knock on their door and proselytize. It's not enough to just be vegan; you try to vegangelize to everyone else. I've been veg'n for 28 years and even I find it annoying AF, especially when it's coming from a new convert: you're all on fire right now, but there's a [URL="http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animals-and-us/201412/84-vegetarians-and-vegans-return-meat-why%3famp"]70-86% [/URL]chance you will revert back to an omni diet within a year, so you might want to reconsider your crusading until you've actually walked the walk for a few years. Or just leave people alone and let them come to you if they have questions.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:32 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
For the same reason people typically don't like having members of religious groups knock on their door and proselytize. It's not enough to just be vegan; you try to vegangelize to everyone else. I've been veg'n for 28 years and even I find it annoying AF, especially when it's coming from a new convert: you're all on fire right now, but there's a 70-86% chance you will revert back to an omni diet within a year, so you might want to reconsider your crusading until you've actually walked the walk for a few years. Or just leave people alone and let them come to you if they have questions.
Thank you for the link to Dr Herzog's article; was very interesting. It answers some questions I've had concerning the demographics of vegetarians & vegans.

Reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion the title of the thread would more accurately read something like, "Why are People so against Vegans?". Because we now have some compelling answers to *this* answer, don't we? At least I do.

PS, Ms.Mathlete, what is the apostrophe in the word vegan about? I've not seen that before.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post

PS, Ms.Mathlete, what is the apostrophe in the word vegan about? I've not seen that before.

It's shorthand for "vegan or vegetarian"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food